IGNORED

Games that are so unfinished that they deserve not even an F, but an INCOMPLETE! Yes, an I...even lower than an F! Down there by M!

Estil

Since this thread is back, I'll bring up Proteus. A game that was supposed to be an open world RPG, but instead the developer just released basically nothing with a nice art style and some ambient music. But some people love how deep a game with no content is because sometimes the indie game scene gets really caught up in smelling their own farts.

Here's a quote I mined from the first page of Google. I mean jeez guys, it's a walking simulator where nothing happens.

Viewed from this perspective, Proteus's combination of free exploration and chance strongly evokes ideas from mid-twentieth-century musical modernism, including the graphic scores of Cardew and Cage and the “mobile form” works of Stockhausen and Ligeti. Proteus further complicates analysis by concealing the mechanisms that produce particular musical fragments and by eliding the roles of listener and player/performer. This article examines the tensions inherent in the complementary actions of playing/performing Proteus and listening to/analyzing it, and argues that the game challenges the distinctions between creator, performer, and observer by vividly embodying the most deeply ingrained metaphors of music analysis.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Since this thread is back, I'll bring up Proteus.

Ah, yes. I remember playing a demo of it all those years ago and thinking, "Hey. This looks kinda neat in that abstract, voxel-y sort of way. Once they've added in the game play elements, this could be pretty cool!"

They never added in the game play elements.

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Since this thread is back, I'll bring up Proteus. A game that was supposed to be an open world RPG, but instead the developer just released basically nothing with a nice art style and some ambient music. But some people love how deep a game with no content is because sometimes the indie game scene gets really caught up in smelling their own farts.

Here's a quote I mined from the first page of Google. I mean jeez guys, it's a walking simulator where nothing happens.

Viewed from this perspective, Proteus's combination of free exploration and chance strongly evokes ideas from mid-twentieth-century musical modernism, including the graphic scores of Cardew and Cage and the “mobile form” works of Stockhausen and Ligeti. Proteus further complicates analysis by concealing the mechanisms that produce particular musical fragments and by eliding the roles of listener and player/performer. This article examines the tensions inherent in the complementary actions of playing/performing Proteus and listening to/analyzing it, and argues that the game challenges the distinctions between creator, performer, and observer by vividly embodying the most deeply ingrained metaphors of music analysis.

That sounds like a review written by an AI and not any human--intelligent or otherwise.

1 hour ago, RH said:

That sounds like a review written by an AI and not any human--intelligent or otherwise.

As Dr. Daniel Dennett might say, that review is a "deepity".

Deepity noun
     : a statement or idea which appears profound and sophisticated, but which bears no actual meaning or value

Look at that word salad. 

If you guys asked me to write the most pretentious, Douchey-sounding review I possibly could it would not even be half as good as that. 

Makes me picture every indy game as a beanie, flannel, suspender and skinny jean wearing ultra hipster. 

Being clear and concise is so mainstream!

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

Mario Bros. 3. They never finished putting in saves which ruined its perfection.

You know I've been wondering about that, well something relating to that.

I don't know if you're joking, or do we know maybe this was something conclusively they were planning to add but failed to?

The reason I'm asking this is very very simple.  I'm sure enough of you may not want to own, but you are aware of, that there is a series of new game board famicom and nes style carts out for some time, hot out of china which started earlier on with the Best Games of X (150~) in 1 for NES style and the Super Games 500in1 in the FC shell originally.

Each of them have a run down of various games that save to the battery it was a selling point for some because you could give a little and get some big fish like the Dragon Warrior quartet for instance, or even a cheapo one like Kirby and it would save.  The corner cutting problem, you can only save ONE game at a time, and if you fire up another game with SRAM you nuke your data.

Super Mario Bros 3 uniquely on that cartridge if you fire that up it will erase the SRAM.  It means the game does at some code level give the pirate board/chipset the request to tap SRAM.  Is this intentional like maybe it really did mean to save at some point in development, or just shoddy coding by either Nintendo, the pirates, both??

Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You know I've been wondering about that, well something relating to that.

I don't know if you're joking, or do we know maybe this was something conclusively they were planning to add but failed to?

The reason I'm asking this is very very simple.  I'm sure enough of you may not want to own, but you are aware of, that there is a series of new game board famicom and nes style carts out for some time, hot out of china which started earlier on with the Best Games of X (150~) in 1 for NES style and the Super Games 500in1 in the FC shell originally.

Each of them have a run down of various games that save to the battery it was a selling point for some because you could give a little and get some big fish like the Dragon Warrior quartet for instance, or even a cheapo one like Kirby and it would save.  The corner cutting problem, you can only save ONE game at a time, and if you fire up another game with SRAM you nuke your data.

Super Mario Bros 3 uniquely on that cartridge if you fire that up it will erase the SRAM.  It means the game does at some code level give the pirate board/chipset the request to tap SRAM.  Is this intentional like maybe it really did mean to save at some point in development, or just shoddy coding by either Nintendo, the pirates, both??

Any ideas?

SMB3 has 8 KB volatile work RAM on board. My guess is the pirate cart uses the same chip on its board for PRG RAM whether the game had it battery backed or not. Here's a search for games that have PRG RAM but are not battery backed.

Administrator · Posted

While I didn't really love Final Fantasy XV, I don't know that I personally consider it to qualify for this question.  The much much worse offender in my opinion, was the first, 2010 release of Final Fantasy XIV.  It was so bad that they basically re-made the game and re-released it a couple years later, which most fans consider to be the "true" FFXIV game, which is actually quite good.

The first release was full of bugs, plot-holes, and all around was just weirdly unpolished and felt extremely unfinished.  I remember looking forward to 14 after playing 11 many years prior, and being extremely disappointed.  

But then they were like "oops, pretend that didn't happen" and re-released it, and the 2013 release was significantly better, ha!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1