IGNORED

The Show Off Your Sets Thread (any set you like, personal, full, system, series, whatever!)

goldenpp72

Took 2 more pictures today for what I think are the full US console/portable sets for these series. The one below being Bloody Roar, which is admittedly a very easy series to collect. I only was missing the Gamecube game to finish the set, otherwise they all came naturally over time.

FoMOE8qXoAEHA-a?format=jpg&name=large

The next one is Cool Spot, this series was surprisingly difficult to finish mostly because of Cool Spot for the Game Boy. While the action platformer release was put on all available systems of the time (those that mattered in the US anyways), the GB title clearly did not find any fans here at all. It's among the harder to find GB releases I have (and I have over 300). Spot the Cool Adventure is a bit tough to grab as well but not too bad, and is also a reskin of McKids for the NES if I recall. Cool Spot on Game Gear can also be a bit tricky during some timeframes, but not near the same difficulty to find as the Game Boy one. I feel many people think they own Cool Spot for Game Boy and actually have Spot the Cool Adventure because I was offered that one many many times while hunting this one, heh. 

FoMOEr-XoAAhf4E?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 5

11 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Google photos can be really annoying with image sharing, I'm not even sure what the problem is since they are all in the same album, but here is a link to the album, maybe that works better? 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOPsn6P5XUuzKCk7xHb_k8DseKKux5AfhmNe8IVITSMrUvQZ3ej8-TMCTvtzlFDSQ?key=SUIzNmNiWDNSSlhZa2pMWlp4N1lYWVFIMHZ0UUdR

Works, nice set!

6 hours ago, nrslam said:

There's a Spot Goes to Hollywood aftermarket release for the 32X.  Doesn't count for set completeness, I assume?

Anyhoo, nice set. I've enjoyed the Spot games I've played.

While I'd not say it counts, I'd be curious to know about it, do they sell a reproduction that is boxed and such? Don't think I ever came across it myself, but typically I just do US retail releases, so obviously something canceled wouldn't qualify as such. Still I have a soft spot for 32X info and Cool Spot so I'd not mind at least learning about it more 😛

Edited by goldenpp72

1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

While I'd not say it counts, I'd be curious to know about it, do they sell a reproduction that is boxed and such? Don't think I ever came across it myself, but typically I just do US retail releases, so obviously something canceled wouldn't qualify as such. Still I have a soft spot for 32X info and Cool Spot so I'd not mind at least learning about it more 😛

There were 35 (?) copies for sale at the 2014 Cowlitz Gamers for Kids show. I have one, with box & manual and will post photoes if I can find it. Looks different than the Euro version someone's selling on fleabay. You might try searching for the phrase "Cowlitz Gamers for Kids 2014" over on AtariAge and then contacting the author to see if he knows how to get one.

Meanwhile, off to search for mine.....

@goldenpp72 I don't think your Cool Spot spread is 100% there.  Are you only looking for dedicated home console and handheld releases?  The only version I've ever really played enough to enjoy of Cool Spot oddly enough was the MS-DOS release back in the early-mid 1990s, and that was ported to Amiga as well.  Both were as far as I can remember, EU releases, not USA.

Just now, Tanooki said:

@goldenpp72 I don't think your Cool Spot spread is 100% there.  Are you only looking for dedicated home console and handheld releases?  The only version I've ever really played enough to enjoy of Cool Spot oddly enough was the MS-DOS release back in the early-mid 1990s, and that was ported to Amiga as well.  Both were as far as I can remember, EU releases, not USA.

I only collect US releases, so that would be the qualifier. I also don't collect PC titles as a general rule, so they are specifically US/portable/console sets. The only series I picked up the PC versions for were the Mega Man releases and.. Bomberman, I also picked up the C64 version of Castlevania since they are among my favorite series, but otherwise I avoid PC as collecting for it is both annoying and unsatisfying for various reasons.

