IGNORED

Anyone have advice on anxiety - dealing with it quickly

Soma

7 minutes ago, Soma said:

Yeah man, I've turned to natural remedies over the years. However I'm starting to feel like I need something extra to this or else I don't know

Yeah, they have other types of meds that aren't just barbiturates or benzos. I'm telling you, once you see a doctor they can do trial and error with that stuff and hopefully find something that works for you. 

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah, they have other types of meds that aren't just barbiturates or benzos. I'm telling you, once you see a doctor they can do trial and error with that stuff and hopefully find something that works for you. 

I still haven't found anything that works 100% after 15 years, so patience is the key.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I still haven't found anything that works 100% after 15 years, so patience is the key.

Yeah, I'm lucky im pretty good most of the time. Which is basically like a dream come true from where I was at one point in my life. It helps to also identify the triggers if you have any. My anxiety used to be all over the place, out of control and completely unmanaged. The only real trigger I still have is being stuck in traffic. Luckily my commute went from about 2hours..one way, to about 20 mins. 😎

• Like 1

Just now, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah, I'm lucky im pretty good most of the time. Which is basically like a dream come true from where I was at one point in my life. It helps to also identify the triggers if you have any. My anxiety used to be all over the place, out of control and completely unmanaged. The only real trigger I still have is being stuck in traffic. Luckily my commute went from about 2hours..one way, to about 20 mins. 😎

That's similar to me. I have an issue any time I'm 15+ minutes from home. It comes down to me having to convince myself that wherever I'm going is just as safe as sitting at home.    

• Like 1

I just wanted to chime in and say how fantastic it is to see so many people reaching out and providing compassionate advice. This is a great community.

I'm certainly not an expert on anxiety, but I'd like to echo a few things others have said. First of all, daily exercise (both mental and physical) has been shown to elevate mood and improve coping skills, so you should really try to make that a priority. There are literally thousands of free fitness videos on YouTube that require no equipment. Secondly, do not self-medicate with sedatives/alcohol; they absolutely depress your mood and provide no long term benefit. Counseling and anti-anxiety medications are effective, if you can afford them. If you can't, then other outlets mentioned in this thread are certainly worth a try.

Good luck! You will absolutely get through this and you have a cheering squad here to back you up.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
30 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I just wanted to chime in and say how fantastic it is to see so many people reaching out and providing compassionate advice. This is a great community.

I'm certainly not an expert on anxiety, but I'd like to echo a few things others have said. First of all, daily exercise (both mental and physical) has been shown to elevate mood and improve coping skills, so you should really try to make that a priority. There are literally thousands of free fitness videos on YouTube that require no equipment. Secondly, do not self-medicate with sedatives/alcohol; they absolutely depress your mood and provide no long term benefit. Counseling and anti-anxiety medications are effective, if you can afford them. If you can't, then other outlets mentioned in this thread are certainly worth a try.

Good luck! You will absolutely get through this and you have a cheering squad here to back you up.

The Old School Runescape clan I'm in has a Discord and we have a channel dedicated to mental wellness. A Runescape clan's Discord, of all places.

Gamers man, I'm tellin' ya.

• Like 3

Yeah I agree on this community being very caring and positive from where I see it.  It's the reason I'm here really, especially right now.  I can't thank y'all enough for your responses.  I need to get more disciplined with a personal routine that will ease me into my day most definitely, I think.  I'm pretty aimless right now, work two jobs, and have little time to be productive for myself.  There's a turning point happening in my life, I can feel it.  It's just very testing at the moment, and I'm just scared of the results if I don't do anything.  I need to look into my local mental health care, hoping that an option based on my income is available.  Y'all are really helping me, as always

• Like 3
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Both actually. Taking the extended release tablets during the day was helpful and the gel caps helped for the immediate issues.

I never knew that there was such a thing as time-released melatonin.  Might have to look into that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soma said:

I never knew that there was such a thing as time-released melatonin.  Might have to look into that!

Mental health is one of my favourite topics to discuss. I have some genuine advice for you:

- the first step is to seek professional help if you feel you need some advice. A family doctor who deals with mental health is an ideal person to seek first.

- it’s great you are getting a lot of good advice, but the information can really get overwhelming; furthermore everyone will have different triggers and degree of anxiety, so some of the advice may not necessarily fit your path of recovery.

- best to also do a general health check; some prior mention on this thread that there can be many other biological triggers in various deficiencies or hormonal excess etc.

- from the above measures, later then it might become more clearer which is the next step eg. medication, psychologist or psychiatrist input. 

- exercise, avoidance of toxins will benefit, but may not necessarily cure.

- there is no quick fix. Patience and acceptance of the situation are the cornerstone of recovery. Hard work is needed to improve, but seeking the right people for help is also key.

• Like 1

I used to get generalized anxiety. Trying to find a pattern in what is setting off the anxiety helped some. Played with the barbituates some and while they are nom's, they really just make things worse. I really think eating better and exercise helped me a lot. I don't go all out to the gym or anything, but have a pull up bar/push up bar and free weights. And it's always good to remember that anxiety is normal in anxiety causing situations.

• Like 2