IGNORED

Nintendo Direct Games announced June 15

phart010

4 hours ago, fox said:

A 2021 fall line-up of mostly remakes and rehashes doesn’t fell like a reason to upgrade your console to “pro”

A switch pro alongside new Zelda, Bayo 3, Prime 4, Splatoon 3, and a new DK sound like much better reasons to upgrade

Fully agree. I would not be surprised if the 'Switch Pro' is more or less ready to go and they're just waiting to tie it to a big release, which I would think is Botw 2 at this point. 

• Like 1

Mario Golf: Super Rush, the Breath of the Wild sequel, the Zelda Game & Watch, and Cruis'n Blast were my favorite games shown in the Direct. I'm probably going to buy Mario Party Superstars, but maybe that should've been DLC for Super Mario Party instead of a standalone game. I mean, it is basically a collection of Mini-Games and Boards from the first three Mario Party games right? Also nice to see a Switch Metroid game coming soon, even if it's not Metroid Prime 4.

Edited by MegaMan52

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

I was underwhelmed by the Metroid Dread trailer.

Here it is, and looks like it absolutely could be a 3DS game in my opinion. Environments look bland, music, is boring... meh.

Right now, I don't want it, but not writing it off either.  It reminds me too much of the 3DS Metroid, the fidgety gimmicky stupid flow breaking fluff moves they force being used looked like that was at play here.  And then the other being the one hit kill survival horror run your ass off moments -- I hate both those things.  If that tease is an accurate tease, they couldn't pay me to play it.

Mario Golf looks disappointing too, more fluff, stupid mini games, hyper competitive crap deviating even further away from the roots of the franchise so I'm sticking to re-starting Golf Story I just re-acquired since that does it right even if it's not 3D(who cares.)

I do like the look of Cruisin coming back from arcade and exclusive.  Tony Hawk was a nice surprise after thinking Switch owners got screwed too.  Monster Hunter Stories 2 looks really solid.  Yeah that Game & Watch looks to be a no question buy too.  Throw in those serious third party franchise games like SMT and that other one danganrompa I've heard people like a lot (not my idea of fun genre) among others and they do have a solid line up for the year without question.

Wario Ware seems stranger than the usual weird, either going to suck playing alone or work alone, may be just ideal multi player so that coul dbe a plus or minus by the buyer and Mario Party looks fairly weak, but if you're like hardcore on it, it'll fill the space.  That Life is Strange looked strange, heard of it before, kind of curious more about that one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Right now, I don't want it, but not writing it off either.  It reminds me too much of the 3DS Metroid, the fidgety gimmicky stupid flow breaking fluff moves they force being used looked like that was at play here.  And then the other being the one hit kill survival horror run your ass off moments -- I hate both those things.  If that tease is an accurate tease, they couldn't pay me to play it.

Mario Golf looks disappointing too, more fluff, stupid mini games, hyper competitive crap deviating even further away from the roots of the franchise so I'm sticking to re-starting Golf Story I just re-acquired since that does it right even if it's not 3D(who cares.)

I agree with both of these points. Metroid breakdown definitely has me hesitant that it'll be a beat and never play again type of game. 

Mario golf somehow doesn't look as nice as Toadstool to me even though it's a 20 year old game. I like the idea of speed golf but again it definitely looks gimmicky. This is their way of spicing up golf though. I would have preferred a clone to Toadstool that simply looked better and had more courses. Still happy for a new golf game though. 

agree on Mario Golf. My anticipation for it has gone way down. I'd honestly rather a play a more sim like golf game at this point.

Metroid Dread looks really interesting to me, though. I'm hoping Tanooki's wrong about the parry moves from Samus Returns, however. I'm hoping.

My other big winner from the Direct was the Advance Wars 1 + 2 remake. That's super exciting to me. Like... maybe it'll even launch a new sequel? I mean, Fire Emblem finally caught on, so stranger things could happen.

