IGNORED

Is it Nintendo DS or Gameboy DS?

phart010

Is it Nintendo DS or Gameboy DS?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Nintendo DS or Gameboy DS?

• Nintendo DS
    • Gameboy DS

I've never heard it called the "Gameboy DS".  It was never even a part of it's branding (other than having compatibility with GBA games).

Calling this a "Game Boy" is like Ma calling your NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and PS5 today your "Nintender.".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I've never heard it called the "Gameboy DS".  It was never even a part of it's branding (other than having compatibility with GBA games).

Calling this a "Game Boy" is like Ma calling your NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and PS5 today your "Nintender.".

I know this.

But I always blurt out Gameboy DS whenever I’m talking. Been that way ever since It first came out. Can’t not do it.

My daughters even call it a Gameboy now because of me.

I was curious to know if this same issue affects anyone else

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

I've heard the comment before, not sure if it's just something that stuck to me, but I will correct people.  Not rudely, I'm nice about it, but I don't leave it alone. 🙂  No that's just a Gameboy, or no that's just a Nintendo DS.  The Gameboy had one screen, the Gameboy came before the DS, they're not the same, but I get it.

• Like 1

Nintendo made a big deal about it being a separate product line from the gameboy when it came out and not a replacement or successor... they called it their third pillar. They were probably just hedging their bets in case it flopped, so they could go back to making gameboys, but as a result, I never heard anyone call it a gameboy.

https://hpcritical.com/all-post/2020/10/20/nintendos-third-pillar-strategy-a-history

• Like 2