IGNORED

Game Debate #38: Wolfenstein 3D

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I'm kinda sad that nobody seem to like Wolfenstein anymore. Yeah, Doom obviously blows it away, but I still think Wolfenstein is great fun on it's own.

I do prefer the level set found in the console versions over the 60-map DOS game, and I like to play through some version of wolf3d every couple of years or so.

My favorite is the 3DO port, as it has all the updated weapons and features of the other console versions, as well as a pretty cool new soundtrack. The Jaguar game is damn good too and yeah, I even enjoy the SNES game.

8/10

Edited by cj_robot
  • Like 1

If Doom hadn't come around, I still wouldn't enjoy Wolfenstein 3D much.

The 3D gimmick really does nothing for me, and I don't think the game utilizes it in any way that makes it relevant. Doom does that. In fact, Doom does it in ways very few first person games have done it since, surprisingly (outside of horror games, anyway)

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

Does anyone remember Blake Stone? It was a Wolfenstein clone on DOS that I'm pretty sure was the first FPS game I ever played... the shareware version, of course!

1312954-1261808470_13.png.e8a9ceebeaa3cef349d8fa20b5d27881.png

unnamed.png.e1b21fbc6da9373fb6158816f609f48f.png

bstone-7.png.069612ac110dce4dd8b3bc9cc2e077f4.png

I loved that game back in the day, and the sequel.  They're up on GoG ready to go and dirt cheap too.  They used a modified version of the original Wolf3D engine which added quite a few new tricks, display features, and other things it lacked too.  It took the Wolfy engine as close to Doom as it could without having multi-level stages (steps, high platforms, etc.)  You had floor and ground textures, more detailed walls (and variety too), creatures were more detailed, smarter a bit, everything more animated.  I'm not sure if it's the high bar for the engine but it really is quite solid, maybe Rise of the Triad was and it did have multi-level ground if it was a modified wolf engine as Apogee handled it too.

• Like 1

It was fun back in the day, but the later levels got too hard and complicated for me.  Also the controls really matter with games like wolf, doom, and quake.  Back then I played them all with keyboard.  If I had known about mouse controls back then I probably would have had a much better experience with these games, but at the time I was new to both pc gaming and FPS games.  7/10

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, Webhead123 said:

5/10

In a world where Doom does not exist, Wolf 3D would have a little bit more to offer in terms of appeal. Unfortunately, Wolf 3D ended up being just a stepping stone (albeit an important one) toward the real-deal FPS experience and, in hindsight, feels positively anemic by comparison.

Don't get me wrong...I like Wolf 3D. I actually play it via source port occasionally. It is fun. It's just not a fraction as fun, inspired or polished as Doom.

Ditto this. 100%

• Like 1