IGNORED

New Far Side Comics

JamesRobot

AAAAAHHH! Thank you, this is amazing and it proves pigs can fly, which is hilarious because IIRC, that's been a subject matter of Larson's at least once or twice.

Now, if only Bill Watterson will get the bug again, it would be a sign.  A sign of what?  I don't know, but seeing Larson come back to comics just always seemed like an impossibility and if we ever got more Calvin and Hobbes, that would just be incredible.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

It's also a fun site to check out.  Sure, every now and then he posts a "classic" but if you want bonus features, check out the Sketchbook tab.  I'm not sure if these are new sketches, or just some of his work he scribbled down in his day-to-day life when he was working as a cartoonist.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, RH said:

Now, if only Bill Watterson will get the bug again, it would be a sign.  A sign of what?  I don't know, but seeing Larson come back to comics just always seemed like an impossibility and if we ever got more Calvin and Hobbes, that would just be incredible.

Bill did pen a few Pearls Before Swine strips a few years ago.  (Shit, it's been 6 years already!)  He comes in as a guest character and draws a few panels over a week or so.  The story arc starts here:

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2014/06/02

9 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I found an unused Far Side calendar from some time in the 1980s or 1990s at a flea market for $1. I have it somewhere, unopened. Is it worth anything? It's one of the small desk calendars where you tear off each day.

Well, if you're unfamiliar with Larsen's work, it's priceless.  Open it, put it in the bathroom and tear one or two off each time you visit.

Larsen has a slight dark/morbid sense of humor but without being grotesque.  The comic was also a bit witty and sometimes the joke wasn't immediately obvious.  You'd see the picture... read the bi-line... think for a second or two, and then the chuckle would start.  I wouldn't consider it a stretch to call him a genius in that regard.

When I was but a young shrub there was a daily cartoon called "The Strange World of Mr.Mum" - it ran from 1958 to 1974 and one unique thing about it there were no captions or dialogue (there sometime would be things like street signs or on trucks etc.) and it had a decidely different (in terms of being off beat) sense of humor.  You can see where it very likely had a strong influence on the far side.  Usually it was onepanel  in black and white - in the Sunday edition it would be color and multipanel.

cgaacax7052.jpg.a6e28b0c059219ab89f47ec38d89fa5c.jpg

cgaacax7053.jpg.9fe784e40480cd6602f3a47bd59be110.jpg

There a couple of collections of this great comic available in paperbacks.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

"More manageable."  That's funny because the two volume version I own is a beast.  You get a work out just from picking it up.  

Yeah I'm not sure how well thought out that release was before they did it, it's definitely too hefty for a lot of people's liking I imagine.
It did get released around the same time DVD box sets were getting big, and you know how oversized those often were in the early days as well, they might have just been thinking "bigger is better"

3 minutes ago, trj22487 said:

Yeah I'm not sure how well thought out that release was before they did it, it's definitely too hefty for a lot of people's liking I imagine.
It did get released around the same time DVD box sets were getting big, and you know how oversized those often were in the early days as well, they might have just been thinking "bigger is better"

I don't mind it to be honest because I like the way it looks.  However, if I wanted to sit down and read through each comic, it would be a little difficult.  It's hard to get a sense of scale, but the 3 volume version still looks pretty big.  Do you know what it weighs?  My version weighs over 10 lbs.  I don't know the exact amount because my shipping scale tops out at 10. 😛