IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #17: What Is a movie that you didn't give a fair shake the first time that you need to try again?

Editorials Team · Posted

Hmm... I'm not sure.  I can't think of a single movie I enjoy where I wasn't on board with the first viewing.

I guess Blade Runner.  But the first time I tried to watch it I was like 9, so I'm not putting that on me 😅

edit: I misread the title.  I DO own and enjoy Blade Runner now.

This thread will definitely offer some interesting insight into people's nonsensical hangups though 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Hmm... I'm not sure.  I can't think of a single movie I enjoy where I wasn't on board with the first viewing.

I guess Blade Runner.  But the first time I tried to watch it I was like 9, so I'm not putting that on me 😅

This thread will definitely offer some interesting insight into people's nonsensical hangups though 😂

I have tried Blade Runner a couple of times and about an hour in I shut it off because its so slow n dull.  I really wanna like it but I cant.

With blade runner there are several cuts and iirc the ultimate cut is considered by far the best. Its a slow movie for sure but im glad i spent the time to watch it.

For me its the godfather. I tried to watch it once a couple years ago but lost interest at some point. I just don't think i was in the right frame of mind for it at the time.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

A few of mine.

The African Queen- highly rated, but was a slog for me, and it felt like the only reason it was rated so high was due to that presence of the top actor and actress of the first half of the century of film starring in their only film together: Bogart and Hepburn.

Jurassic Park- I’m admittedly not a big fan of big action films that focus on the CGI versus the story, but usually love all of Spielberg’s films. Not sure if I just caught it when I wasn’t in the mood to watch it, but it made me never watch another in the series. 

Love Actually- a movie that should be right in my wheelhouse as I love romantic comedies and Christmas movies, but none of the couples had any chemistry, and most of the people were awful. 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, doner24 said:

Jurassic Park

On 7/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, doner24 said:

I’m admittedly not a big fan of big action films that focus on the CGI versus the story,

You should definitely give it a re-watch since this sentence does not describe Jurassic Park in any way.  

In my late high school and early college years, I started to get into the Kevin Smith movies.  While his movies are far from perfect, I've always really enjoyed them and watched many of them several times.  The one movie of his that I couldn't get into was Chasing Amy.  That movie is more of a drama than a comedy and while there is nothing wrong with that, at the time I originally watched it, I think I was expecting it to be just like his other movies.  I was bored and I never watched it again.  Then last year after the new Jay and Silent Bob movie came out I decided to re-watch everything again including Chasing Amy.  This time I really enjoyed it and I would argue it's probably one of his better films.  It helps to be in the right mindset.  Also, for this movie, it also helps to understand the context of when this movie was made.  

• Like 1

I admit I've never given Zach Snyder's superhero movies a fair shake... I've never managed to sit through one all the way. I wasn't especially excited about them, and the bad reviews definitely turned me away. But I know they also have some very vocal fans. Batman v Superman it took me 3 sittings to finish and I didn't like it... and Justice League I never made it more than 30 or 40 minutes into it before getting interrupted and I just never got around to restarting.

Administrator · Posted

For me, one quick one that comes to mind is Reservoir Dogs.  I enjoyed Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill and a lot of the quirky Tarantino films.  I heard a lot about Reservoir Dogs, and people seemed to REALLY enjoy it.  I watched it, and I don't know, it just didn't click with me.  I was quite underwhelmed and didn't really enjoy all that much.  I could spot the Tarantino style very easily, the the certain bits of humor, but for some reason, it just didn't quite pull me in at all.

Maybe I need to give it another shot - this was many years ago.

Homebrew Team · Posted
On 7/5/2021 at 10:56 PM, doner24 said:

The African Queen- highly rated, but was a slog for me, and it felt like the only reason it was rated so high was due to that presence of the top actor and actress of the first half of the century of film starring in their only film together: Bogart and Hepburn.

I enjoyed The Afraid Queen despite me not usually liking Katrine Hepburn.  It is a slow movie though and Hepburn was grating on me.

I do prefer Bogart's other movies.  Key Largo and In a Lonely Place to name a couple.