IGNORED

Jumping over that d*mned flagpole

fcgamer

It sucks watching the balance in my bank account dwindle week by week, as I sit at home in a "soft lockdown" with little work. The only silver lining is that thus time off from work has given me the time to finally catch up on a lot of things and one of them is gaming.

Last night I was playing Totally Rad (to compare it to the Famicom version, Magic John) and afterwards decided to do a quick Mario sesh, as I had just purchased a copy of Khan's The Incident to send to an Argentinian friend for his birthday, and I was waiting for my friend to get online.

I played through the game, then went for round two and beat the second quest as well.

It got me thinking though, has anyone here personally ever actually jumped over the flagpole in this game, legitimately?

I'm sure most of us have tried it with Game Genie (it was the first thing my brother and I did when we got ours), then there's the turtle glitch in stage 1-1. And how about on stage 3-3? I've seen some online videos of people allegedly jumping over the flagpole in this stage, but everytime I try to do it, the flagpole "bends", and I don't get over.

So has anyone here actually gotten over that blasted flagpole in a legitimate way?

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@JamesRobot : I saw that video last night, it's the turtle glitch I mentioned in my first post. As it exploits a glitch, I wouldn't consider this a "legit" way of doing it, despite looking really cool.

Guess it would help if I would read the whole post.  I believe I stopped at "Game Genie."  I do the same thing with emails too.  😅

But I do consider the turtle hop legit.  You are working within the parameters of the game without manipulating the code ala the genie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

But I do consider the turtle hop legit.  You are working within the parameters of the game without manipulating the code ala the genie.

Actually I agree with you there, but I was more just curious if anyone here had managed to do this "normally", i.e. without exploiting glitches or anything.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've done it legit with no glitches on the level that has a spring right near the end instead of a staircase; I think it's 2-1...

Thanks you reminded me of that after decades of time as I recall doing it back when that game was current generation stuff in the 80s, but haven't since.  Just like cheating, time runs out, but you can enjoy the fact you pulled it off at least until you croak at 0.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, guitarzombie said:

I think the only 'legit' way to do it is in 3-3 IIRC.

EDIT...  I see it was mentioned.  Nevermind.

If he did it a bit faster he would have eventually found the second flagpole all the way at the right 😁 

The second flagpole takes you to the secret World 3 castle where the boss is purple Ganon 😁😁

Edited by phart010
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Do you know how to get fireballs while small?

I only remember this because I was seeing Kosmic play some Mario hacks.  You have to be Super Mario and get to a castle level.  Then you have to time your jump to get damaged by bowser and touch the axe at the same time.  It screws up the game states.  Then you get a mushroom then fire flower.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

I only remember this because I was seeing Kosmic play some Mario hacks.  You have to be Super Mario and get to a castle level.  Then you have to time your jump to get damaged by bowser and touch the axe at the same time.  It screws up the game states.  Then you get a mushroom then fire flower.

Yes, you're Super Mario, then you get a mushroom which turns you small, then you get a flower and remain small.

I used to do this back in the 1980s, none of my friends were aware of it.