IGNORED

Best place to preorder new games?

Administrator · Posted

Amazon frickin' sucks I'm sick of this. Every time I preorder a game through Amazon I get it like 5 days after release. How the fuck is it that I can get a new vacuum TOMORROW if I order tonight at 10pm, but I preorder Paper Mario IN MAY and I don't get it on release? 

image.png

*ahem*

Where do you all preorder new games from? 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

^^^That.

The only reason I'd preorder these days is if there was some kind of bonus or discount for doing so.

It used to be that I'd preorder shit so it'd arrive day of and I'd not have to put any effort in, it'd just come to me. 

But that seems to not be the case these days.

10 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

^^^That.

The only reason I'd preorder these days is if there was some kind of bonus or discount for doing so.

With switch games so many of them are limited runs that if you don't preorder them all you get to do is watch the profiteers gouge everyone on ebay,

• Like 2

If I want a special edition I preorder, otherwise I'm switching to wait for a game to come out and see if I care.  Lately I either have no time to play a game or learn enough about the game to lose interest.  Paper Mario lacking an XP system is a recent example.  I've preordered and picked up too many games only to not play them.  It's been a huge waste of money. 

If I had to pick one place to preorder it would be Best Buy.  They package stuff well and have release day delivery.  Amazon sucks at packaging but you get release day delivery.  Gamestop packages well but ships after release or charges $10 to mail on release day.  Apparently they have the games but don't want to ship ahead of time.  I'm getting tired of their weird moves to squeeze extra dollars out of you but that's another topic.

Edited by zeppelin03

I preorder from Best Buy. They sometimes offer $10 back in rewards for preordering and usually give preorder bonuses. There is one down the road from me so I just go pick up on release day. I was sick of the amazon thing as well, they were coming on release day but usually not until 8pm or so at night. 

My pre-order of paper Mario isn't scheduled to show up till Monday because I didn't want to pay GameStop an extra 10 for rush shipping. I can wait, I honestly think the only reliable way is at in person retail to get on release day. Never had GameStop or best buy show up on the day except when I paid extra.

Just an FYI guys, I work at Best Buy in the Warehouse and I am one of the people that packages your pre-orders. All "ship to home" pre-orders are sent the day before release. I have heard of cases of people not getting their pre-orders delivered the day the game came out, and that is not on Best Buy but whoever the shipping company is. However, if you pre-order to pick up in store, you will not have issues. I "picked" about a dozen copies of Ghosts of Tsushima, and a half dozen Paper Mario's today. All ready for customers right as the store opened. We did not have any of the self, because we did not have a "planogram" for it. But we generally have about 5-10 extra copies after pre-orders. If you can't find something released that day, ask at customer service and they can generally hook you up.

All words in "Quotes" are Best Buy Warehouse terms. If you any questions on how things work at Best Buy, I would be happy to answer any questions.

• Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Just an FYI guys, I work at Best Buy in the Warehouse and I am one of the people that packages your pre-orders. All "ship to home" pre-orders are sent the day before release. I have heard of cases of people not getting their pre-orders delivered the day the game came out, and that is not on Best Buy but whoever the shipping company is. However, if you pre-order to pick up in store, you will not have issues. I "picked" about a dozen copies of Ghosts of Tsushima, and a half dozen Paper Mario's today. All ready for customers right as the store opened. We did not have any of the self, because we did not have a "planogram" for it. But we generally have about 5-10 extra copies after pre-orders. If you can't find something released that day, ask at customer service and they can generally hook you up.

All words in "Quotes" are Best Buy Warehouse terms. If you any questions on how things work at Best Buy, I would be happy to answer any questions.

^This

As I preordered this same game as well from a "local" Best Buy and have my shipping notification as of the 16th (close to 10am CST) morning and isdue to arrive Monday coming from somewhere out of Oklahoma (I am in Tennessee) however I did have the option to have it sent the day of release for like an extra $8.00 (which naturally I declined) 

40 minutes ago, MuNKeY said:

^This

As I preordered this same game as well from a "local" Best Buy and have my shipping notification as of the 16th (close to 10am CST) morning and isdue to arrive Monday coming from somewhere out of Oklahoma (I am in Tennessee) however I did have the option to have it sent the day of release for like an extra $8.00 (which naturally I declined) 

If you pre-order for delivery, the shipments can come from anywhere. They try and ship them from a Best Buy that is as close as possible. And as close as possible can be a few states away. I have packaged shipments that were for delivery on the other side of the country. It wasn't a pre-order item but more that we were the only Best Buy that had said item in stock at the time.

• Thanks 1

Best Buy Pro-Tip for anyone interested. The Best Buy app is great for finding out if something is in stock at your local Best Buy. It is not always 100% accurate, but pretty close. And if you are wondering why the app says an item is available at your location and you get there and it is not. 80% chance it was shop lifted, so the system thinks the store still has it. However you could always ask an associate if it might be in the back and just not put out yet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

Best Buy Pro-Tip for anyone interested. The Best Buy app is great for finding out if something is in stock at your local Best Buy. It is not always 100% accurate, but pretty close. And if you are wondering why the app says an item is available at your location and you get there and it is not. 80% chance it was shop lifted, so the system thinks the store still has i.t. However you could always ask an associate if it might be in the back and just not put out yet.

You can also check store availabily online and order it to be picked up.  They will pull it and email you when it is ready.  That is what I did with the realMyst I bought yesterday. Just had to show my ID

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

^This

If you pre-order from BB in the last week or two, you might not get it on release day. But if you do it before then, you should.