IGNORED

Game Debate #59: Dragon Warrior

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Shadow of the Colossus
    • Katamari Damacy
    • Gran Turismo 3

5 hours ago, elprincipe said:

1. Dreadfully boring back in the day, possibly even more dreadfully boring today. Spending large portions of gameplay time navigating menus while spending hours grinding repetitively in a game that takes no skill whatsoever is not my idea of fun.

Good thing not everyone thought so or else we may have never gotten the JRPG genre!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8/10

I really, really liked this game, even though I didn't give it a proper playthrough until maybe about 10 years ago. To me, this game represents a very brief period in the beginning of JRPGs where the main focus was still the adventure, survival and open-world exploration rather than ridiculous narratives with areas of the world blocked by scripted, story events. I absolutely love how they just drop you into the world and let you figure it out on your own, much like The Legend of Zelda. Plus it's simple enough that anyone can pick it up and get a handle of things.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

5/10 but everyone should still play it.

I feel that.

Dragon Warrior is on my list of games that I really want to play through someday, but I'm too afraid to start because I don't know if I have the patience to stick it out.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CasualCart said:

I feel that.

Dragon Warrior is on my list of games that I really want to play through someday, but I'm too afraid to start because I don't know if I have the patience to stick it out.

-CasualCart

It’s gotta be one of the shortest RPGs ever if that helps you pop it in. You could easily play it in a weekend.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It’s gotta be one of the shortest RPGs ever if that helps you pop it in. You could easily play it in a weekend.

That's actually super encouraging to know haha. I've attempted Final Fantasy at least twice but never made significant progress. I've never beaten a Pokemon game either.

RPGs are the most alluring breed of painful experiences for me.

-CasualCart

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I feel that.

-CasualCart

Got a phone?  It's like a couple dollars on there.  Pretty hard not to find time for 5min here 30min there if you just tap the app.  NO excuse with that version as it's basically always on you and fires up instantly.  FInal Fantasy 1-6 of the N-era stuff is there too, super cheap, and then 7-9 plus some other stuff too at a higher price point.

Edited by Tanooki

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Got a phone?  It's like a couple dollars on there.  Pretty hard not to find time for 5min here 30min there if you just tap the app.  NO excuse with that version as it's basically always on you and fires up instantly.  FInal Fantasy 1-6 of the N-era stuff is there too, super cheap, and then 7-9 plus some other stuff too at a higher price point.

Why would anyone in their right mind get phone versions...you can't even use buttons! 😛 

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Why would anyone in their right mind get phone versions...you can't even use buttons! 😛 

Seriously?  It's a basic RPG, it's not like you're trying to platform or play street fighter.  Come on...  You don't need buttons for something this basic that's already menu driven.  That's a big fat excuse there.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Seriously?  It's a basic RPG, it's not like you're trying to platform or play street fighter.  Come on...  You don't need buttons for something this basic that's already menu driven.  That's a big fat excuse there.

Saying you don't need buttons to play a game is like saying you don't need pedals to drive a car. 😛 

Graphics Team · Posted
21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My phone is too old to download games, but I can still try out that "bite-sized" approach on the NES as long as it allows for frequent in-game saves.

-CasualCart

5 hours ago, CasualCart said:

My phone is too old to download games, but I can still try out that "bite-sized" approach on the NES as long as it allows for frequent in-game saves.

-CasualCart

Yeah the old DQ1 on the phone there allows save anytime/anywhere.  SO if it's a problem, saving often would solve loss issues.

6 hours ago, Estil said:

Saying you don't need buttons to play a game is like saying you don't need pedals to drive a car. 😛 

I'm starting to wonder if your idea of usable technology is just one step beyond 2 cans and some string, seriously.  RPGs with basic walk around mechanics and progress through basic menus don't need a button, it's not that hard to grasp.  A basic touch panel where you just move your finger to walk or tap to walk to X spot, and tap X icon on screen to attack hardly needs a button loaded controller to play any better.

Editorials Team · Posted
51 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm starting to wonder if your idea of usable technology is just one step beyond 2 cans and some string, seriously.  RPGs with basic walk around mechanics and progress through basic menus don't need a button, it's not that hard to grasp.  A basic touch panel where you just move your finger to walk or tap to walk to X spot, and tap X icon on screen to attack hardly needs a button loaded controller to play any better.

Estil's a bit of a homebody who doesn't have much interest/need in portable game, much less mobile, so I could see how that doesn't offer him much utility.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Estil's a bit of a homebody who doesn't have much interest/need in portable game, much less mobile, so I could see how that doesn't offer him much utility.

Not to mention I'm afraid if I do take a DS/3DS (which are the special Mario and Zelda themed ones respectively so replacing those would NOT be easy!) or a phone or something with me I might wreck it or misplace it or something 😞  And yes I've seen a few phones with spiderweb cracked screens and one small child banging a tablet over and over until it got the "black blob of death" on the screen. 😞 And even when I was working they obviously wouldn't let you use a smartphone while on duty (for obvious reasons) so it wouldn't done me much good even then.

Edited by Estil

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ummm, I do have a PS4 (and the PS's before it) and all the Nintendo consoles except the Switch...dude I am NO stranger to technology. 😛   And I can and do use my late wife's hand-me-down red/black tablet so I can play the Simon's Cat games on it 😄 

And I do use a cordless phone with Caller ID on it (so I can see who's calling and especially when talking with my wife I liked to have it on speaker so it feels a bit more like she was there with me, if that makes sense)...it's not like I just use a plain Model 2500 (wiki it) phone or something 😛 

Edited by Estil

On 7/24/2021 at 6:25 AM, cj_robot said:

To me, this game represents a very brief period in the beginning of JRPGs where the main focus was still the adventure, survival and open-world exploration rather than ridiculous narratives with areas of the world blocked by scripted, story events. I absolutely love how they just drop you into the world and let you figure it out on your own, much like The Legend of Zelda.

This is why I pretty much only play old school 8-bit RPG's; even by FFIII (on the Famicom) you are so on-the-rails that there is literally only one way to go for about 95% of the game.  Dragon Warrior may be brutally crude, but man is the sense of freedom to make your own path refreshing...

9/10 for me, but I am definitely in that nostalgic age group.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, fox said:

INice it have an RPG you can beat in under 10 hours, sometimes you just want to jump into a game and go without it being a 50+ hour commitment.

I kinda like how in blue chip JRPGs you feel like you're really getting your money's worth though...much better than some cheap phone game crap! 😄