IGNORED

Does anyone own, or have any clue of what happened to the original black box art?

RH

I'm sure they were trashed but just in case, I'm curious if anyone on here knows what happened to all of the art for the NES black box titles?  Though they were pixelated, they were hand painted.

I wonder what happened to those and what they originally looked like as matte paintings.

Weren't those just photos of post-its essentially (or rather bits of construction paper?). Were they even permanent art pieces? I'd be shocked if they existed. If one did and was remotely obtainable I'd have seen it as one of the art peoples' forum avatars sometime in the past 20 years!

11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Weren't those just photos of post-its essentially (or rather bits of construction paper?). Were they even permanent art pieces? I'd be shocked if they existed. If one did and was remotely obtainable I'd have seen it as one of the art peoples' forum avatars sometime in the past 20 years!

I don't think they are post-its.  The streaks would have definitely been airbrushed and the pixels aren't perfectly the same size.  99% sure they are painted squares, probably on a board.

11 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I think Bronty said that any art Nintendo made was pretty closely guarded in their archives and very few, if any, made it into the wild.

That completely makes sense, but considering NOA was rather fledgling at the time (compared to what it even was a few years after the NES went crazy) I figured there was a chance that some of that art might have been tossed.  This was even in the days when Mario's art style was far from nailed down and tons of stuff in those early NES days made Mario and the cast look quite wonky.  I'm sure they kept stuff under lock and key pretty quickly when business took off, but I could see there being a chance that when they were building the box art in early 1985, it got lost in the shuffle.

Possibly. It also depends on where the art was made. Black Box stuff was maybe done at NOA*, but if any game shared artwork with the Famicom versions, it's probably over in Japan.

*assuming they had an inhouse art department, but like you said, NOA was pretty small in 1985, little more than a warehouse.

Edited by Tulpa

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Well, a startup company has no reason to keep anything like that. If much of the actual art was thrown away, they're pretty likely to throw away an arts and crafts project.

They weren't a start up. NOA already existed but it was mostly just a holding company to sell arcade games. Still, it's my understanding they had a warehouse and office.

Just now, RH said:

They weren't a start up. NOA already existed but it was mostly just a holding company to sell arcade games. Still, it's my understanding they had a warehouse and office.

They were well established as a toy and card company way before arcades but their gaming division was still in the startup phase.

14 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

They were well established as a toy and card company way before arcades but their gaming division was still in the startup phase.

I was talking about NOA. I know Nintendo is as old as dirt. I don't know when they opened an office in the US, but I do know it pre-dated the NES and even the Famicom.

My point is, they didn't have a lot in the way of operations here in the states, but they weren't a "start up".

4 hours ago, RH said:

I was talking about NOA. I know Nintendo is as old as dirt. I don't know when they opened an office in the US, but I do know it pre-dated the NES and even the Famicom.

My point is, they didn't have a lot in the way of operations here in the states, but they weren't a "start up".

Companies are generally startups for about their first 10 years. Did Nintendo have a games division for 10 years in 1985?