IGNORED

Witnessing one-of-a-kind incidents

GPX

Not sure if there is a similar thread on here, but I just wanted to share an incident that I feel is quite rare to witness..

This happened about a month ago, while sitting on a table to eat at work. Then a fly came across and I tried to smack it from the air. And I hit it! But wait there’s more! 

The fly landed on the table, laid on its back and started to jerk its legs for about 5-10 seconds and then laid motionless. I went to grab a tissue to pick up the fly, thinking that it was dead. But then I saw it popping up and started to walk! The walk was a slow, haphazard path..and I realized then that the fly had a concussion with a short seizure episode!

I then picked up the fly, squished it and threw it in the bin. But heck! Smacking a fly in the air, causing a concussion and witnessing a seizure, pretty rare stuff eh?!

• Wow! 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted

One night I was heading home from a game night in town.  It was late and it was dark and I live in a neighborhood about ten miles outside of the city, that I usually travel to on back roads.  For that reason you have to be extra, extra diligent, lest you crash into a deer or elk.

Well on this particular night it was a bit snowy, and a bit icy; always extra fun in the darkness.  So I was travelling hunched over the wheel, knuckles white on the steering wheel.

Now, near the end of the main road I travel down there is a large farm that it wraps around.  All along the farmhouse are these huge trees that hang over the road.  Almost like a tunnel.  A downhill tunnel.  This thing is a bit treacherous in bad conditions.

So I climbed the hill before the farm, crested the top, and then began the rapid descent down.

I don't know what was going on that night at the farmhouse, but there were people. People crossing the road.  2-3 of them.  Late at night like this.

So I hit the brake, and felt the car start to fishtail a little bit.  I recovered a bit, and tapped it again.  It was too late, I wouldn't be able to stop in time.  So I aimed to thread the needle and put all of my video game-honed driving skills to the test.

And I hit them.  Every one of them. They all went under the wheels.

I quickly drove home, concealed the evidence, and waited for the inevitable police visit.  It never came.

Sometimes I wonder what ended up happening to them 🤔

(paging battymo)

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

When I was five there was a hill at the end of our cul-de-sac which led down to a free range dairy farm. Hundreds of cows. The hill/meadow itself was incredibly steep (you could even almost say sheer) and probably ten acres in size.

One day while riding our bikes to the cul-de-sac, there was a cow from the farm just chilling by the large climbing tree that stood by the very small gap in the shrubs that led to the top of the farm hill. Just eating grass. Still to this day I have no idea why the cow was so far from the rest of the animals and how the fuck it climbed that hill and managed to squeeze through a gap in the shrubs that was difficult for even my five-year-old body to get through. 

We climbed the tree and pet the cow for several hours that day. She seemed to like our affection and just chilled without moving the whole time, chewing her grass. Came back the next day and she was gone. Never happened again or heard about a lost cow from the town or the farmer, so I have to assume she just went back home. 

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GPX said:

Not sure if there is a similar thread on here, but I just wanted to share an incident that I feel is quite rare to witness..

This happened about a month ago, while sitting on a table to eat at work. Then a fly came across and I tried to smack it from the air. And I hit it! But wait there’s more! 

The fly landed on the table, laid on its back and started to jerk its legs for about 5-10 seconds and then laid motionless. I went to grab a tissue to pick up the fly, thinking that it was dead. But then I saw it popping up and started to walk! The walk was a slow, haphazard path..and I realized then that the fly had a concussion with a short seizure episode!

I then picked up the fly, squished it and threw it in the bin. But heck! Smacking a fly in the air, causing a concussion and witnessing a seizure, pretty rare stuff eh?!

A fly doesn't have a central nervous system so a concussion / seizure would be impossible.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

This might be a tough one to describe, but I'll do my best.  In short, it's the only time I've had hyper-sensitive, super-human senses.

