IGNORED

Limit pushing NES games

Tulpa

One of the threads on the other forum struck me, about games that pushed the limits of NES hardware. 

My choices are:

Recca

Nuff said

Zanac

For the AI and almost no slowdown despite sprite overload (only encountered a little bit on level 12, when the AI was desperate to murder me.)

Batman Return of the Joker

Fantastic graphics.

Any others?

• Like 1

I was in absolute awe as a kid playing Kirby's Adventure for the first time. The fact that damn near all of the enemies had unique power ups blew my mind. Mario 3 had, what 6 or 7? (And the best one was limited to only 1 stage. I'm looking at you, boot) But Kirby's power ups seemed endless!

• Like 1

During the life of the NES, I also was blown away by Kirby's Adventure.  Couldn't believe that game was possible on an NES.

GunNac does some pretty crazy stuff that I think deserves consideration.  A lot of the early shmups are trash and it does some great things.

Though maybe not pushing the limits, I also thought games with huge sprites or characters were impressive.  Jackie Chan's Action Kung-fu, boss battles in Totally Rad, and a lot of stuff in Bonk's Adventure were at the very least visually impressive, even if it didn't necessarily "push" the system.

38 minutes ago, Croz of Vinheim said:

Prince of Persia always felt like a heck of a port for the NES to handle.  I agree on Return of the Joker, I remember feeling like that game had insane graphics.   Battletoads felt that way for me too. 

I played so much Battletoads as a kid sometimes I forget all the crazy stuff they put in that game.

I remember being blown away the first time I faced the level one boss and it changed to his POV for the battle.  That's something I've never seen before and honestly can't remember since.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrMark0673 said:

I played so much Battletoads as a kid sometimes I forget all the crazy stuff they put in that game.

I remember being blown away the first time I faced the level one boss and it changed to his POV for the battle.  That's something I've never seen before and honestly can't remember since.

I know this is a NES topic, but I felt that way about bosses in Yoshi's Island on SNES. Those had a completely different feel from anything I'd played to that point. (Especially Baby Boswer at the end)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Br81zad said:

I know this is a NES topic, but I felt that way about bosses in Yoshi's Island on SNES. Those had a completely different feel from anything I'd played to that point. (Especially Baby Boswer at the end)

Yoshi's Island had one of the coolest final boss fights on the Super Nintendo in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

I always thought Fire 'N Ice was one of the most gorgeous games on the system. 

Never played it, and doubt I'd be able to afford it nowadays. 

Looked it up on Youtube... Looks nice! Stylish and bouncy graphics. Not sure I'd say it's limit pushing, but definitely easy on the eyes. And seeing as it's a puzzler, I desperately want it and will seethe with envy at not being able to afford/play it...

Little Samson always tickled my eyeballs though.