IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2019 -- 219/497

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, we just don't list them all out because it would make the post twice as big, and I believe most folks don't have a lot of JPN games, and many JPN games are somewhat inaccessible to the average non-Japanese speaker. But I'll add a line for any JPN game that gets beaten.

Update on Hunchback: I got a passcode for Djali Bowling (verrrry easy to get all strikes) and did a challenge where I was supposed to get 32 points in 6 frames. I failed, tried again, and now it was 35 points in 6 frames. Failed again, then succeeded at getting 32. Got the same Congratulations screen as Picture Puzzle. I selected NO to doing another challenge, and I got a screen that said "You have completed 1 of 3 challenges." Ok, so then I typed in my Picture Puzzle passcode, completed that challenge again, selected NO, then got "You have completed 1 of 2 challenges." Soo, does each game have its own set of challenges to complete? Perhaps the different numbers of points in Djali Bowling all need to be completed? Still messing about.

While playing Chiseler, I uncovered a wheel icon that took me straight to the Funfair, and it gave me a challenge for Upsy Daisy. I won the challenge and it gave me the same old Congratulations screen, then put me back to my Chiseler game. So I don't think that had anything to do with my overall Funfair progress.

I'm enjoying the game though, more depth than I expected. I got really far in Catch the Fool but not far enough, died because of RNG.

Edit: ok, I went into Picture Puzzle again and solved the challenge on the first try. The exact verbiage was "You have completed 1 challenge out of 1." So it actually looks more like a reminder of how many tries it took to do the challenge. I did the Catch the Fool challenge 5 times in a row without failing, and I got "You have completed 5 challenges out of 5."

Edited by Splain

30 minutes ago, Red said:

What did you think of The Getaway?  It doesn't seem very well liked.  When I first played it, I didn't like it either, but I gave it another chance last week while testing games for the contest.  At first, I still didn't like it, but I kept playing and it started to grow on me.  I wouldn't say it's a great pinball game, but it's certainly playable.

I mean I can see why NOW people would hate on it, you have the Pinball Arcade choice if someone got it before the new owners of Williams made that huge mistake, or you just use the ripped APKs for Android as it's right.  This game is right too, with compromises obviously many.  The ball physics are pretty solid, especially for that time frame/system.  The table is intact with all the challenging moves and ramps, but given the monochrome setup lots of detail is gone, audio is minimal with no voices, and the multiple ramps only pop into view if a ball hits them to handle the complexity.  Core mechanics, it's there, has the multiball, the DMD mini games, the skill shots and the rest are all there.  It's nice it's made on 5 ball as it was in the day, but odd there are no options to do less or change anything else.  I'd call it as far as a single table goes one of the best/better on the handheld, but has nothing on the party stuff like Kirby's Pinball Land.

Editorials Team · Posted

Ok, Hunchback of Notre Dame is done. I've now gotten a Funfair passcode from all 5 minigames, and beaten the corresponding challenges in the Funfair (all within the same play session.) I didn't see any special ending screen or anything, so unless the manual says otherwise, I'm calling this one beaten.

Overall it's really not a bad game. Not "phoned in" like I expected from a Disney movie game. Chiseler even has its own standalone password system, and Catch the Fool plays like one of the modern Game and Watch games from G&W Gallery. (I mean that in a good way heh) The Funfair is an interesting meta-game. I beat Casper for the first time last week (it was already beaten for the thread) which attempts a similar mini-game collection idea. Night and day. I never want to play Casper again, while I'd be fine coming back to Hunchback. It's not 100% polished, but some parts are really pretty good, like the fluid animations in Catch the Fool.

Thanks for the manual info Red.

3 hours ago, Splain said:

Ok, Hunchback of Notre Dame is done. I've now gotten a Funfair passcode from all 5 minigames, and beaten the corresponding challenges in the Funfair (all within the same play session.) I didn't see any special ending screen or anything, so unless the manual says otherwise, I'm calling this one beaten.

Overall it's really not a bad game. Not "phoned in" like I expected from a Disney movie game. Chiseler even has its own standalone password system, and Catch the Fool plays like one of the modern Game and Watch games from G&W Gallery. (I mean that in a good way heh) The Funfair is an interesting meta-game. I beat Casper for the first time last week (it was already beaten for the thread) which attempts a similar mini-game collection idea. Night and day. I never want to play Casper again, while I'd be fine coming back to Hunchback. It's not 100% polished, but some parts are really pretty good, like the fluid animations in Catch the Fool.

