IGNORED

Ability to switch between consoles

What is the thing I am looking for called?  I want to be able to hook multiple systems to it, and then be able to switch at my leisure, all connected to the TV.  I want to be able to hook up Xbox/Dreamcast/Ps2 and some older systems.  I have HDMI converters for the named consoles but the others I believe will have to be COAX or AV.  Any suggestions? 

Administrator · Posted

You're looking for literally a "Switch", or a "Switcher". Could also be referred to as a "Splitter".

If you look up "AV Switch" for instance, you should find results matching your needs.

I have this for my AV consoles and I know at least a few others here do too:

https://www.amazon.ca/axGear-Switch-Composite-Selector-Audio/dp/B07JDS1PP4/

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
17 hours ago, Gloves said:

You're looking for literally a "Switch", or a "Switcher". Could also be referred to as a "Splitter".

If you look up "AV Switch" for instance, you should find results matching your needs.

I have this for my AV consoles and I know at least a few others here do too:

https://www.amazon.ca/axGear-Switch-Composite-Selector-Audio/dp/B07JDS1PP4/

I just bought that exact same thing for my av consoles

When I hit the wall years back due to 2 HDMI ports I did some poking about and found this randomly named company brand called DINGER.  They made like 2-5 port hubs with a remote, not necessary, unless you have a system that's just finicky.  It's smart, whatever system fires up, it auto-switches to the thing and pop right on your TV.  They are powered, so you'll need a free power jack, but they come with the cord/adapter at least so it's not an added buy.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:20 AM, Gloves said:

Could also be referred to as a "Splitter".

I don't think I'd recommend a splitter that works as a switch. Yes, they exist, but they are passive and outside of potentially lower image quality, they'll also be sharing signals between the consoles, including any voltage sent. It can get pretty ugly (I've blown at least one fuse that way), and at the very least you'll risk still having to unplug other consoles just to use one.

Administrator · Posted
39 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I don't think I'd recommend a splitter that works as a switch. Yes, they exist, but they are passive and outside of potentially lower image quality, they'll also be sharing signals between the consoles, including any voltage sent. It can get pretty ugly (I've blown at least one fuse that way), and at the very least you'll risk still having to unplug other consoles just to use one.

Good advice. I've seen the terms used interchangeably, but if there's a technical difference like that then definitely a good flag. 

Yes, I definitely agree with using active / powered switches vs passive. Quality is so much better. Also, manufacturer matters obviously.

Am I wrong in stating RCA and JVC made some of the best analog switchers (composite, s-video, and component)? In my experience, I notice many of the active-powered switchers I owned by those brands do not affect quality of image or sound. I don't have experience using any of their RF switchers.

You probably should use a different box for switching HDMI inputs. All-in-ones will probably sacrifice quality of the analogs. Also, the do everything boxes usually cost a lot more.