IGNORED

Dual citizenship: Anyone here have it, how does everyone feel about it?

fcgamer

My wife is a duel citizen of Taiwan and UK, and so are my two kids. I'm just straight British, I couldn't get Taiwanese citizenship unless I gave that up, so I'm just gonna stick with that.

Anyway, I think citizenship is stupid, I think people should be allowed to live wherever they want, as long as they pay their way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn’t that already the way it is?  If you’re pre loaded and are just bringing your millions into their country isn’t it more or less a comeon in sort of deal?  Maybe not.  Im pretty sure I’m entirely just making that up.  Or....start grading them golfs and call the history channel boys.  

I'm a US/UK dual citizen and I've always fantasized about a scenario where some country is like "nah, you can't come here, you're AMERICAN" and then I bust out my UK passport and they let me through.

Pretty sure that's not how it works, but that won't stop me from imagining it as a superpower. I also haven't bothered to ask her majesty for a passport yet...Guess that's why they call them fantasies.

Edited by Khromak

Social Team · Posted

The US military literally trained their soldiers to hide the fact that they are American. They didn't out right say it but if you don't visually claim to be American then you claim to be Canadian and slap the maple leaf flag on your backpack/luggage.  I'm from the Midwest so I can totally pass as a polite Canadian.

I have no issue with dual citizenship.  Especially if the new citizenship is for the place you currently live.  Too many Americans believe US citizenship has to be earned yet vast majority just happen to be born in America and never server in a public service role. YET there are foreign citizens sever in the military all the time, including going to war, and STILL don't get US citizenship.  It's honestly the saddest thing I've ever heard.  To think  that there are people who will die for my country and yet we have the gall to not give them citizenship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

The US military literally trained their soldiers to hide the fact that they are American. They didn't out right say it but if you don't visually claim to be American then you claim to be Canadian and slap the maple leaf flag on your backpack/luggage.  I'm from the Midwest so I can totally pass as a polite Canadian.

What is the reasoning for this?

I’ll probably get banned for this but I can’t tell the difference between the US and Canadian accent except if they say a few words that the US make fun of Canadian’s for.

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Shmup said:

I’ll probably get banned for this but I can’t tell the difference between the US and Canadian accent except if they say a few words that the US make fun of Canadian’s for.

The fear of a terrorist attack on a us military soldier and their family.  Also the risk of foreign intelligence agencies stealing information or planning spy shit on you that could help them.  Shit I'm sure CIA does to other countries citizens/soldiers.  You'd roll your eyes at the things they said we should do/avoid.  Like it some cases it's probably a valid thing but for every funking joe who serves?  No.  Pre 911 they wanted soldiers traveling within the states to be in uniform.  It was free advertisment really.  Now it's looked down on to do it.  It's not against the rules but generally they don't want it anymore.  They never really explained it to me but I got shade for wearing my uniform when I was traveling (flying) for military training.  Driving they wanted me in uniform for sure... .

steve brule GIF

But generally if other people don't know your American(soldier) they they won't target you if they are looking for an American(soldier).  99.999999% paranoia really.

Edited by FireHazard51

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

I'd always assumed Americans already knew this, but are you not aware that pretty much anywhere you go outside of America, Americans are hated?  Call it jealousy or whatever you want, but if you think the ending of "Independance Day" where all the Middle Easterners and everyone else on earth is cheering on America is a true reflection of the reality of life on this planet, then I've got some really baaaaaad news for you!  However, if you put a maple leaf on your jacket and tell anyone you meet while traveling that you're Canadian, you will generally receive a much warmer reception.  Just sayin'...

24 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

The fear of a terrorist attack on a us military soldier and their family.  Also the risk of foreign intelligence agencies stealing information or planning spy shit on you that could help them.  Shit I'm sure CIA does to other countries citizens/soldiers.  You'd roll your eyes at the things they said we should do/avoid.  Like it some cases it's probably a valid thing but for every funking joe who serves?  No.  Pre 911 they wanted soldiers traveling within the states to be in uniform.  It was free advertisment really.  Now it's looked down on to do it.  It's not against the rules but generally they don't want it anymore.  They never really explained it to me but I got shade for wearing my uniform when I was traveling (flying) for military training.  Driving they wanted me in uniform for sure... .

steve brule GIF

But generally if other people don't know your American(soldier) they they won't target you if they are looking for an American(soldier).  99.999999% paranoia really.

Makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'd always assumed Americans already knew this, but are you not aware that pretty much anywhere you go outside of America, Americans are hated?  Call it jealousy or whatever you want, but if you think the ending of "Independance Day" where all the Middle Easterners and everyone else on earth is cheering on America is a true reflection of the reality of life on this planet, then I've got some really baaaaaad news for you!  However, if you put a maple leaf on your jacket and tell anyone you meet while traveling that you're Canadian, you will generally receive a much warmer reception.  Just sayin'...

Haha yep I already knew this because I’m not American. Just wasn’t aware from a military perspective but firehazard51 has cleared it up.

10 hours ago, Khromak said:

I'm a US/UK dual citizen and I've always fantasized about a scenario where some country is like "nah, you can't come here, you're AMERICAN" and then I bust out my UK passport and they let me through.

Pretty sure that's not how it works, but that won't stop me from imagining it as a superpower. I also haven't bothered to ask her majesty for a passport yet...Guess that's why they call them fantasies.

Isn’t it that way in Hong Kong (former UK colony). Not for visiting, but for residency

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Let's discuss dual citizenship.

It has pluses and minuses. Pluses are that you can travel to both countries of citizenship and avoid the entry visa process. There’s no limitations on how long you can stay. You can buy property (some countries only sell real estate to citizens). You have another place you can go in case social/economic/ political condition start to become unbearable in your country of residence.

Minuses - some countries make their own citizens pay an exit tax when they leave the country. Some countries (US) tax their citizens on all income regardless of where it was earned. 

Being an alien traveler in a country, if you are charged with a crime, you can contact your countries state department or consulate office and have your country appeal to the foreign government on your behalf (this could also work against you if there is political tension between your country and the one you are visiting). However if you are a dual citizen, then the country you are charged with a crime in will treat you as one of their own, no help from your country of second citizenship.

All of this stuff will rarely matter. Mostly what matters is freedom of travel without visa restrictions (for example right now with covid many countries are only receiving arrivals of their own citizens) and the ability to own property.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

We're pretty sure Canada isn't a real place anyway 😅

I personally hate the idea of dual citizenship, it's something I've come to detest after living abroad and seeing the reality of it. Covid 19 definitely highlighted the problem with dual citizenship, imo.

For example, in Taiwan I once heard that having dual citizenship was as common as having a pet. Oddly enough though, it only works this way for locals, where they can rack up tons of citizenships from other countries, but you're a missionary doing volunteer work for forty years, foreigners in Taiwan generally have to give up their citizenship to become Taiwanense.

The problems that start to arise ate things as the following. For example, up until a few years back, it was a requirement for all Taiwanense men to join the military for a year if required service. I know a guy who was born in Taiwan, grew up in the states, then went back to Taiwan to work. He flew in on his American passport, so he could avoid the military service, yet he would then partake in Taiwan services such as good health care, etc, essentially manipulating the system and being a national of whichever country gave him the benefit, at that moment.

Similarly, thanks to Taiwan's handling of covid 19, suddenly many Taiwanense who went abroad to work for forty or fifty years, living the good life of higher salaries and what not, suddenly declare their Taiwanense citizenship so they can enjoy a comfortable and safe life away from the pandemic. Or those who come back once a year just for healthcare tourism.

Then there are those who have never even stepped foot in the country before, yet have dual citizenship because of their parents. Suddenly they come back to the other country and claim to be Taiwanense (well for this example), yet I'm definitely more Taiwanense than they are, even in terms of country loyalty.

Then there's situations such as the tragic train accident from earlier this week, or the way Covid-19 cases were reported here. Look at the headline, but in reality the person who died was a Taiwanense American, so labelling it as a foreigner death is quite misleading.

And what about dual citizenship holders playing on sports teams, depending what's preferable?

So I personally feel that the idea of dual citizenship sucks big time. More often than not it seems the people just abuse it to get personal gains, whilst not giving anything back to the country. I'm definitely against it.

IMG_20210404_134901.jpg