IGNORED

Xbox Series X / PS5

a3quit4s

Sorry if I missed that someone already started this thread.

Was looking to see if anyone picked up the Xbox Series X today and if they thought the purchase was worth it. With Halo being moved back to next year and no real decent launch titles, I decided to wait to grab one. 

PlayStation people welcome as well lol

Yeah I dunno nothing really just blew my mind about it. I’ll probably wait for the Series X to come back in at the Microsoft Company store and pick one up (it’s less than retail there for Microsoft employees and ex Microsoft employees). PS5 would also have to have an exclusive I’m dying to play to pick it up. 

I guess I’m just lacking new console hype for this generation. If I cared about frames and 4K I’d play on PC lol

I'm personally interested in seeing how Square Enix handles "chapter 2" of Final Fantasy Remake.  I considered getting a second hand PS4 so I could play it, but since I'll want to play through the whole saga, I also want to wait until the whole saga is published.  I wonder if the first game will get an "upgrade" for PS5, or if I'm going to have to have 2 consoles.  Oh well.  Hopefully at that time (probably in 2-3 years) a decent PS4 will be cheap.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:16 AM, guitarzombie said:

I def would like the X but I wanna wait to see if there are any issues, or if they can slim line it a bit, like the other generations.  I find it amazing that the entire Xbox library (cept those junk kinect games) are backwards compatible.  

Has anybody verified that yet?   I would keep the one I have if that's the case just to play some Crazy Taxi 3 and some other random Xbox/360 stuff.

24 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Has anybody verified that yet?   I would keep the one I have if that's the case just to play some Crazy Taxi 3 and some other random Xbox/360 stuff.

If it's true, it must be brand new news because up until recently, they had announced that the backwards compatibility was roughly equal to what the Xbox One was able to do, which was about half or less.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

If it's true, it must be brand new news because up until recently, they had announced that the backwards compatibility was roughly equal to what the Xbox One was able to do, which was about half or less.  

That's what I had heard, hence not opening this Taco Bell one yet.

I've been playing on Series X and PS5 for a few days and I can comment on a couple of items.

Series X

• Console itself is large, but quite discreet. It hides itself nicely. Also whisper quiet.
  • OS feels very familiar since the dashboard is unchanged, but everything is now extremely snappy and responsive. This is a big QoL improvement over the One.
  • SSD is super fast and loading is hugely improved on all games, even backwards compatible.
  • Quick resume is amazing and really does get you playing multiple games at the same time.
  • Games like AC: Valhalla and Squadrons run way smoother (close to locked 60fps).
  • New controller has a really nice D-pad and all the bumpy grips feel better.

PS5

• Console is a chonky beast. Very quiet, but also very ugly. Most people will want to hide it. The fins are especially dumb looking and the console is wobbly while horizontal, despite the base.
  • OS is snappy, although some strange choices in layout make it inefficient to get around.
  • Controller is too big (although I'm used to the smaller Xbox controller). My thumbs feel like they really have to reach for buttons and sticks, the grips extend too far down, the touch pad is way too big, and the PS button is very difficult to hit blindly. This is a downgrade from the DS4 for me.
  • Controller haptics are fine, but essentially the same thing as the HD rumble on Switch. They can give you much better directional feedback, but are way overused during Astro's Playroom and start to get annoying (every step makes the controller vibrate).
  • Adaptive triggers are cool, but don't add much to the gameplay. I'm very confused as to why reviewers gushed on and on about them.
  • Astro's Playroom is serviceable for showing off haptics and triggers, but not particularly interesting. I would NOT load it up just to show someone the controller. They would probably not want to play for more than a few minutes. Very wise of Sony to give this away as a pack-in.

Overall, the PS5 feels like more of a generational leap, not because it does anything particularly interesting, but just because it's different than the PS4. The Series X just feels like a bigger, faster Xbox One. Launch lineups are not really exciting for either console and Demon's Souls is the only game that truly stands out visually.

So basically, if you don't seen an exclusive you want to play today, wait until more games come out in 2021 to buy either one. Alternatively, if you just want to play One/PS4 games with better framerates and faster loads, upgrading now is reasonable.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

They tweeted something like after 500k hours of testing, they were able to verify every Xbox game is backwards compatible.  Lemme see if I can find the tweet.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:16 AM, guitarzombie said:

I def would like the X but I wanna wait to see if there are any issues, or if they can slim line it a bit, like the other generations.  I find it amazing that the entire Xbox library (cept those junk kinect games) are backwards compatible.  

5 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Not all games.

Backwards compatibility for Series X covers all Xbox One games (minus Kinect) and any backwards-compatible games that were playable on Xbox One (577 Xbox 360 games and 42 Xbox games).

Backwards compatibility for PS5 covers all PS4 games and no other generations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

They do not expect the backwards compatibility list to expand much beyond its current state, but they will probably add at least a few more titles.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

They tweeted something like after 500k hours of testing, they were able to verify every Xbox game is backwards compatible.  Lemme see if I can find the tweet.

That's the equivalent of working a 40 hour week every week for the next 240 years!!

25 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Not all games.

Backwards compatibility for Series X covers all Xbox One games (minus Kinect) and any backwards-compatible games that were playable on Xbox One (577 Xbox 360 games and 42 Xbox games).

Backwards compatibility for PS5 covers all PS4 games and no other generations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

They do not expect the backwards compatibility list to expand much beyond its current state, but they will probably add at least a few more titles.

Oh thats so unfortunate.  Thank you for the heads up.

I picked up assassins creed Valhalla with the series X, I like it so far although I’m not noticing a huge jump in graphics between this new generation and my retired Xbox one x. I already had 4K @ 60 so I dunno if I got a new tv all the other features would help. It does take time for games to harness the true graphic power of a new system. Or maybe an excuse for me to get a new tv lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I picked up assassins creed Valhalla with the series X, I like it so far although I’m not noticing a huge jump in graphics between this new generation and my retired Xbox one x. I already had 4K @ 60 so I dunno if I got a new tv all the other features would help. It does take time for games to harness the true graphic power of a new system. Or maybe an excuse for me to get a new tv lol

Biggest thing I noticed is the quality of the character models and detail on things like fabrics as well as the complete lack of pop-in. But that's about it. I'm really excited to see the true next gen stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Biggest thing I noticed is the quality of the character models and detail on things like fabrics as well as the complete lack of pop-in. But that's about it. I'm really excited to see the true next gen stuff.

Honestly, if you have Valhalla, the thing I was most impressed about was the way the snow moves around when you run in it during the first part of the game lol

On 11/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, a3quit4s said:

Honestly, if you have Valhalla, the thing I was most impressed about was the way the snow moves around when you run in it during the first part of the game lol

Hahaha. It's the little things in life. The gameplay is also quite fun although not particularly next-gen feeling.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Hahaha. It's the little things in life. The gameplay is also quite fun although not particularly next-gen feeling.

Aside from the next gen lacking I feel like this shouldn’t really even be a part of the assassins creed series. Staying away from spoilers but the whole assassin thing takes a backseat to Viking carnage and stealth is kind of dead at this point 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

Aside from the next gen lacking I feel like this shouldn’t really even be a part of the assassins creed series. Staying away from spoilers but the whole assassin thing takes a backseat to Viking carnage and stealth is kind of dead at this point 

100% agree. I am really missing the stealth aspects at the start of the game.