Also, I'm keeping my eye on the Guardians Of The Galaxy game. And THPS 1 & 2 is an insta-buy for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

agree on Mario Golf. My anticipation for it has gone way down. I'd honestly rather a play a more sim like golf game at this point.

Hoping the core game still plays like a sim or at least as much as TT. The previews definitely have me concerned that the mechanics are gonna be watered down across the board like a Tiger Woods game or something. 

3 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Hoping the core game still plays like a sim or at least as much as TT. The previews definitely have me concerned that the mechanics are gonna be watered down across the board like a Tiger Woods game or something. 

I hear you. And the "speed golf" thing looks dumb to me. As a side note, I've been eyeballing PGA 2K21 on Switch. I'm almost leaning toward picking that up and putting this one off unless there's some stellar reviews post release.

2 hours ago, noiseredux said:

I hear you. And the "speed golf" thing looks dumb to me. As a side note, I've been eyeballing PGA 2K21 on Switch. I'm almost leaning toward picking that up and putting this one off unless there's some stellar reviews post release.

Speed golf would be fun for a laugh but I see it growing old fast. I'd much rather have a larger selection of courses. 

SMT5 was by far the most interesting part of that direct to me. After so many years of complete radio silence it was great to not only see more content, but a whole lot of actual gameplay, too. The game looks close to completion, and it looks really good, and relatively high budget for an Atlus game. It's great to see the "core" MegaTen series back in style, ready to compete with its younger sibling.

It was great to see more BOTW2 footage, too, but for a game that was supposed to be a quick asset flip, I'm kind of disappointed it's been spending that long in development. I'd rather see that time spent on a completely new unique mainline entry. I liked BOTW1 though, so I'll probably eat up this one.

No mention of that new Dragon Ball game? I'm not a fan of the series at all, but this actually looks incredibly cool, and I'd be interested in getting into the story through it, even though I'm probably quite a bit above the target age range. I read a few of the earliest mangas decades ago (the ones where the main character is still a kid), and they are actually well written, and focus more on silly comedy bits than the over-the-top world ending action scenes the series is more famous for. This game seems like it captures a bit of the same mood. Ie. "fun" rather than "cool".

The Danganronpa collection is good news for me. I've been wanting to play all of these games, and waiting for a new physical release, ideally one with all of them on a handheld platform, so this is exactly what I needed.

Either way, the English version of the Direct forgot the most important announcement:

Already got Esp2 and DFK on X360, but I'm especially excited for Mushihimesama which, unlike its sequel, never got a region free release before now.

Edited by Sumez

I'm definitely picking up Advance Wars remake, I love the first game and never played the second, and honestly the art looks fantastic. I'm on board for Metroid Dread as well, and BOTW2 whenever that appears. However, my number 1 anticipated Switch game remains Metroid Prime 4, so I guess I will continue to wait for more on that one! 🙂

20 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I agree with both of these points. Metroid breakdown definitely has me hesitant that it'll be a beat and never play again type of game. 

Mario golf somehow doesn't look as nice as Toadstool to me even though it's a 20 year old game. I like the idea of speed golf but again it definitely looks gimmicky. This is their way of spicing up golf though. I would have preferred a clone to Toadstool that simply looked better and had more courses. Still happy for a new golf game though. 

My insta-buy would have been sure you could leave in the speed golf for 1P or up to whatever as a side game, a mini game kinda thign to enjoy from the menu it's cool.  But if you as you put it, had the Toadstool Tour(GC) look just more detailed since it's not 2005ish anymore, coupled with the mechanics and FULL RPG/STORY mode of GBC original rolled up as the primary game.  I would have paid $60 for that like Fry and his take my money image, right now I wouldn't even want to drop $30 on that thing, odds are almost 100% I'll never own it at all.  What they're showing is not Mario Golf to me anymore, very unappealing, seems like they fucked up another franchise into a goddamn PARTY game.  Mario Party, Mario Kart Party, Mario Golf Party... whatever.  They'll still make millions, just not off me.

