IGNORED

Nintendo Direct Games announced June 15

phart010

On 6/19/2021 at 2:43 AM, DoctorEncore said:

Did anyone else find the Nintendo show a bit underwhelming?

Mario Party 45, Warioware 13, Metroid 23, Advance Wars 5, and LoZ 18

Familiar franchises is everything people want from E3. The more long awaited sequels you can churn out from popular franchise, the more you've "won" E3 😆

3 hours ago, erac said:

As an Advance Wars fan, I was massively disappointed by the announcement. Just a remake, with horrible graphics too, and naturally full price. After all this time we deserve a proper new game, that looks good.

Honestly, I think the remake looks really pretty. And I don't actually have either of the GBA games (which are probably also the most popular ones in the series), so I'd consider getting this.
I didn't really like the way the series went with Dark Conflict, so I'm good with them going back a few iterations.

Looks like the backswing has been more or less removed from Mario Golf. From what I understand your accuracy, although still a function of distance,  is completely random now. Getting so tried of Nintendo watering down these games. Extremely disappointing and now a hard pass for me when it was gonna be a day one buy. 

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Looks like the backswing has been more or less removed from Mario Golf. From what I understand your accuracy, although still a function of distance,  is completely random now. Getting so tried of Nintendo watering down these games. Extremely disappointing and now a hard pass for me when it was gonna be a day one buy. 

Holy crap are you serious, is this confirmed?!  They basically gutted the fun skill loaded mechanic of the Hot Shots/Camelot series which this was part of as a parody licensed offshoot since the GBC release. F THAT.  I already wasn't going to get this for anything near full price if ever, definitely, not at all, ever.  It really is Mario Party Golf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Holy crap are you serious, is this confirmed?!  They basically gutted the fun skill loaded mechanic of the Hot Shots/Camelot series which this was part of as a parody licensed offshoot since the GBC release. F THAT.  I already wasn't going to get this for anything near full price if ever, definitely, not at all, ever.  It really is Mario Party Golf.

From two reviews that appears to be the case unless I am misunderstanding. You can still put spin on the ball/change your trajectory during back swing, but there will also be consistently more RNG with every shot as the accuracy is random (don't have to time the back swing portion). 

And, yes, battle golf and speed golf both look like Mario Party mini games. I completely understand the need for a new mode like speed golf, but not when it comes at the expense of the main game. The courses (only 6 like GC) are also very bland looking with exception to Bowser's Castle and the HUD looks like a mobile game. I could have got past that, but messing with the mechanics is really disappointing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

From two reviews that appears to be the case unless I am misunderstanding. You can still put spin on the ball/change your trajectory during back swing, but there will also be consistently more RNG with every shot as the accuracy is random (don't have to time the back swing portion). 

And, yes, battle golf and speed golf both look like Mario Party mini games. I completely understand the need for a new mode like speed golf, but not when it comes at the expense of the main game. The courses (only 6 like GC) are also very bland looking with exception to Bowser's Castle and the HUD looks like a mobile game. I could have got past that, but messing with the mechanics is really disappointing. 

That pair of things is my beef with it currently.  RNG that's just anti-golf in every respect since you have lost the control of your swing now.  Then sucking basic primary established common golf control that goes back like 30 years and replacing it with dopey Mario Party style golf games -- it's too much to bother with.   I could just ignore that party stuff, but when they tilt the game towards as you said it, the look of a mobile game, then with the RNG lacking control style of a mobile touch game, I'm just not interested at all.  I'd treat it like a mobile game, $10 purchase at best. 😄

That disaster is out today isn't it?  The thing is, it's Mario, you could take a dump, put it in overalls and a M hat and it would sell a million.  They won't be punished for it, other than in reviews, that most people will never read anyway or know exist.  As long as it keeps the people wanting an easy mobile-ish flick kind of style play mechanic type people (kids to adults) happy it'll do well unfortunately to enable them to go further down that rabbit hole.  That would mean a future release for a presumed Switch Pro, or true sequel, will get even more into party mechancis dumping much of anything golf related other than tapping the button maybe once, twice tops, to swing a club and it lands on something resembling grass with a small hole to tap the ball into.  Bad, very bad move.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That disaster is out today isn't it?  The thing is, it's Mario, you could take a dump, put it in overalls and a M hat and it would sell a million.  They won't be punished for it, other than in reviews, that most people will never read anyway or know exist.  As long as it keeps the people wanting an easy mobile-ish flick kind of style play mechanic type people (kids to adults) happy it'll do well unfortunately to enable them to go further down that rabbit hole.  That would mean a future release for a presumed Switch Pro, or true sequel, will get even more into party mechancis dumping much of anything golf related other than tapping the button maybe once, twice tops, to swing a club and it lands on something resembling grass with a small hole to tap the ball into.  Bad, very bad move.

It appears pretty obvious to me that Nintendo continues to cater to an even younger and casual crowd these days. I feel like an old man complaining about this, and I've stated many times that I realize I'm not their main demographic, but it sucks as an avid gamer to see them remove core features of games and ease difficulty for the sake of accessibility with no options to change. In Toadstool Tour you simply hit A instead of B if you wanted an auto shot and I don't see why they couldn't have just left that mechanic. 