Like I have the full set for Zool in the US I think (if my GB game comes in) but I'll be missing I think the Amiga version there, but I just don't dabble in that side of things. You could call it an old mannerism picked up on Nintendoage though, as set collecting usually exempted things like PC releases, educational releases, or even duplicate releases on other platforms. They don't exist anymore, but the legacy lives on sorta here 😛

• Like 1

So I finished up 2 more today, though the TG set isn't complete as I didn't go for a full set, just the set I wanted. On the shelf is a reproduction Magical Chase but I have the real graded one in a different spot. The Atari XE set is a full set however, that would be the whole US lineup along with the Demo cart, very annoying set for how small it is. 

20230206_163923.jpg

20230206_162342.jpg

• Like 4

I got in the last CIB thing I plan to get today for the Game Boy line, I'm still missing a cart for Zool but otherwise this is all I plan to get for these 3 systems. I totaled I think 1058 games across them, which is a happy place to stop. Some of the games are my lady friends as she has... Different taste than me, but still 🫠

20230213_182236.jpg

20230213_181519.jpg

20230213_181547.jpg

20230213_181600.jpg

20230213_181654.jpg

20230213_181713.jpg

20230213_181736.jpg

20230213_181744.jpg

20230213_181805.jpg

20230213_181816.jpg

20230213_181831.jpg

20230213_181846.jpg

20230213_181920.jpg

20230213_181940.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 3

image.thumb.jpeg.e2f2ca2d9245b6fba2b57dc10196e71d.jpeg

I think I've got most of the American Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Pac-Man, Spyro the Dragon, Ninja Turtles, Mega Man, and Resident Evil GameCube games and items I want (more pics on pages 2 and 4). In the future, I'd like to buy the Biohazard Collector's Box, a Japanese copy of Pac-Man Vs., Japanese copies of Mega Man Network Transmission and Mega Man X: Command Mission, and Japanese copies of Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario.

image.jpeg.77dbe5152c4f23fbcbade04a12574c86.jpeg

I've got American copies of the Splinter Cell games (including a collector's edition copy of Chaos Theory), a demo of the first Splinter Cell game on the 2003 GameCube Preview Disc, and a demo of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow on the Version 17 Interactive Multi-Game Demo disc. Last year I bought a PAL Player's Choice copy of Splinter Cell (one of the PAL exclusive Player's Choice games), and hope to eventually find an English PAL Player's Choice copy of Pandora Tomorrow (I've seen it before, but most of the Player's Choice copies I've seen are French) as well as purchase PAL copies of Chaos Theory and Double Agent. There's also a PAL demo of the first Splinter Cell that came with an issue of Cube Magazine.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

As I near the end of my retro collecting, I had been combing through to try and fill in any deviations or weird holes I left in my time in the hobby. One of them was that I never found an ESRB version of Asphalt 2 Urban GT and only had the press kit. The official ESRB release only released through mail order which you can see by looking at the sticker on the new copy I got from Atari Age, so not only did I find one but I found one with all the unique identifiers (and sealed) which i thought was really cool. This is the whole US set for this platform, a rare thing for me.

20230216_154438.jpg.4aca3330b782b5d4e481ac8f6bca8319.jpg

20230216_154507.jpg

20230216_154518.jpg

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't really collect sets, but I guess this is sort of one.

My very first hunt for an unofficial Gameboy release was the pirate translation of the first Telefang game "Pokemon Diamond". It wasn't the first one I found, but I still think of it as a big part of how I started hunting unofficial Gameboy releases. Now I've found a pirate cart in every language for both the original Telefang and its GBA sequel. Or at least that is what I did say. Someone discovered an Italian translation for the first game, so I guess I'll go hunt that down now.  I guess it is hard to make a set out of something when you don't even know what all makes up the set

The ones with the deer are Telefang Speed translations. I have that in Chinese and German. The ones with the serpent are Telefang Power Translations. I have that in Spanish and English. The ones with Kyogre are Telefang 2 Speed. I have a Chinese cart and an English cart. The ones with Groudon are Telefang 2 Power. I have carts in English, German, and Chinese.

The one that says "Gema Color" is still in Japanese. It replaces all the monsters with Pokemon. Does anyone care to guess which one they picked for the final boss?

Telefang.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

• 9 months later...