Thanks for the manual info Red.

No problem.  Unless you feel the need to complete every stage of Chiseler and Catch the Fool, completing the Funfair should be enough.  Here's exactly what the manual says about it:

"If you attain a ticket for one event, you will only be allowed to compete in that event in the Funfair.  In order to play the wheel of fortune in full, you will have to collect a ticket for all events in one play session!  'Tis truly something to aspire to!  Good luck, my friend!"

I couldn't really get into the game.  Chiseler seemed to be a competent enough breakout clone, but I'm not really into those kind of games, so it didn't hold my interest very long.  Bowling took maybe a minute or two to master and I didn't find the other 3 very interesting either.  I would agree there was a decent amount of effort put into it though.  I played it on Super Game Boy and they made good use of the color in the menus and bowling game.

I wound up beating a bunch of games while looking for good ones for the contest.  While I'm not done yet, here are the ones I finished so far that haven't been beaten yet:

Dead Heat Scramble
Maru's Mission
Sneaky Snakes
Trax

I think you could count Serpent as done too.  You have the win condition as beat the CPU in all 4 modes.  There are only 2 modes with 4 levels of difficulty in each.  I beat both modes on the highest difficulty.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, Red said:

"If you attain a ticket for one event, you will only be allowed to compete in that event in the Funfair.  In order to play the wheel of fortune in full, you will have to collect a ticket for all events in one play session!  'Tis truly something to aspire to!  Good luck, my friend!"

Huh. You know, I had done the sliding puzzle and the bowling game on my actual GB, then entered the passcodes on an emulator on my computer to do the challenges, assuming that would "count." Then I got the other 3 in the emulator. When I got the Chiseler passcode, which was the last of the 5, it stopped on Catch the Fool twice and Upsy Daisy twice before finally landing on Chiseler. I'll have to beat those 2 on the emulator to see if something different happens. Luckily those are the 2 easiest ones. I'll also go ahead and push through Chiseler to see if something happens.

And you're right about Serpent. That must have been one of the games I fired up real fast to get a quick idea of how to beat it. Shrug. Can't wait for the GB contest!

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2019 -- 204/497

Took care of Tennis on Level 4 (the highest difficulty):

Iols9nl.jpg

It took me about 5-10 minutes to get the timing back on serve, and another 20 to get the hang of the return game. The CPU's overhead lobs are nearly unreturnable as far as I can tell, so the trick is to keep him from triggering them in the first place. On serve that means serving wide and slow and hanging back until the CPU's about to hit the ball, and only then rush the net and hit a 1-2 punch to the open court.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 1

Not a victory post, but a clarification post:

On 10/24/2019 at 2:23 PM, Splain said:

Nobunaga's Ambition      Select any daimyo on any difficulty and try to find an ending??

From beating Nobunaga's Ambition in 2016, I can confirm that this is basically what you do: pick a daimyo, kill everyone else, get the ending. Difficulty doesn't matter or change anything, which is pretty standard for Koei.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Thanks 1

I've beaten the game before, but had forgotten how aggravating Bart vs. the Juggernauts can be. I got to the end of the game, successfully completed every event, and still didn't have enough cash to win the game! I guess you have to be near-perfect -- either that, or I'm forgetting some extra wrinkle in the gameplay to score a bit more. Either way, I'll probably knock it out within the next couple days.

Edited by bronzeshield

Editorials Team · Posted

Thanks bronze. I still have 2 blanks in the USA requirements column, I'll plan on filling those out tonight.

I went ahead and "unlocked" all 5 events in the Hunchback funfair, all that happens is the wheel can land on any event now. There doesn't seem to be anything else special about it, no matter how many challenges I complete. Still working on passing the Chiseler levels; they get really tough.

Finished Dig-Dug the other day, New Dig-Dug was a contest of patience more than anything. I had to do a lot of retries to clear levels, but in the end, 40 levels with 4 more-or-less identical boss fights wasn't too bad at all.

I'm trying to decide what to move to next, maybe I'll try again to beat the Bomberman final boss, or I'll go back to Ninja Boy 2, or pick up Konami's Ultra Golf. Hard to say for now.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2019 -- 207/497
Editorials Team · Posted

Ok, Super Breakout. It shows you credits when you start the game up, because there's no end to any of the modes. The manual doesn't hint at anything, and the only longplay I found online just plays each mode for a while and then quits. There aren't even high score tables. I was going to say that the requirement should be to complete 1 level in each mode, but it actually looks like the block patterns in the regular mode loop after level 8. Not that the patterns have any apparent effect on the game, but it's something, I guess. That's at least harder than playing 1 level on all modes. So I'll put that as the requirement, and mark it beaten.

