IGNORED

Remaining Sealed NES Game Collection

Hey all. 

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. 

My video game collecting habits have changed several times over the years (as do most people's) and during that time I've sold and traded off several bits and pieces. I was within reaching distance of a sealed NES collection at once stage but have traded the majority of it away as I prioritze collecting prototype and debug hardware and software. I'm currently down to having 44 sealed games remaing. 

I know there is a current buzz around sealed games but the shine just isn't there for me any more as I've fallen down another rabbit hole. A much more expensive one if I'm honest 😅

Should I bale out now and use the money to help buy more items that I'm currently collecting or should I hold onto them and use the funds in the future when I'm stuck? I'm not completely against holding on to them, as my end goal is a video game museum type setup but if I did sell them I'd like them to all go at once. At the moment they are just sitting in the bottom of a closet getting no love. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

If you're holding on to them, and they aren't bringing you joy, and the funds you could get from them can help you obtain something that does bring you joy, then why not sell them off while the market is reasonably hot?  It may get even better, it may get worse, but you certainly wouldn't be "selling low"...

On 11/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, TVGP said:

My rabbit hole is any prototype or debug I come across that interests me. They can work out pretty expensive. 

Mix of common and "kinda" harder to find games 

Al. 

I mean, given what you're telling me I wouldn't worry about it.   Just follow your interests.

• Thanks 1

Obviously the value depends on the rarity of the individual games, but you could easily cash out at $100+/game for a mix of commons/uncommons. I was recently watching an auction for a bunch of CIB games in great condition with plastic wrap still intact and it ended up at about $100 per game, even though there were a lot of commons.

I say do what you love. Take the Marie Kondo approach: if you look at your sealed collection and it doesn't bring you joy, it's time to cash out. 

44 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Obviously the value depends on the rarity of the individual games, but you could easily cash out at $100+/game for a mix of commons/uncommons. I was recently watching an auction for a bunch of CIB games in great condition with plastic wrap still intact and it ended up at about $100 per game, even though there were a lot of commons.

I say do what you love. Take the Marie Kondo approach: if you look at your sealed collection and it doesn't bring you joy, it's time to cash out. 

That ended low, actually, because it was poorly listed. There were some top notch CIBs legit mint like 5-screw Zelda, hangtab Metroid and Kid Icarus, Hangtab Castlevania etc. Had that been listed better it would have gone for 5 figures. A few hours after it ended, a 5 screw Zelda in likely slightly not as amazing shape went for $4200.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

13 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

That ended low, actually, because it was poorly listed. There were some top notch CIBs legit mint like 5-screw Zelda, hangtab Metroid and Kid Icarus, Hangtab Castlevania etc. Had that been listed better it would have gone for 5 figures. A few hours after it ended, a 5 screw Zelda in likely slightly not as amazing shape went for $4200.

I think it could've gone as high as 7 or 8k, but wouldn't have been very profitable for a reseller at that price. I pegged that Zelda at $1500 (couldn't tell if it was a TM or R from the pics on his Facebook page, but it had a tear in upper back corner of the actual box). If you look closely at his pictures (https://www.facebook.com/DadWithTheToys/), essentially none of the boxes had stamped hangtabs (maybe Kid Icarus, but it's hard to tell), so I didn't value them much over $100 each. I put my high bid in the 4k range and I would have considered that a good deal. That being said, having the plastic wrap doesn't mean much to me as I usually just take it off, so I didn't want to push into the 5k range.

No clue why a first edition (TM, 5-screw) Zelda would go for $4200 since multiple have sold for less than $2000 in the past month, but sometimes bidding goes crazy on mint copies.

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think it could've gone as high as 7 or 8k, but wouldn't have been very profitable for a reseller at that price. I pegged that Zelda at $1500 (couldn't tell if it was a TM or R from the pics on his Facebook page, but it had a tear in upper back corner of the actual box). If you look closely at his pictures (https://www.facebook.com/DadWithTheToys/), essentially none of the boxes had stamped hangtabs (maybe Kid Icarus, but it's hard to tell), so I didn't value them much over $100 each. I put my high bid in the 4k range and I would have considered that a good deal. That being said, having the plastic wrap doesn't mean much to me as I usually just take it off, so I didn't want to push into the 5k range.

No clue why a first edition (TM, 5-screw) Zelda would go for $4200 since multiple have sold for less than $2000 in the past month, but sometimes bidding goes crazy on mint copies.

I think many of them did have hangtabs, just underneath the plastic ones, which were on shrink wrap and not the box itself. I can see them on KI, Metroid, Rush N Attack, Rygar, and a number more as well. Don’t think on CV, though, and the Mega Man is not a Dr. Wright, as I had presumed. A Dr. Wright in that condition is prob a $5,000 game in this new market. 

• Wow! 1