IGNORED

Kickstarter: Highlighting Present and Future Projects

Aguy

On 9/3/2020 at 6:17 PM, B.A. said:

Yeah permission isn't needed to start a thread.

It was more to see if it would be a waste of my time or if people cared, but to hell with it. I'm young"ish" with a little time to waste so here we go.

Edited by Aguy
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Kickstarter: Projects Past, Present, and Future
Moderator · Posted

It's hard for people to care if you aren't clear what you want the thread to be. You've suggested a thread for people to post their own Kickstarters, for people to share what they've backed, ongoing projects. Is it only for gaming-related Kickstarters, or can authors do their books? What is the criteria, and is this a thread where other people are sharing Kickstarters or are you maintaining a central list and updating it?

EnigMog has a thread that provides updates on homebrew Kickstarters (though he hasn't updated it since April), and the homebrew section generally has new games, allowing devs to provide their own Kickstarter and other progress updates.

Girl Genius - Adventures In Castle Heterodyne

A fabulous Action Adventure game from the studio be Teslagrad, based on the award winning graphic novel series Girl Genius™ by Phil & Kaja Foglio.

KS ends 10/3/20. They are currently at $50K of their $200K goal (25%) with planned releases for PC/Mac/Linux. Their stretch goals include releases for PS4/X1 and they said they are talking to Nintendo to get eShop approval. So far, $60 nets you a physical copy, but it doesn't say if it's PC only, or possibly consoles.

Edited by Aguy
Added link

• The title was changed to Kickstarter: Highlighting Present and Future Projects

Demons Ate My Neighbors! (DAMN!)

Demons terrorize y'alls neighborhood in a funky, manic roguelite shooter! 📼 Exorcise neighbors from hell w/ squirt guns in '91~!

In case you didn't get it, it's an updated version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The KS ends 10/15 and is currently at $20K of their $200K goal. Planned releases are for PC and Nintendo Switch, with stretch goals including X1X/PS5. Digital copies start at $15 and while $55 nets you a case and manual, there's no mention of physical carts. Release is slated for September 2021.

16 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Kind of wish they had stayed with the distinct level design of the original instead of a rogue-lite.

Twin stick shooters in that format can get very "samey-samey" very quickly.

I agree. This isn't a full $60 retail game, I don't expect infinite replayability. For $15, give me some creative level design and gameplay that I can play through 2-3 times (once solo, once or twice co-op) and I'd be happy.

Doodle World

An all new game for the NES. (Demo available)

This one just started and is practically 100% funded already ($4K of $5K). The developer says the game is complete and just needs funds to produce and distribute, so planned released is January next year. The ROM file will be $10 but $35 will get you the game on a grey NES cart, $55 for a boxed copy, and $100 for a limited edition white cart.

Edited by Aguy

There Is No Light – Action RPG in a grim underground world (Demo Available)

Hack and slash your way through the darkness of the Underworld and oppose a dark cult in this non-linear Action-Adventure RPG

This one just hit it's $30K with 23 days to go. It's planned release is next August for PS,Xbox, NS, and Steam. The game starts at $25 with no mentioned physical release.

Jessie Jaeger in Cleopatra's Curse (Demo Available)

A new adventure for the Turbografx-16 and Sega Genesis consoles! Physical copies available.

This game still had 26 days to go but is just a couple hundred dollars away from it's funding goal. A ROM will run your $15 and physical copies start at $39 for a TurboGrafx Super CD and $44 for a Genesis cart. The game is mostly complete and ready to go into production once the KS finished up. Estimated delivery is December of his year.

Lonesome Village | Cute puzzle-filled life simulator (Demo Available)

Puzzle-solving fantasy adventure with social simulation

It got fully funded in 24 hours and still has 3 weeks to go. It's coming out for PC and Switch next October. The creator says the game is 1/3 complete and the higher rewards include physical goodies (which is worrisome for a first time kickstarter), but considering there's a demo and TONS of detailed info and gameplay clips on the kickstarter page, this one looks like a winner.

• 11 months later...

This project based in London still has 8 days to go but has raised almost 10X the initial goal of $24,000. Slated to release December 2022, you can get the GBA ROM and Steam code for $25, or you the physical release for the GBA with box and manual for $61. The NSW version is expected to release December 2023 for $25 digital or $49 physical. For $61, you can get the physical release for the GBA with box and manual.

Demo available here: https://hotpengu.itch.io/goodboy-galaxy-demo

Edited by Aguy

Just now, Code Monkey said:

Kickstarter is dead to me. Still waiting on games I backed 6 years ago, I'll never back another Kickstarter game. 

Same with a small exception.  I will back a game if it's something I truly believe in and there is a chance the game won't happen without my support.  I will happily pay money and wait in that situation.  However, in the past, the games I've supported were all games that would have been developed even without the money from crowdfunding (Bloodstained, Justice Beaver).  In this case, all I did was give them an unsecured pre-order.  At the time, I didn't have an issue with it, but looking back on it, it's something I won't do again.  Companies or groups (even small ones) with the means to develop their own games shouldn't use crowdfunding to raise funds.  

I've always felt that about KS and the others like @Code Monkey said there, it has been dead to me ever since I saw the first scam of a post there I was suspicious, but when others opened up where there was no money back guarantee with people losing their shit over at indiegogo and others it looked like some pyramid scheme level sheistiness ot me so I have refused to back anything, ever.  I'll read, watch, hope for the best but paying to get something maybe a promised 1-2 years out, and worse if it delays going 5+ years...screw that.  I'm not some pre-investment ATM for potential scammers.

I'd love to get that Goodboy Galaxy game on GBA, but holy crap 2023?  Absolutely NOT.