IGNORED

Anyone have advice on anxiety - dealing with it quickly

Soma

5 minutes ago, Soma said:

Thank you for the kind advice - I'm trying my best to focus on physical or creative activities to take my mind off of things.  I happen to have a piano that I rarely play - may take some time to mess around, hopefully without making myself sadder!

Sometimes playing an instrument can make you sadder, yet also it can just be a canvas to let everything flow out ultimately alleviating any frustrations, anxieties, pains, etc. 

What I do know is that you will overcome your situation in one way or another, the hardest part sometimes is not knowing how things will work themselves out, but things ultimately always do.

Just now, fcgamer said:

What I do know is that you will overcome your situation in one way or another, the hardest part sometimes is not knowing how things will work themselves out, but things ultimately always do.

So true - I'm stuck focusing on the latter part of that when I know I need to remember I'll get through it.  It's really hard when in that focus of not knowing - coupled with pain, it has me thinking dark dark stuff

Anxiety is a big part of my PTSD.  IT IS HELL!

There is no quick fix other than a benzo like Ativan, but it just puts a temporary bandaid if it works at all.

Long term fix is medication and therapy.  I have been under treatment for about 11 years now, and until I found my current doctor in 2015, I was in pretty bad shape.  Since then she found the right meds and I worked hard on therapy to get better.

30 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Anxiety is a big part of my PTSD.  IT IS HELL!

There is no quick fix other than a benzo like Ativan, but it just puts a temporary bandaid if it works at all.

Long term fix is medication and therapy.  I have been under treatment for about 11 years now, and until I found my current doctor in 2015, I was in pretty bad shape.  Since then she found the right meds and I worked hard on therapy to get better.

Your story is interesting and inspiring to me.  I might need this

22 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Anxiety is a chemical imbalance in your body, you can't just deal with it on some emotional level. You need to figure out how to correct the chemical imbalance and that will be the only way to resolve it.

Yeah as much as I don't know how to feel about it, the chemical imbalance thing is probably a lot of the reason.  I guess you go through stuff - traumatic things - and it creates this really bad habit in your brain that sometimes becomes this endless loop.  That mixed with chemistry being off is the worst thing in life I've experienced

Edited by Soma

4 minutes ago, Soma said:

Yeah as much as I don't know how to feel about it, the chemical imbalance thing is probably a lot of the reason.  I guess you go through stuff - traumatic things - and it creates this really bad habit in your brain that sometimes becomes this endless loop.  That mixed with chemistry being off is the worst thing in life I've experienced

No, that's not what I mean. If you aren't secreting the proper balance of hormones in your body, you can get too much or too little of something, specifically cortisol. There could be a problem with your hypothalmus, your pituitary gland, your thyroid. Any of these could be causing a chemical imbalance and you could possibly easily resolve your anxiety by just explaining it to your doctor and regulating it with pills. Or you could simply need to change your diet, my brother had to cut out caffeine and certain sugars with his thyroid irregularity. Or it could be as simple as sleep, a lot of hormone regulation is done to manage sleep patterns and if you don't sleep enough, you get psychotic.

Go see your doctor, dude, he's probably seen this a thousand times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

No, that's not what I mean. If you aren't secreting the proper balance of hormones in your body, you can get too much or too little of something, specifically cortisol. There could be a problem with your hypothalmus, your pituitary gland, your thyroid. Any of these could be causing a chemical imbalance and you could possibly easily resolve your anxiety by just explaining it to your doctor and regulating it with pills. Or you could simply need to change your diet, my brother had to cut out caffeine and certain sugars with his thyroid irregularity. Or it could be as simple as sleep, a lot of hormone regulation is done to manage sleep patterns and if you don't sleep enough, you get psychotic.

Go see your doctor, dude, he's probably seen this a thousand times.

Yeah no I got what you mean - I'm aware of what anti-anxiety/depression drugs do actively to the brain.  I've taken the stance that less is more when it comes to taking chemical substances in the last few decades, but as my issues have only gotten worse, I'm rethinking my boundaries

Edited by Soma

4 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

There's really no quick fix though. No caffeine/stimulants, try to find a good anxiety work book on Amazon. I used to have one a while ago. It helped to read it and go through the exercises. I cant remember the name of the one I had unfortunately. When I was younger, I used to self medicate with alcohol but one of the problems with that is your anxiety can have a bounce back, so to speak, after you sober up and can actually increase. You should definitely seek treatment from a doctor though if it's that bad. There's no need to suffer. Good luck. 👍🏻

I'll back this up. I've had severe anxiety issues for over 15 years and that was how I tried to deal with it. I would justify it by saying that buying a case of beer was better than buying drugs (beyond what I was already prescribed). If there was a quick fix, I wish somebody would let me know. I wish I could say something would eventually get rid of it, but I can't. The only solution is to try to find a safe way to manage it. I used to hate it when people told me I needed a distraction, but that's the best way that I've found to deal with it. When my mind isn't occupied is when it is usually the worst. Reading, gaming or watching something that requires attention usually help me, but everyone is different so you may need to find whatever works for you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'll back this up. I've had severe anxiety issues for over 15 years and that was how I tried to deal with it. I would justify it by saying that buying a case of beer was better than buying drugs (beyond what I was already prescribed). If there was a quick fix, I wish somebody would let me know. I wish I could say something would eventually get rid of it, but I can't. The only solution is to try to find a safe way to manage it. I used to hate it when people told me I needed a distraction, but that's the best way that I've found to deal with it. When my mind isn't occupied is when it is usually the worst. Reading, gaming or watching something that requires attention usually help me, but everyone is different so you may need to find whatever works for you. 

