IGNORED

Does anyone own, or have any clue of what happened to the original black box art?

RH

Slightly unrelated, but much of the Nintendo Power envelope art from the magazines was saved by NOA.  They turned them into murals and hung them in the hallways of one of their buildings.  If any original game artwork was saved, it might be hanging somewhere in their older buildings (the "new" HQ building only has recent stuff as far as I could tell).

Edited by Tenjikuronin
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, DefaultGen said:

Weren't those just photos of post-its essentially (or rather bits of construction paper?). Were they even permanent art pieces? I'd be shocked if they existed. If one did and was remotely obtainable I'd have seen it as one of the art peoples' forum avatars sometime in the past 20 years!

I think you’re right about it being construction paper, I feel like Dan had mentioned that years ago and it’s always stick with me 

1 hour ago, Foochie776 said:

I think you’re right about it being construction paper, I feel like Dan had mentioned that years ago and it’s always stick with me 

Dan mentioned it to me as well. He also posted some sort of link to partially validate it but I can't remember what it contained.

Surely they saved something in some way because they were reprinting black boxes all the way into ‘92…possibly even later.

By that time Mario was an 11 year old IP with a clear path to market dominance.

Not only that, but they were adding things like seal of quality changes, rev-a’s, tm’s, and other minor graphic design elements.

Though I guess they could have transfer the original artwork to some sort of sheet which is then converted to a lithographic plate.

Edited by ThePhleo

Graphics Team · Posted

The people who made the black-box artwork probably would've been proud of it. Craft pieces like that are seriously hard work, so the artists could've personally saved them if Nintendo was just going to scrap everything anyway.

But that's not to say it couldn't have been lost since then.

-CasualCart