Quarterback Club 2 is... weird. It's nothing like Quarterback club 1, which is a series of quarterback-related minigames, although when you fire it up, the splash screen and title screen just say Quarterback Club, no "2" to be found anywhere. You pick a team and a couple settings, and then it throws you straight into a game. When you beat the game on either difficulty, it just tells you the game is over and dumps you back to the title screen. Really weird, I wonder what the backstory is on that game, seems like it could have used a little more polish for a game that had NFL licensing.

You want to talk about games that could have used more polish given the NFL license, I think Konami's NFL Football is possibly a bigger contender, just because that game is probably one of the more painful football games I've ever played. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard that it had been rushed for release. If I recall correctly, it even mixes up Cleveland and Cincinnati on the US map.

Bionic Battler is done. There's no win screen, just five levels of different difficulty, and you get "rewarded" with money that doesn't actually do anything and doesn't really accrue anywhere. Attached is a screen of the final win screen for Level 5.

Themost important thing to do with this game is just be slow and methodical. The manual also soundly advises you to 1) hit and run, and 2) charge the B-button missile shot up as you move. I will add to it that the enemy robots seem to have patterns for their movement, if you never engage them (which seems to happen if you directly interrupt their movement path) then they shouldn't ever give you a huge amount of trouble. Just pull back the instant they begin to shoot or punch you, however, or you will likely take too much damage from sitting in their shooting zone.

I didn't notice, but as of Dig-Dug, that makes 40 games for me. I told myself many months ago it would be great to hit 50 games, but I don't think it will happen at this rate. We'll see how far I can get.

bgb00035.bmp

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2019 -- 209/497

Another clear, finally beat Bomberman GB. The final boss has three phases and doesn't really allow for error, but with practice, I found a tactic to beat each one, and was rewarded with the story of how bomberman went through all this trouble, found a ring, and then said "nah, let's leave it behind". The credits scroll was lengthy, a poignant reminder that even seemingly simple GB games required a lot of effort from many people to be created.

Hopefully another fun game will be had soon, I'm not sure what but I've got enough in progress that it shouldn't be hard 😂

bgb00039.bmp

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I never could get past the final boss in Bomberman GB. Great game though.

I've been playing through Great Greed again. Such a weird game, but I love it. There's a part where you kind of teleport randomly around a basement area, looking for a scroll. I've played through this game a handful of times, but I always get lost there. I just stumble around until I find the scroll, I could never tell you how I did it.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2019 -- 210/497

Maybe I should write a short guide on how I beat it, if it would please the members to know the tricks I used.

Started this past weekend, I'm about halfway through A-Mazing Tater. it's a surprisingly fun game, I didn't think I'd like it as it gave me lolo vibes, and no offense to LoLo Lords out there, but it just wasn't my game. Despite that, this one is really entertaining. I think I might also try and play through Cool Ball as well, it seems interesting. Hold me accountable though, I really do feel like I should beat Cyraid and Alfred Chicken this year, so please pester me about it in mid/late December if I haven't already cleared them. 😄

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, koifish said:

Hold me accountable though, I really do feel like I should beat Cyraid and Alfred Chicken this year, so please pester me about it in mid/late December if I haven't already cleared them. 😄

Will do, lol

2 hours ago, RH said:

So, wait a minute. My complete Game Boy game list has around 510 games. Not 100% sure what the specific number is but it was more than 497, and it didn't include the Wisdom Tree titles.

Were any games omitted from the list?

Yes, the OP says which games were omitted.

5 minutes ago, Splain said:

You should be in here beating these games with us @RH. I know you have them 😄

Yeah, I need to but I don't have the time. I've not been playing a lot of games lately.  Last real game night I had, I fired up Outrun for the Genesis completion list, and then went over to Sonic 2 because I didn't do as well as I'd hoped.

I want to join, but I've just not had time in weeks to set down with a good game and try to run through it. 😞

Yeah, I'm about ready to grab a screen capture of that sun and use it as a profile icon.

It's taking me a solid amount of time to solve each puzzle now, but I'm almost to the last set in Amazing Tater. I've also picked up Ultra Golf and am practicing again to clear those holes (honestly I find it a much easier game so far than Nintendo's Golf) and hopefully I can beat that game before too long.