IGNORED

What were the goofy/fantastic Pokemon rumors you heard as a kid?

atlasind

I remember a ton of rumors (read: lies) about Pokemon in those heady, innocent days. For example, my friends and I were convinced that there was something called the Mist Stone that could evolve any pokemon and it caused us to group up on the playground and scour the entire game with the item finder with everyone having designated search areas. We were total losers. 

What were some of the weirdo rumors you guys heard?

Never was a kid when it came out, think I was 18 or 19. 😉  I do remember as Red/Blue arrived some would rattle on about secret this and that since the internet was in its infancy so it was easy to trick and manipulate stuff.  Some would I recall try and make people think that it would better line up with the cartoon, team rocket and all that.  Odds are something though came out of china about YELLOW and that caused the confusion/root of it, since that was mirrored to match season 1 of the cartoon.

Let's see

There was the moving the truck with Strength in Red and Blue to get mew. 

100 launches of the space ship in Ruby and Sapphire led to you being able to battle and catch deoxys in space. 

There was something else about getting all the different colored trainer cards in Ruby and Sapphire but I can't remember what the rumor was. 

One my friends and I believed was this one. Cutting your link cable in Red and Blue during a trade in real life would let the Pokemon escape and come into our world. 

Can't remember any other ones. Most of the other rumors turned out to actually be true.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Makar said:

Let's see

There was the moving the truck with Strength in Red and Blue to get mew. 

100 launches of the space ship in Ruby and Sapphire led to you being able to battle and catch deoxys in space. 

There was something else about getting all the different colored trainer cards in Ruby and Sapphire but I can't remember what the rumor was. 

One my friends and I believed was this one. Cutting your link cable in Red and Blue during a trade in real life would let the Pokemon escape and come into our world. 

Can't remember any other ones. Most of the other rumors turned out to actually be true.

LOL cutting the link cable....that's hilarious. Tangentially, even as dumb kids we discovered that if we pulled the cable out at the right time during a trade, the pokemon would duplicate so which made getting starters super easy.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Never was a kid when it came out, think I was 18 or 19. 😉  I do remember as Red/Blue arrived some would rattle on about secret this and that since the internet was in its infancy so it was easy to trick and manipulate stuff.  Some would I recall try and make people think that it would better line up with the cartoon, team rocket and all that.  Odds are something though came out of china about YELLOW and that caused the confusion/root of it, since that was mirrored to match season 1 of the cartoon.

I seem to recall the yellow leaks f'd everything up. Someone posted a picture of a Marill in a magazine and all of the sudden every kid in America was convinced that "pikablu" was the next evolution of pikachu and was hiding in the middle of the ocean in red/blue. The fact that a picture of a magazine existed convinced me that it was 100% real and I desperately wanted to be the first at my school with it.

I already mentioned the most famous mew glitch in the other thread.

But gold and silver had a similar rumor. Kids were convinced that the wooden shrine in Ilex forest held Celebi and there was a way to get him with a certain item,move, or button input

Didyouknowgaming has an entire running series on these. It's a good watch. 

Edited by Magus

2 hours ago, atlasind said:

LOL cutting the link cable....that's hilarious. Tangentially, even as dumb kids we discovered that if we pulled the cable out at the right time during a trade, the pokemon would duplicate so which made getting starters super easy.

Lol yea it was because when you trade, they show an image of the Pokemon as it goes through the link cable as if it is actually physically passing through it (technically I guess it was physically going through it in a way). We never were dumb enough to actually cut a link cable but we did think it could release a Charizard into our world. The easiest cloning "glitch" is the one in emerald which I think they put there in purpose knowing you could trade your Pokemon over to 4th gen games in the future but not be able to trade back. 

2 hours ago, Magus said:

I already mentioned the most famous mew glitch in the other thread.

But gold and silver had a similar rumor. Kids were convinced that the wooden shrine in Ilex forest held mew and there was a way to get him with a certain item,move, or button input

Didyouknowgaming has an entire running series on these. It's a good watch. 

That was to get Celebi right? I vaguely remember that one. Something involving catching all the unowns.

5 minutes ago, Makar said:

Lol yea it was because when you trade, they show an image of the Pokemon as it goes through the link cable as if it is actually physically passing through it (technically I guess it was physically going through it in a way). We never were dumb enough to actually cut a link cable but we did think it could release a Charizard into our world. The easiest cloning "glitch" is the one in emerald which I think they put there in purpose knowing you could trade your Pokemon over to 4th gen games in the future but not be able to trade back. 

That was to get Celebi right? I vaguely remember that one. Something involving catching all the unowns.

Yup i meant to write Celebi not Mew. And yes that was one of the rumors! These were both fun and disappointing. 

Edited by Magus

1 minute ago, Magus said:

Yup i meant to write Celebi not Mew. And yes that was one of the rumors! These were both fun and disappointing. 

They were all disappointing. The space launch one was probably the most disappointing. I actually did get to 100 launches and was so excited because I had the jirachi bonus disk so the only Pokemon I didn't have in Ruby was deoxys. I tried everything but nothing worked. No deoxys for me 😞

I heard the space launch rumor with both Jirachi and Deoxys. Oddly never both at the same time. The launches are actually just the number of weeks that have passed since the game was started.

There is some truth to the Celebi shrine rumor as it was used for a event Celebi encounter in Crystal. However the event item was only released in Japan and later worldwide with the VC re-releases.

Another widespread rumor was that there was a 1 in 268,435,456 chance of encountering Celebi on route 123 in Ruby/Sapphire. Serebii even addressed the rumor on his site: https://www.serebii.net/games/celebi.shtml

Others that I heard were that Unown evolves into a random legendary at level 40 and that shiny Charizard is Fire/Flying/Dark type. Those were so easily disprovable that I'm not surprised they didn't spread.

Edited by sceptios

• 3 months later...

I totally forgot about Pikablu, makes me feel old! Internet in my town used to be so expensive. I remember paying like $7.50 for 30 minutes at the only cyber cafe. I don't know if the old sites still exist through Wayback, but I searched Webcrawler/Angelfire and printed the sites out to view at home. 

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Holding down and B would increase the chances of a successful catch. In fact I still do it out of habbit

I still do the same thing and hold A after selecting an attack to increase the chance for a critical hit. Been doing it since R/B and still with S/S.

Not a pokemon guy, but with homebrewing and ROM hacking being big enough that there are plenty of people to dig into these games, I'm a bit surprised that not enough people have dug into the bytecode to see if there are any legitimacy to these rumors.

Alas, on very rare occasions, sometimes rumors are proven to be true 20 years later, or new easter eggs are discovered.  Makes you wonder if there's a chance that at least one or two of these might be legit.  Probably not but a kid can dream.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jeevan said:

Supper Mario Broth on Twitter: "In 2000, the official Nintendo of America  site featured an April Fools' Day article claiming that Lickitung can  evolve into Luigi in Pokémon Red and Blue by

Anybody remember Luigi being in pokemon?  Lol

Is Mario canonically Italian?? I mean, I would’ve thought he’s from the Mushroom Kingdom. Did he immigrate? What is that process like? We saw him as a baby in Yoshi’s Island though. Are his ancestors Italian?