IGNORED

Reproduction cardboard inserts in SNES CIBs

As part of a lot I recently received I have a few SNES games that are missing various pieces. Manuals are pretty straightforward b ut a number of games are missing the cardboard insert as well. My question is from a collecting/resale perspective, what are people's opinions on reproduction cardboard inserts for CIB games? It certainly makes the presentation and completeness feel a lot better, but I'm wondering if it would be misleading for a collector if I were to sell or trade these later and the cardboard was not authentic (esp if I've forgotten by then.)

What are your guys' thoughts on it? I'm thinking of getting some anyway so my boxes are stable but if it might present an issue for future collectors/buyers I want to make sure I'm keeping trakc of which ones I replaced myself. I suspect a couple have them already anyway based on how loose they are.

Thanks for your thoughts 🙂

I used to be against them, but like @BortLicensePlatesays they're important for the structural integrity of the box. I'd rather just use one until I can replace it than have the cart rattling around the box. I don't care if I have repro Sega CD/Saturn foam for the same reason, because it serves a purpose to maintain condition, although in that case I'm sure I'm never going to get 100s of legit 90s foam inserts.

You could always write repro somewhere on the inserts so you know which ones you replaced for the future.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I used to be against them, but like @BortLicensePlatesays they're important for the structural integrity of the box. I'd rather just use one until I can replace it than have the cart rattling around the box. I don't care if I have repro Sega CD/Saturn foam for the same reason, because it serves a purpose to maintain condition, although in that case I'm sure I'm never going to get 100s of legit 90s foam inserts.

You could always write repro somewhere on the inserts so you know which ones you replaced for the future.

I was thinking just that - a note in my spreadsheet for my collection that it's a repro as well as maybe a small mark in marker somewhere on the back of the insert so its easy for me to tell. I definitely prefer authentic for my insert stuff as well (including styrofoam!) but for my own sake not having the box fall apart is definitely first priority 🙂

I'm sure my opinion isn't acceptable to a lot, but given it's a generic white piece of cardboard anyone can manufacture over the decades I would not bother getting upset about it or diminishing the quality of the CIB game there over it either, same with the generic baggy some games had been sleeved into too.  I know there are those neurotics out there that would take offense, but I'd dare them to figure out the difference considering making copies of that specific material is super easy versus trying to nail down stickers, plastic shells, and the boards, boxes and manuals.

I remember some years back people lost their minds when starwander started selling 1:1 clones of the white tray that fits into Earthbound, it turned into a frenzy of rage and resentment over generic cardboard.  He was (is? haven't talked to him in a long stretch) an online friend and he found the entire freak out quite pathetic and I tended to agree.

In the end a generic piece of cardboard will help the original box retain its shape so it doesn't end up getting dented, crinkled, bowed, or smashed as easy with loose goods inside, and the baggy since I went there, protects the game sticker and plastic from getting worn down too.

• Like 4

That type of insert being a reproduction doesn't bother me since it has no art or personality. I agree with others that it's nice to have for the structural integrity of the box and I have added a few of these repro inserts to my collection over the years. If you're concerned about forgetting, just make a small mark on the cardboard to ensure you remember when you go to sell.

• Like 1

I personally don't have an issue with reproduction cardboard inserts for SNES games as to me it is such an insignificant park of the boxed game that it's just not worth the hassle of trying to verify authenticity. As long as the box, inserts and the cart are all genuine, then I'm good. Same thing goes with the foam for CIB NES games. 

• Like 1

Then we could go for some reproduction shrink-wrap too, and some ... Well when does the madness end?

Here's my thoughts, and it comes from a guy who cares about authenticity, yet doesn't care so much about condition.

I'd personally be unhappy to have a reproduction piece of cardboard in the box. It's not authenticate, it would bother me, especially if the seller didn't mention it. However, I can also look at the matter more reasonably, and I think that for most people it would be fine, especially as it would increase the soundness of the structure.

I think it's inevitable that these things like these will work their way into the market.  Styrofoam blocks, cardboard trays, cart baggies, cart labels, etc.  In fact, I only learned recently that tons of people swap out the backs of their carts if they can find a nicer one.  I figure it won't be long before game boxes and game manuals end up being indistinguishable from all but the most critical eye, maybe not even then.  It will tank the demand for some of those pieces, but what can you do?  I try to do my due diligence and really know what a piece should look like, but at the end of the day, I may never know.  It's just part of the uncertainty of the hobby.

Regarding authenticity, I think it’s fair to say as collectors, we’d all prefer original ones than fake/repro/bootleg/ counterfeit ones.

Regarding specifically the trays, they are an underrated aspect of the game, as they help to maintain the condition of all the contents. Particularly when a game is posted without a tray or when posted with a badly damaged tray, there are potential damages to the box and manual when all the contents bang up on each other. So in some instances, I prefer an undamaged repro tray compared with a badly damaged authentic tray.

• Like 1

Next thing you know what they need to do?  Reproduction new game box smell!  A small can of it like the size of a silly string canister.  A 1-2sec shot of it down into your box and it's right back to fraudulent factory fresh. 😄   Couple extra shots of it on your new tray and who would ever know.   hehe...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Next thing you know what they need to do?  Reproduction new game box smell!  A small can of it like the size of a silly string canister.  A 1-2sec shot of it down into your box and it's right back to fraudulent factory fresh. 😄   Couple extra shots of it on your new tray and who would ever know.   hehe...

Better patent that quickly

• Like 1

I personally use repro NES styrofoam and SNES cardboard inserts. I think if you're concerned about it you could put a marker or write REPRO on it like @DefaultGen said. They're both really important to have in the boxes. NES boxes can get bent on the top without the insert, and SNES boxes are all floppy and rattling inside without the insert.

I think some modern video game innovations are better than the authentic ones. For instance box protectors are much cooler than NES hard cases in my opinion. And Nintendo 64 end labels are key to a successful shelf display.

• Like 1