IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Driftwood already got baited into espousing his horrible views on the situation, so yes we should let him just be quiet now.

As a public service, future posters who don't wanna get "shot down by the mods" can re-route all their pro-forced birth rhetoric to my inbox.  I've got time and am happy to have a convo about why having basic empathy is something you should do.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted

It doesn't have to.  There are several segments of conversation in here that are completely fine, and actually provide some interesting insight.  What it takes, is for *everyone* who contributes here, to really take to heart what gloves and I (and others) have shared about keeping out personal attacks.

We are a broad, diverse community, and we have people in this community on all sides of any issue.  We have republicans, democrats, independents, people who don't neatly fit into any of those.  We have people who are pro-life and people who are pro-choice.  We have conservatives, liberals, and everything in between.  This is how life works and how society works - we have to learn how to work together and get along - EVEN IF WE DISAGREE on items (which we do, and we will).

Direct attacks, trolling, and baiting, regardless of what political leaning, is hurtful and negative, and it stops now.  We'll work to make sure we address anyone engaging in such behavior, in a fair and equitable way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Driftwood said:

This thread only festers animosity

-Point proven-

Congrats Newton.  You solved the internet.  The real thing here is that in time no one is going to care about your part in this interaction as much as you will.  You say you're pro-forced birth - for whatever reason, while everyone else here is saying wtf at this new development - that's on you.  An embarrassing position to take.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, spacepup said:

In the interest of being openly fair to all parties here, I'll share that this does not help the situation

It helped my situation, it brought me joy, are my feelings not valid?

In all seriousness, I get it. The main reason I engage in these threads are a) because I am passionate about what I believe and b) it is nice to know who to avoid doing business with on this site. I don't need a deal so badly that I'm going to do a trade with someone who's sexist, racist, transphobic, etc. (not to name anyone specifically, I mean in general, since that get this thread axed). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Someone who disagrees with you on a simple court ruling is “ sexist, racist, transphobic“

again

-THIS THREAD ONLY FOSTERS ANIMOSITY-

Not what I said at all. Stop twisting my words. I'm not referring to your little trolling today. Ever since this board started there have been threads where people have outed themselves as what I mentioned. That's not my fault. 

But, to be clear, people who do support this court ruling are against women's rights, they are anti-woman, against freedom, and they are sexist traitors who should be ashamed of themselves. If the shoe fits, that's your problem.

4 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

I said it was always a states rights issue. You apparently see what you want to see.

You barely said anything in every post from today, there isn't much info to draw on, and you're clearly arguing in bad faith in favour of a horrible horrible thing.

Now you're using all the classic tactics to deny that you're doing it.  Painting it like you only said this and that you were only arguing about one strong clear conviction.  On and on.

You won't get one past me, I grew up around rampant manipulation tactics.  It's a blight on everybody.  It makes life suck.  And it's why people are getting tired of being asked to "see both sides" - that's because it's junk when people argue in bad faith, it's not a real debate, it's a troll's trap.

• Like 2

Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

Not what I said at all. Stop twisting my words. I'm not referring to your little trolling today. Ever since this board started there have been threads where people have outed themselves as what I mentioned. That's not my fault. 

But, to be clear, people who do support this court ruling are against women's rights, they are anti-woman, against freedom, and they are sexist traitors who should be ashamed of themselves. If the shoe fits, that's your problem.

That’s your opinion... wrong, but it is only your opinion

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm totally with this.  If the shoe fits, take it the hell off!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

You barely said anything in every post from today, there isn't much info to draw on, and you're clearly arguing in bad faith in favour of a horrible horrible thing.

Now you're using all the classic tactics to deny that you're doing it.  Painting it like you only said this and that you were only arguing about one strong clear conviction.  On and on.

You won't get one past me, I grew up around rampant manipulation tactics.  It's a blight on everybody.  It makes life suck.  And it's why people are getting tired of being asked to "see both sides" - that's because it's junk when people argue in bad faith, it's not a real debate, it's a troll's trap.

Go back, read all my posts again...

i only ever said it was a states rights issue.

the less power we give to the federal govt. the better!

• Disagree 1

This was in your first post:

1 minute ago, Driftwood said:

#why are democrats so fucking stupid

You're telling me that isn't trolling?

Had you actually stated that you think it was a states rights issue, you might have had some disagreement, but you came out swinging and now are crying foul because some people swung back.

• Thanks 1

Go back, read all my posts again...

the less power we give to the federal govt. the better!

Honestly I am still hoping that it REALLY is what you are concerned about but don't you see how it's still too simplistic a viewpoint?  If your argument is resting on the fact that the federal government should have less power than that's just a lot of hoops to jump through to relate to this issue.  Don't you see that this is already having bad results in a lot of places?  This is a really bad thing man

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

This was in your first post:

You're telling me that isn't trolling?

Had you actually stated that you think it was a states rights issue, you might have had some disagreement, but you came out swinging and now are crying foul because some people swung back.

In response to a statement claiming  “republicans hate all children”

which the mods should have had the back bone to stand against.

Edited by Driftwood
Misplaced letter
  • Eyeroll 1

In response to a statement claiming  “republicans hate all children”

which the mods should have had the back one to stand against.

So, instead of a "hey, I don't think that's a fair characterization and here's why", you double down on it.

And then try to say, "hey, I was just saying it was states rights, that's all."

Come on, you wanted to spout off and trigger people when emotions were high. Just admit it.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

So, instead of a "hey, I don't think that's a fair characterization and here's why", you double down on it.

And then try to say, "hey, I was just saying it was this."

Come on, you wanted to spout off and trigger people. Just admit it.

Just a little,

again democrats are easily led by the nose.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

And then try to say, "hey, I was just saying it was this."

Come on, you wanted to spout off and trigger people. Just admit it.

He'd rather just drop eyerolls on everyone.  It's an effective tactic because then you don't have to own your words.  I miss the old trolls on NA...

Edited by Krunch
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This Supreme Court ruling would have never happened if the court had a majority of women. I personally don't understand how someone can take a look at the history and the facts, and sill think that abortion should be outlawed or at any rate very limited. Could you imagine if it were men who got pregnant? Abortion would be so commonplace today that there would be drive thrus!

I think everyone should listen to this NPR podcast on the history of abortion in the USA.

For much of US history, abortion was a common practice that was not vilified.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/1099795225/before-roe-the-physicians-crusade

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1