I'm with @noiseredux on Advance Wars, that shocked me.  They snubbed the franchise to death for years now, and wham, a re-introduction of the first two in beautiful form no less.  Hopefully it is a come back, not everyone adores Fire Emblem but may like the style, and this is that.  Maybe they'll further extra head from crack, bring us Custom Robo again too. 🙂  Maybe finally a non-trash Chibi Robo mimicking the original, hell at this rate a HD remaster of that would be better than what is there.

Editorials Team · Posted
7 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'm definitely picking up Advance Wars remake, I love the first game and never played the second, and honestly the art looks fantastic. I'm on board for Metroid Dread as well, and BOTW2 whenever that appears. However, my number 1 anticipated Switch game remains Metroid Prime 4, so I guess I will continue to wait for more on that one! 🙂

The second AW is the only game in the (Western) series that got the best of me and I never beat.  I look forward to payback. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Sumez said:

SMT5 was by far the most interesting part of that direct to me. After so many years of complete radio silence it was great to not only see more content, but a whole lot of actual gameplay, too. The game looks close to completion, and it looks really good, and relatively high budget for an Atlus game. It's great to see the "core" MegaTen series back in style, ready to compete with its younger sibling.

Did you watch the Japanese trailer?  It sells the game even harder imo.

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Is Metroid Dread Special Edition going to be one of these BOTW Master Edition deals where it actually sells out immediately and they don't make more. I will be sad if that's the case.

This is Nintendo. Have they ever made a special/collector's edition to meet demand?

Nintendo's official response to fans regarding scarcity of their products:

b3btf9zrpdd51.jpg

Did anyone else find the Nintendo show a bit underwhelming?

Mario Party 45, Warioware 13, Metroid 23, Advance Wars 5, and LoZ 18. I know Nintendo's constant recycling of franchises is a constant area of criticism, but this felt especially bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to play the shit out of Metroid and LoZ (and maybe Advance Wars since I've never played it), but I wish they'd take a few more risks. At least a few third party titles found their way into the presentation.

Also, I'm praying for a Switch Pro soon. That last last lingering shot of BotW 2 looked so terribly empty and sad (not in an impressive or moody way).

Edited by DoctorEncore

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did anyone else find the Nintendo show a bit underwhelming?

Mario Party 45, Warioware 13, Metroid 23, Advance Wars 5, and LoZ 18. I know Nintendo's constant recycling of franchises is a constant area of criticism, but this felt especially bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to play the shit out of Metroid and LoZ (and maybe Advance Wars since I've never played it), but I wish they'd take a few more risks. At least a few third party titles found their way into the presentation.

Also, I'm praying for a Switch Pro soon. That last last lingering shot of BotW 2 looked so terribly empty and sad (not in an impressive or moody way).

They’re getting too big.

As it stands Nintendo’s biggest asset is their IP’s. They don’t make all of their money by being a hardware or software developer. They make money because they are the owners of Mario and friends, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, etc.

No doubt they are already aware of this as they have already begun rebranding Nintendo from a video game enterprise into an entertainment company. Outside of games, they sell a ton licensed products. These products are all made by other companies that pay royalties to Nintendo for the use of Nintendo IP assets.

When it comes to games, you can already see that while Nintendo is still developing software in house for their masterpieces, they have steadily been relying more and more on other developers to create software using their IP assets. A lot of their work on the software end of things is simply managing the usage of their assets and marketing.

I said this a few years ago and the idea was shot down, but I see it coming closer to being reality: I think the logical next step for Nintendo is to capitalize on the indie developer market by licensing out the use of their IP’s to indies.

We’ve already seen it happen with Cadence of Hyrule. I expect that over the next 10 years, there will definitely be a new market of Indie developed games using Nintendo IP assets. The model will likely have a set strict set of guidelines and quality standards that developers have to follow in order to get the approval, and of course royalties paid to Nintendo for the license to use their IP.