IGNORED

Nintendo Direct Games announced June 15

phart010

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I was surprised to see that Metroid Dread will finally become a reality. Always thought it was just a rumored cancelled project. As a 2D Metroid buff, this is very welcome and exciting news!

Honestly, I was more excited about that announcement than the new BoTW 2 footage, since we still didn't see a ton, and we still don't even have a title. A brand new 2D Metroid game after... how many years, now? Sign me up!

Editorials Team · Posted

Also:

Fatal Frame Wii U

Danganronpa Trilogy

Advance Wars 1 + 2

New Mario Party

All(?) of the Life is Strange games

I already know I'm getting Breath of the Wild 2 and Megaten V, so I actually prefer seeing less footage at this point.  I avoid spoilers in all forms, no matter how minor.  Obviously Zelda has a vertical theme.  I wish even that wasn't spoiled for me.

Metroid is a no brainer purchase.  So is Advance Wars.

I've never played the Danganronpas so I'll be getting those.

Maybe on Fatal Frame.

Mario + Rabbits I'll probably get.

Mario Party and Warioware are maybes, to play with the kids.

• Like 2

I’m ready for a new Metroid.  Warioware looks fun.  Glad to see they are bringing back the N64 Mario party maps.

Im starting to get the vibe that the new Zelda game is going to be more of an expansion pack to BotW.  I’m lowering my expectations a ton.

1 minute ago, fox said:

Im starting to get the vibe that the new Zelda game is going to be more of an expansion pack to BotW.  I’m lowering my expectations a ton.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm sort of getting that feeling too.  I'm still interested, but honestly, the new Metroid game has me more excited, and that's a big surprise for me.  

11 minutes ago, fox said:

I’m ready for a new Metroid.  Warioware looks fun.  Glad to see they are bringing back the N64 Mario party maps.

The feeling that I am getting from BOTW 2 is that it will be on the same BOTW map, but they will add traditional Zelda style dungeons in the sky and possibly underground. Also there is some significance to Links arm having powers 

• Like 1

I was finding the e3 stuff boring but Nintendo had some great announcements. 

Glad to hear that Fatal Frame is coming to the Switch. This was the last great game I wanted from the Wii U.

The Mario Party stuff should be fun, hopefully just an add on and not a brand new game.

Wasn’t expecting a 2D Metroid, looks awesome.

Disappointed no Switch 2/Pro news.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Disappointed no Switch 2/Pro news.

I'm starting to wonder if there will be a "Switch 2" because at this point they need to start working on, and subsequently hyping, their next console. I love the Switch and I still think it has a lot of life left, but if they are not releasing new hardware st Christmas, at this point skip it and start hyping the next thing for 2023 in the coming spring/summer.

Maybe they had plans but with all of the chip shortages this past year, they don't think they can meet economies of scale?

Really surprised at no news on Switch Pro. 

Metroid looks great. My only hesitation is a didn't enjoy Samus Returns 3ds as much as I thought I would and this has a very similar vibe. Looks like it might be based more around avoiding those specific machines rather than all out exploring. Having said all that, it looks great and was very welcoming and unexpected news. I'm guessing Prime 4 is still well behind in development with all the bumps they've had. 

Botw 2 footage looked amazing to me. I'm not sure what people were expecting but I think it was always going to be the case it was going to be a spin off game given the time between this and the original and the shear ambition of botw. I loved botw so even if this plays as a giant dlc story with new dungeons etc. I'd be happy. 

Nothing else really got me that excited. Looking forward to Mario Golf now 🙂

I'm of the opinion that a Switch Pro or Switch 2 is a bad idea, so I'm actually happy to hear that there still isn't any news of such a thing.  If they want to release some kind of "slim" console beyond what they've already done with the Switch Lite, fine, but I would rather they not try to upgrade the actual hardware until they are ready to release the next full console.  

31 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm starting to wonder if there will be a "Switch 2" because at this point they need to start working on, and subsequently hyping, their next console. I love the Switch and I still think it has a lot of life left, but if they are not releasing new hardware st Christmas, at this point skip it and start hyping the next thing for 2023 in the coming spring/summer.

Maybe they had plans but with all of the chip shortages this past year, they don't think they can meet economies of scale?

Yeah good point on the chip shortage. 

Still life in the Switch yet but they’re going to have to have something by the end of next year otherwise ps5/Xbox will get too far ahead. 

16 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm of the opinion that a Switch Pro or Switch 2 is a bad idea, so I'm actually happy to hear that there still isn't any news of such a thing.  If they want to release some kind of "slim" console beyond what they've already done with the Switch Lite, fine, but I would rather they not try to upgrade the actual hardware until they are ready to release the next full console.  

I feel that Nintendo will probably not try to compete in the space that PS5 and Xbox are fighting for. They have always done handhelds well, and currently nobody is competing in this space, so it’s all theirs for the taking. If there is a new console from Nintendo, I can only see it being another hybrid like Switch, or something way out of left field like Virtual Boy 2

2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I feel that Nintendo will probably not try to compete in the space that PS5 and Xbox are fighting for. They have always done handhelds well, and currently nobody is competing in this space, so it’s all theirs for the taking. If there is a new console from Nintendo, I can only see it being another hybrid like Switch, or something way out of left field like Virtual Boy 2

That's exactly what I expect as well (the first part, not the second part).  What I don't want to see is Nintendo wasting resources on a "Switch Pro."  

28 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Metroid looks great. My only hesitation is a didn't enjoy Samus Returns 3ds as much as I thought I would and this has a very similar vibe. Looks like it might be based more around avoiding those specific machines rather than all out exploring. Having said all that, it looks great and was very welcoming and unexpected news. I'm guessing Prime 4 is still well behind in development with all the bumps they've had. 

I agree, as a huge 2D Metroid fan, I thought Samus Returns was underwhelmingly meh.

But I think a big part of the problem was playing it on the small 3DS screen, the cramped feeling of holding the 3DS, and the new controls were difficult to handle using the 3DS as a controller. A second full sized analog stick is definitely needed if they want to have 360 aiming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's exactly what I expect as well (the first part, not the second part).  What I don't want to see is Nintendo wasting resources on a "Switch Pro."  

Nintendo is always full of surprises. Wii, Wii U and Switch were all something that people were totally not expecting at the time they were announced.

We’re just fortunate that Switch was a pleasant surprise. Never know what weird thing they will pitch us next ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Nintendo is always full of surprises. Wii, Wii U and Switch were all something that people were totally not expecting at the time they were announced.

We’re just fortunate that Switch was a pleasant surprise. Never know what weird thing they will pitch us next ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wii and Wii U may have been surprises, but most everyone was expecting the Switch.  I called a portable/home console hybrid at least a year before the announcement of the Switch and I certainly wasn't the only person who was expecting that.  If anything was a surprise, it was the fact that the hybrid console was done so well.  

A 2021 fall line-up of mostly remakes and rehashes doesn’t fell like a reason to upgrade your console to “pro”

A switch pro alongside new Zelda, Bayo 3, Prime 4, Splatoon 3, and a new DK sound like much better reasons to upgrade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox said:

A 2021 fall line-up of mostly remakes and rehashes doesn’t fell like a reason to upgrade your console to “pro”

A switch pro alongside new Zelda, Bayo 3, Prime 4, Splatoon 3, and a new DK sound like much better reasons to upgrade

Also plenty of already released games would benefit from a framerate boost. Off the top of my head, Hyrule Warriors and Links Awakening