Ok, so one day in college I had a bad cold.  Even though I slept through my AM classes, I still needed food, so I meandered over to the cafeteria, grabbed my food and sat down at a table.  We had the typical fold out tables, where 3 people could fit on the long sides and one person could sit on each end.

I was on a long side, on a corner.  Slowly my friends started to show up and I was on the end of the row.  While having our general conversations, someone on the far end from me was talking, so I was more facing in that direction--slightly turned towards the opposite end of the table.

Well, from the corner of my eye, opposite of the guy speaking and two tables over, I see someone chuck a mini-muffin.  It arcs up in the air, heading straight for our table.  There was something about the stupor of being sick that everything felt like it was in a little bit of slow motion.  Anyway, I slowly lifted my hand, caught the muffin mid air and slowly placed it on the table.  I never turned my head towards it.  This happened 100% in periphery.  Needless to say, it freaked out the guy who threw the muffin.

Edited by RH
  • Like 7

I used to do card tricks where I'd have you pick a card from the deck and I would pick a card, then tell you what both cards were before turning yours over.

The trick was I knew which card I was picking before I shuffled them and I switched them so I was able to look at your card before flipping them both over 

Anyway, I did this on my uncle and he was amazed but wouldn't be convinced until he was able to pick both cards himself without me looking at them at all. I figured it would be more hilarious to fail miserably so I let him go for it and just picked some card at random with a 1/52 chance of getting it correct. I said the card, flipped it over and got it exactly right, the whole time pretending like I meant to do it. To this day he still doesn't know how I did that and it was just a total fluke.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GPX said:

I think this is easier than you'd think.  I use to take a baseball bat to carpenter bees as a kid.  They kept boring into the exposed wood of our home and we had no good way of killing them, so my parents didn't care that if I had bat or a stick, I'd swing at them until I hit a home run.  This never killed them but always stunned them.  I'd step on them when I found them, but if I couldn't find them in the grass in time, they'd get up and fly off.  Pesky buggers.

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, RH said:

This might be a tough one to describe, but I'll do my best.  In short, it's the only time I've had hyper-sensitive, super-human senses.

Ok, so one day in college I had a bad cold.  Even though I slept through my AM classes, I still needed food, so I meandered over to the cafeteria, grabbed my food and sat down at table.  We had the typical fold out tables, where 3 people could fit on the long sides and one person could sit on each end.

I was on a long side, on a corner.  Slowly my friends started to show up and I was on the end of the row.  While having our general conversations, someone on the far end from me was talking, so I was more facing in that direction--slightly turned towards the opposite end of the table.

Well, from the corner of my eye, opposite of the guy speaking, two table over, I see someone chuck a mini-muffin.  It arcs up in the air, heading straight for our table.  There was something about the stupor of being sick that everything felt like it was in a little bit of slow motion.  Anyway, I slowly lifted my hand, caught the muffin mid air, slowly placed it on the table.  I never turned my head towards it.  This happened 100% in periphery.  Needless to say, it freaked out the guy who threw the muffin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GPX said:

Congratulations, you just made me feel sorry for a fly. 😥

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

A fly doesn't have a central nervous system so a concussion / seizure would be impossible.

I actually never thought about flies and central nervous systems. I mean, I’m not a vet, but unless it was limb jerks from traumatic orgasm, I can’t think of anything else other than it being a seizure?

And OMG, I did some further research, it turns out flies can have seizures:

https://now.uiowa.edu/2012/03/case-epileptic-flies

So I just discovered that it is indeed rare to see flies having seizures!

And flies do have brains, so technically anything with a brain can have a concussion:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cerebrovortex.com/2014/06/03/fruit-flies-have-concussions-too/amp/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RH said:

I think this is easier than you'd think.  I use to take a baseball bat to carpenter bees as a kid.  They kept boring into the exposed wood of our home and we had no good way of killing them, so my parents didn't care that if I had bat or a stick, I'd swing at them until I hit a home run.  This never killed them but always stunned them.  I'd step on them when I found them, but if I couldn't find them in the grass in time, they'd get up and fly off.  Pesky buggers.