I don't see this trend going anywhere either as Nintendo could care less about losing a few people like me if there are 50 kids to take my place  because the game is easy to play.

I never thought I'd own a Nintendo console for 2 years and only have one Nintendo exclusive on it that I will probably never play again (Odyssey). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

It appears pretty obvious to me that Nintendo continues to cater to an even younger and casual crowd these days. I feel like an old man complaining about this, and I've stated many times that I realize I'm not their main demographic, but it sucks as an avid gamer to see them remove core features of games and ease difficulty for the sake of accessibility with no options to change. In Toadstool Tour you simply hit A instead of B if you wanted an auto shot and I don't see why they couldn't have just left that mechanic. 

I don't see this trend going anywhere either as Nintendo could care less about losing a few people like me if there are 50 kids to take my place  because the game is easy to play.

I never thought I'd own a Nintendo console for 2 years and only have one Nintendo exclusive on it that I will probably never play again (Odyssey). 

That may be the case, if not the younger, definitely some franchises tilting towards the casual for at least 10-15 years now, but more falling into that grouping.  And no it isn't some old man syndrome, it's just very obvious, yet it's natural to get defensive if you're used to something that gets warped over time.

I think the issue honestly, it's a mix of two big elephants in the room.  For the older ones that went down a bad road (Smash, Kart on Wii/DS) it was the shift to highlighting first the online multiplayer aspect.  But those morphed worse since, along the lines of Mario Golf here and some int other PARTY style of random whatever as long as it 'feels fun' style of play.  This caters to Nintendo having to combat with the MOBILE world which really chips away at dedicated handheld margins.  The idea to have a fast pick up and play set of mini games or primary game(s) for a full charge that just works, where you can get near instant gratification from a few taps and swipes means a lot to at least a decade or two worth of players who started out on these phone/tablet type things bred from like old web based flash/etc style poke play things.

That's your problem.  Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario etc (Smash Bros) have been watered down into party games.  Even Mario Party('s) latest thing people who like the franchise are moaning about too for being a poke play cash-in too.  All of them are appealing to the multiplayer and poke play minimal thought required fast get in and go style of modern mobile gaming has largely become.

Even Mario Odyssey is victim of this, breaking this off, since you brought it up.  Take that game, compare it to either Galaxy just before it, the meh- Sunshine, and the daddy of them Mario 64.  It does NOT stand up, stands out sure as it's beautiful to the ears and eyes.  The game itself though, it's watered down, so far you can BUY the moons you need to trudge through the game faster to completion.  They hand out moons like stickers or penny gumballs like it's nothing.  Hey you walked here, MOON, you climbed a 60sec run up a basic mountain....MOON.  That game is like the Oprah under your seat prize of Mario games... YOU GET A MOON, YOU GET A MOON, EVERYONE GETS  A MOON.   It's so ridiculous it sucked the pride of accomplishment out of much of the game and made it fairly honestly, boring.  It's the only one I've never finished, and feel no reason to care to bother again which is just sad.  I don't hate it, I'm just not going to probably ever finish it.

Zelda was the one IP spit in the face of the change, that one went all open world in wise ways, it's not fast.  I mean, it can be if you really cheat things and get really really good with the gameplay, but for most that's a 50-100+ hours game minimum and you earn it.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Oh, there's definitely some grumpy old man syndrome at work, don't kid yourself.  It's like the annual complaining about the newest Pokemon from people in their mid-20s and 30s, who cannot seem to grasp the fact that the prime demographic is 10 years old.  If you say otherwise you are fooling yourself.

That being said, it's disappointing that Mario Golf isn't a slam dunk, because I feel like that was the one sports line that had been a sure thing. 

But I'll reserve judgment until I play it myself because the internet is always one loud hyperbolic echo chamber of angst or worship.  I'm sure Super Rush is okay, at worst. 😆

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
55 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Tony Hawk brining it back. This game is pretty fun and plays a lot like the original. I like the addition of moves from later releases. Glad I picked this one up. 

I'll be getting that one soon as well.  I played so much THPS2 that I found every gap.

• Like 1

Funny thing I barely touched Tony Hawk 2 in 3D, most my time that really really hooked me on it was the insane hours i put on the GBA release.  So for me, that actually would be a pair of new games. 😄

As far as Mario Golf goes, all the commentary online so far has a mix of praise and annoyance, and that is split.  The split settles on if you enjoy the single player game, or you think of it more of a multiplayer game.  If you're into multiplayer as your means to enjoying a sports, party, etc game, then it's fine.  But the 1P mode is very thin, can get boring and repetitive fairly quick.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Funny thing I barely touched Tony Hawk 2 in 3D, most my time that really really hooked me on it was the insane hours i put on the GBA release.  So for me, that actually would be a pair of new games. 😄

As far as Mario Golf goes, all the commentary online so far has a mix of praise and annoyance, and that is split.  The split settles on if you enjoy the single player game, or you think of it more of a multiplayer game.  If you're into multiplayer as your means to enjoying a sports, party, etc game, then it's fine.  But the 1P mode is very thin, can get boring and repetitive fairly quick.

Goldfish gaming.. 

• Like 1