Thank you brother

24 minutes ago, Soma said:

Yeah no I got what you mean - I'm aware of what anti-anxiety/depression drugs do actively to the brain.  I've taken the stance that less is more when it comes to taking chemical substances in the last few decades, but as my issues have only gotten worse, I'm rethinking my boundaries

Dude, no, not just drugs. Diet changes, exercise, sleep monitoring, lots of other environmental factors. I have a watch that monitors all of my activity, oxygen levels in my blood, heart rate, sleep patters and charts it all on my phone. I can see any irregularities and adjust accordingly by just changing something slightly.

It could also just be a vitamin deficiency, not everything is all drugs.

33 minutes ago, Soma said:

Based on my experience, I would recommend doing whatever you can to avoid medication. You have way more control that way. 

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Dude, no, not just drugs. Diet changes, exercise, sleep monitoring, lots of other environmental factors. I have a watch that monitors all of my activity, oxygen levels in my blood, heart rate, sleep patters and charts it all on my phone. I can see any irregularities and adjust accordingly by just changing something slightly.

It could also just be a vitamin deficiency, not everything is all drugs.

I feel you.  You're right all those things factor into your health, and as a result, your well-being.  I personally look at drugs as some extra thing in my life, as I (think) I take pretty decent care of myself - try to eat balanced and all-natural diet, daily excersice, good sleep especially lately....but I also fully realize I'm not aware of my levels of anything physically in my body and that something is off.  Not having health insurance and not having a physical in years makes it possible there's something else going on.  I am throwing it out there I guess to try to help me find a path

1 minute ago, Soma said:

I feel you.  You're right all those things factor into your health, and as a result, your well-being.  I personally look at drugs as some extra thing in my life, as I (think) I take pretty decent care of myself - try to eat balanced and all-natural diet, daily excersice, good sleep especially lately....but I also fully realize I'm not aware of my levels of anything physically in my body and that something is off.  Not having health insurance and not having a physical in years makes it possible there's something else going on.  I am throwing it out there I guess to try to help me find a path

I lived on a diet of Xanax (prescribed) and a case of Miller Lite a day which controlled my anxiety (I actually managed to function for years) until it didn't anymore and I landed in rehab for a month to get me off of what was actually making things tolerable. You may stumble a few times finding your path, but eventually you will get there. 

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I lived on a diet of Xanax (prescribed) and a case of Miller Lite a day which controlled my anxiety (I actually managed to function for years) until it didn't anymore and I landed in rehab for a month to get me off of what was actually making things tolerable. You may stumble a few times finding your path, but eventually you will get there. 

Yeah that's exactly what my best friend used to do. He used to take a bottle of xanax with a bottle of fireball lol. I heard him do the death rattle more than once. His brother died doing the same shit which gave him ptsd. My buddy was lucky enough to make it through, he's doing much better now. He's 6'5'' 270lbs and if he was my size im sure he'd have been dead already.

Just now, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah that's exactly what my best friend used to do. He used to take a bottle of xanax with a bottle of fireball lol. I heard him do the death rattle more than once. His brother died doing the same shit which gave him ptsd. My buddy was lucky enough to make it through, he's doing much better now. He's 6'5'' 270lbs and if he was my size im sure he'd have been dead already.

I was prescribed 3mg Xanax and I stuck to it because it wasn't worth dealing with the withdrawals if I ran out early. I was literally up to that and case of beer a night. Maybe being the same size helped me, but I don't know how much longer I would have made it if I didn't get away from that.

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

He'd go through his monthly prescription in like 2 or 3 days. 

I probably would have too if I knew I could get it somewhere. It's tough to find and what you can get on the street isn't always legit. All I knew was that it wasn't worth the withdrawals to run out, so I managed not to overdo it.

Just now, BriGuy82 said:

He'd go through his monthly prescription in like 2 or 3 days. 

Having taken xanax recreationally once, and going through its effects during and afterwards, made me realize why a lot of people I knew at the time we're having problems with it.  It's very effective on your mental state.  Then the day after I felt so drained and like, if it was possible to feel nothing - just empty.  

3 minutes ago, Soma said:

Having taken xanax recreationally once, and going through its effects during and afterwards, made me realize why a lot of people I knew at the time we're having problems with it.  It's very effective on your mental state.  Then the day after I felt so drained and like, if it was possible to feel nothing - just empty.  

It works great when you have it, but you also build up a tolerance to where you need it just to feel average. I avoid medications at this point based on that experience and how I've tolerated others.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It works great when you have it, but you also build up a tolerance to where you need it just to feel average. I avoid medications at this point based on that experience and how I've tolerated others.

Yeah man, I've turned to natural remedies over the years. However I'm starting to feel like I need something extra to this or else I don't know