The incident I witnessed was slightly different to your case. Firstly I smacked it with my bare hand instead of a bat, and the fact the limbs were jerking, which was the main rare part of the story. 

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Congratulations, you just made me feel sorry for a fly. 😥

Sorry to upset. I should have just let it regather full consciousness so it can zip around and spread more germs and noise while I was having my lunch.. 

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

My dad happened to be practicing his golf swing in the basement one day. A mouse happened to run across my dad's path, and it became a perfect substitute for a ball. It ended up flying through the air before hitting a wall. What a day for the poor mouse.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

My dad happened to be practicing his golf swing in the basement one day. A mouse happened to run across my dad's path, and it became a perfect substitute for a ball. It ended up flying through the air before hitting a wall. What a day for the poor mouse.

That’s unbelievable, rarer than a hole-in-one! 😆

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

In a similar vein, there was a mouse terrorizing my parents for several weeks.  They live across the street from a farm, so they usually get a couple a year, but this one was apparently only hanging out for the day and then partying outside all night or something, so it felt no need to go near the traps.

Then one night as we were leaving, my wife ran over a mouse that was running across the road from their house to the farm field.  We joked with them that we finally took care of their problem (not thinking it was the same mouse) and sure enough, it was! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I have a similar one like that too. This is amusing because it's making me sound like a well coordinated ninja, where I actually have poor control but some times you get lucky.

I was at the driving range once and out on the 100 or 150 yard sign, a bird was sitting on it. It sat there for a while, while myself and 3 or 4 other people were driving. Well, I can't explain it but one time I got the ball and it was flying in a path where at it's closest, it was going to be about 10-15' away from the sign. As soon as I hit the ball, my brain thought, it's going to hit that bird. Sure enough, the bird decided to take off perpendicular to the line of flight of the ball and it smacked it HARD. I felt bad for it. It was one of my last balls too, so I didn't stick around to see if it lived. I think it might have died though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RH said:

I have a similar one like that too. This is amusing because it's making me sound like a well coordinated ninja, where I actually have poor control but some times you get lucky.

I was at the driving range once and out on the 100 or 150 yard sign, a bird was sitting on it. It sat there for a while, while myself and 3 or 4 other people were driving. Well, I can't explain it but one time I got the ball and it was flying in a path where at it's closest, it was going to be about 10-15' away from the sign. As soon as I hit the ball, my brain thought, it's going to hit that bird. Sure enough, the bird decided to take off perpendicular to the line of flight of the ball and it smacked it HARD. I felt bad for it. It was one of my last balls too, so I didn't stick around to see if it lived. I think it might have died though.

This thread is starting to sound like “animal massacre stories.” 😅

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2021 at 6:36 AM, GPX said:

This thread is starting to sound like “animal massacre stories.” 😅

Hahaha, that reminds me of another one.

A few weeks back, I saw an old woman standing on the street swatting at butterflies with a fly swatter. Evil hag!

• 7 months later...

In keeping with the “animal massacre theme”, I would like to recount an event that happened several days ago.

While peeing in the toilet, I saw a mosquito buzzing by. Once I finished with the excretion process, the mosquito was flying very near the toilet window. I tried punching at the mosquito, with my fist landing with a soft pound against the window. Then I saw the mosquito fall onto the window sill! I initially thought I had squashed it against the window..

I took a closer inspection, the mosquito laid motionless on its back, with its entire body still intact. I blew on it to check if it was dead, and then it started flailing around its limbs for a few seconds. Then it laid motionless again. So I blew at it again, and another episode of random limb movements. Then I realized I caused the mosquito a concussion! Likely from direct impact from my fist, or my fist hit it and it bounced into the window for further impact! 

TLDR - I punched a mosquito, causing it to have a concussion.