IGNORED

Hurricane Laura

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Do they have basements in Louisiana?   I assumed it was like Florida where there aren't any.

Doubtful. Basements are pretty unheard of just like you said in that entire part of the US. 

Even here in MA/NH i am hesitant to have a basement gameroom. 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Magus said:

Doubtful. Basements are pretty unheard of just like you said in that entire part of the US. 

Even here in MA/NH i am hesitant to have a basement gameroom. 

I'll be the first to tell you not to do it unless you have everything on risers and in bins!   But I believe you already had to deal with flooding at one of your places anyway 😞

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'll be the first to tell you not to do it unless you have everything on risers and in bins!   But I believe you already had to deal with flooding at one of your places anyway 😞

Yeah in my childhood home, (East Boston, MA) i lived maybe 40-50 yards from the ocean in a flood zone. One year we got 3.5 ft of water. And multiple other times we got 6-12 inches. It sucked, but luckily most of my stuff was kept high up. 

I just bought a new townhouse in Derry, NH, and it has what appears to be a very dry basement, not on a hill, not in a flood area, and nowhere near water, and as a sump pump. But even then i am still hesitant. At the very least, everything will be kept well off the floor just in case. 

I definitely feel for anyone in the radius of storms like this though. Everything can be gone in an instant, and not just your collection. Hope everyone stays safe.

Edited by Magus

9 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Nobody in that part of the country should have a basement gameroom, or a finished basement at all.

Well their finished basement would indeed be finished alright 😞 

Hopefully most were smart and got out while the gettng was good.  As opposed to the ones who stayed thinking "God's gonna take care of me!" 😛 

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I remember one dude on NintendoAge nearly lost his collection to a tornado, but he managed to bag it up in the aftermath and get it all cleaned.

I feel like someone here posted pictures of a flooded basement, but not much was lost because they had most of the collection up off the floor.

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, avatar! said:

I've often wondered how many video games, rare books, art... things of those nature are lost during such events?

At any rate, I hope those affected stay safe, this is going to be bad.

Lots of original video game art was lost in a train derailment some years ago.

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I feel like someone here posted pictures of a flooded basement, but not much was lost because they had most of the collection up off the floor.

There's been several of us.  I recall somebody had a burst pipe, VGD had some kind of sewer backup, I know I've had close to ten basement floods since I've been here.   All my stuff is in bins now (and I learned about having heavy bins on the bottom so they don't gain buoyancy) so if anything else were to happen it's a matter of opening the basement drain and running the dehumidifier.

11 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Do they have basements in Louisiana?   I assumed it was like Florida where there aren't any.

I'd bet that some older houses have coal basements or root cellars, and I wouldn't be surprised if some misguided people over the years have either finished them or used them as storage space.

I live in coastal VA, and my house had a "basement" (really an unfinished coal pit for the original furnace the house had in the 1920's) until I filled it in to crawl-level to cut down the cost of my flood insurance premiums.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were houses in that region that were the same way, despite the obvious risks.

17 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I'm not familiar with this. Can someone point me to the event? 

I believe they are referring to the flood that artist Greg Martin had many years ago. Lots of original artwork was either completely ruined or damaged.

Edit- Nvm i saw the train comment. Which IIRC was a UPS train derailment where lots of art was also lost. 

Edited by Magus

5 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Lots of original video game art was lost in a train derailment some years ago.

There's been several of us.  I recall somebody had a burst pipe, VGD had some kind of sewer backup, I know I've had close to ten basement floods since I've been here.   All my stuff is in bins now (and I learned about having heavy bins on the bottom so they don't gain buoyancy) so if anything else were to happen it's a matter of opening the basement drain and running the dehumidifier.

I almost had a burst pipe take out my stuff. The water was literally a foot away from the closet.

51 minutes ago, Magus said:

I believe they are referring to the flood that artist Greg Martin had many years ago. Lots of original artwork was either completely ruined or damaged.

Edit- Nvm i saw the train comment. Which IIRC was a UPS train derailment where lots of art was also lost. 

Yeah, there was a train derailment that evidently lost an entire box-car of artwork.