IGNORED

Do you GOG? Some love for Good Old Games.

RH

Do you buy from GoG?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy from GoG?

• I like to buy old games.
    • I like to buy mostly new games.
    • I buy everything I can from them, new or old.
    • I have no desire to use there service.
    • This is the first I've heard of this site.

I'm tend to like to collect and have physical copies for any game I play, but I must admit I love GoG.com, and I've been a customer since their owning.  I tend to avoid collecting to many PC games because it can be a bit of a pain getting them to run on modern hardware, depending on the title.  Of course you can download free versions of games and there's solutions for all of them, so some might ask what's the point but, personally, I like knowing that if I want to download and play a 25 year old PC game, some proceeds go back to the content creator.

Of course, GoG is also a bit like Steam but is "DRM Free".  That's cool, but I really don't care about new games.  It's all about the old ones for me.

So, do you guys use GoG?  Thoughts, and how big is your library?  I tend to throw a bunch of games into my wishlist and I'll pick them up when they are finally 90% discounted or less.  I have around 35 games and I doubt I've even paid $100.

So, do you GoG?

• Like 1

I rarely buy (or play) PC games as it is,, but if I do it has to be DRM free since I play most things on an older computer that does not go online. GOG is great for that. I won't do Steam at all for that reason. I even had to buy a PC game off Amazon once since their version was DRM free while Steam's was not (GOG didn't have it). There are too many games to play as it is, I can be picky and not really miss out.

I do enjoy GOG's bi-daily emails. I'll look through them and at least see what is going on, even if I never buy anything. Keeps me up on the PC gaming scene (maybe?).

6 minutes ago, SoleGoose said:

I rarely buy (or play) PC games as it is,, but if I do it has to be DRM free since I play most things on an older computer that does not go online. GOG is great for that. I won't do Steam at all for that reason. I even had to buy a PC game off Amazon once since their version was DRM free while Steam's was not (GOG didn't have it). There are too many games to play as it is, I can be picky and not really miss out.

I do enjoy GOG's bi-daily emails. I'll look through them and at least see what is going on, even if I never buy anything. Keeps me up on the PC gaming scene (maybe?).

I understand that.  Not quite related, but if you ever have a desire to play the classic Daggerfall, you can't directly buy it but buy anything by Betheseda and they include that, and one other Elder Scrolls game for free.

Under one of there Bethesda deals, I bought the cheapest game offered ($1.99, I think) and was able to finally check out Daggerfall.  The other games were just a bonus.

I don't know about other "hidden" titles, but I'm sure there are others like that as well.

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I understand that.  Not quite related, but if you ever have a desire to play the classic Daggerfall, you can't directly buy it but buy anything by Betheseda and they include that, and one other Elder Scrolls game for free.

Under one of there Bethesda deals, I bought the cheapest game offered ($1.99, I think) and was able to finally check out Daggerfall.  The other games were just a bonus.

I don't know about other "hidden" titles, but I'm sure there are others like that as well.

I usually go on there to find some weird or obscure game, classics or indies. I haven't played a mainstream PC game since KoToR in '03 since I don't like gaming on a PC. Every once in a great while there is something that I want to see, usually to study something specific in it.

I like them for the fact that, new or old, they put out copies that are DRM/copy protection free, meaning that when I buy something and keep a local backup copy, I don't have to worry about them going belly up and never being able to enjoy it again.  I have bought a decent number of things on Steam, but they're mostly new, multi-player affairs that I picked up specifically to play with friends/family and unavailable elsewhere (on GoG, etc.).  The fact that they give away copies of paid games randomly doesn't hurt in the least as well!

GOG does tend to make me feel like I need to get rid of all fo these PC discs that I've picked up over the last decade. If I ever did want to play any of them, I imagine that a digital deal would be easier than trying to load a disc. Then again, they're not worth much, so I guess I'll keep them and maybe play them.

What type of setup do you all use for older PC games? In my held I see 90's era PC desks and high backed office chairs. This is probably why I don't play PC games.

I'm buying more from them lately.  Bloodstained and the new Yooka Laylee were both bought through them.  Cyberpunk will be as well.  I'm probably going to start holding off on some titles until they hit GOG.  It may take a few years but I have a backlog and the sales are worth it.

Gog Galaxy 2.0 is great.  It's the best PC launcher I have used.  It's actually a game launcher instead of a storefront that happens to launch games too.  Sleek and intuative.

Edited by zeppelin03

On 10/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, RH said:

Daggerfall and Arena are free on Bethesda’s website. They even come with a readme on how to get them to work in Dosbox. I have been playing Daggerfall Unity the past few months, it is a more user friendly way to play. 

Edited by themisfit138

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, themisfit138 said:

Daggerfall and Arena are free on Bethesda’s website. They even come with a readme on how to get them to work in Dosbox. 

That said, you don't need to configure anything manually with GOG. Frankly worth the 2 bucks IMO. Dosbox is nice and all but making any single game work is a nightmare. 

I definitely buy old stuff from GOG, even when it might be "free" elsewhere, just for the convenience of having it preconfigured as well as being a convenient repository of all of the printed materials that came with a game.

New stuff, I don't really care too much about the DRM on Steam, and I really like the flexibility of my Steam controller, so I'll take advantage of their deals vs GOG.

If there was a frictionless way to use my Steam controller with GOG, then it might be a different story.