IGNORED

The VGS Stream Team

Gloves

The VGS Stream Team - Your Thoughts  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in watching the streams of a dedicated group of VGS members?

2. 2. Would you be interested in joining up and being part of the "team"?

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Course I think there should be some "dry runs" to make sure this is a pretty polished idea.  Start small and let it grown in it's on time/pace.  If there is people who stream well on their own then this will be a super simple thing to do.  I'm thinking of how do we make a Stream Team with people that have little or no experience streaming yet are interested in do it.  Playing games we all know how to do that.  Setting up the software and explain a few things to run it and you can go live pretty quick.  It's avoiding a "dead stream" that is the hard part in my mind and I think we can collectively make that an easy thing with good Co-Host or community members engaging in the chat.

If this is about getting money for vgs, that will require a lot.  Also, not sure how gloves could set that up to go into the server funds.  If its just about sharing and what not I am all for it, but what do you propose to do to set a guideline for who can stream?  I would stream a time or two a month if that is something people would wanna see, but i doubt it 😆.  I have the ability to stream nes/snes/switch/pc, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to interact as much as i would want because i would be wanting to play the game......i guess a cohost would help with that, but idk

Social Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

If this is about getting money for vgs, that will require a lot.  Also, not sure how gloves could set that up to go into the server funds.  If its just about sharing and what not I am all for it, but what do you propose to do to set a guideline for who can stream?  I would stream a time or two a month if that is something people would wanna see, but i doubt it 😆.  I have the ability to stream nes/snes/switch/pc, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to interact as much as i would want because i would be wanting to play the game......i guess a cohost would help with that, but idk

Money is just a cherry on top kinda thing.  I have a 'free' Twitch subscription I'd INSTANTLY do for VGS Twitch channel.  A whole $2.50 (AMERICAN DOLLARS!) for Gloves to use.  Twitch isn't the best for making/raising money but I'm sure it'd get to the $100 pay out in time.  YouTube is where I hear the money is but it takes even longer to be monetized so there is that issue.  Again, this just cherries on top.  I REALLY like the idea of VGS getting into the Content Creation section of gaming that also most anyone can do..... YouTube video creation and Twitch Streaming.  Not everyone can draw, create homebrew games, or create chip tunes that people will enjoy.  Maybe because I've done YT video and Twitch streaming I think anyone can do them too 😝.

26 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Also, to let you know, i don't know much about streaming and getting a good aesthetic look......i basically can share my gameplay, don't know much beyond that.

I'd totally Co-Host you and keep a VERY accurate count of your deaths/failures.  You may not have a ton of streaming experience but you sure as hell have experience of talking and gaming with being the host of the Bi-Weekly VGS Game Nights.  You just need someone to talk to 😉.  Though I think I rather watch a Jeevan and @OptOutCo-Host stream.  The fancy bits of doing a stream are easy peasy once it's put together for you.  Potentially the biggest issue maybe getting "good" audio.  That can vary a lot of each person's mic.  You can get good audio from a cheap mic but doing the back in stuff to make it sound the best is a little trial and error it seems.  Again, stuff that a dry run can iron out.  Basically one you got shit figured out it's mostly clicking one button and playing the game and talking with a buddy.

Edited by FireHazard51

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Money is just a cherry on top kinda thing.  I have a 'free' Twitch subscription I'd INSTANTLY do for VGS Twitch channel.  A whole $2.50 (AMERICAN DOLLARS!) for Gloves to use.  Twitch isn't the best for making/raising money but I'm sure it'd get to the $100 pay out in time.  YouTube is where I hear the money is but it takes even longer to be monetized so there is that issue.  Again, this just cherries on top.  I REALLY like the idea of VGS getting into the Content Creation section of gaming that also most anyone can do..... YouTube video creation and Twitch Streaming.  Not everyone can draw, create homebrew games, or create chip tunes that people will enjoy.  Maybe because I've done YT video and Twitch streaming I think anyone can do them too 😝.

I'd totally Co-Host you and keep a VERY accurate count of your deaths/failures.  You may not have a ton of streaming experience but you sure as hell have experience of talking and gaming with being the host of the Bi-Weekly VGS Game Nights.  You just need someone to talk to 😉.  Though I think I rather watch a Jeevan and @OptOutCo-Host stream.  The fancy bits of doing a stream are easy peasy once it's put together for you.  Potentially the biggest issue maybe getting "good" audio.  That can vary a lot of each person's mic.  You can get good audio from a cheap mic but doing the back in stuff to make it sound the best is a little trial and error it seems.  Again, stuff that a dry run can iron out.  Basically one you got shit figured out it's mostly clicking one button and playing the game and talking with a buddy.

who is going to edit said content?  editing is a bitch......i have no clue where to start, i broke up a couple videos for my youtube and it took too much time for me to enjoy doing........People only want to watch 20 min. videos 😉  

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

who is going to edit said content?  editing is a bitch......i have no clue where to start, i broke up a couple videos for my youtube and it took too much time for me to enjoy doing........People only want to watch 20 min. videos 😉  

To be clear - the Youtube/Google algorithm wants people to want to watch 20 minute videos, so that's what people produce.

Social Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

You know how I know you didn't read my big post 😒

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

As you can see I have a passion on this subject(s).  If you'd like I can really go into the weeds on any of these ideas.  I'd legit do a presentation on this shit because I'm actually looking to practice "public speaking/presenting" for my actual career and why I got involved in streaming recently.  At my job I don't get too many opportunities to practice public speaking/presentation so I've decided to make my own outside of work and have it overlap with other hobbies/interest.  I'm legit looking to work the following skills: "streaming" (seriously, I think this will be important skill/knowledgebase down the road for my career/job), public speaking, writing, video editing (Da Vinci/Blender), WordPress, python, animation (Blender).  

Video editing a recorded stream is like the simplest shit since you pretty much don't edit it much at all.  If you are talking about making like highlight clips and shit well that is up for anyone to volunteer to do if they want to do it.  If you are talking about someone recording their own game play and then asking someone to do the video editing/production.....No.  VGS Stream Team is not VGS Community Video Producer Team.  You want a video to be posted to the VGS YT channel then you need to do the heavy lifting.  Someone wants to do it but doesn't know what to do then I'm sure people can help teach or at least point them to the resources to learn. 

I guess what I'm saying is VGS YT is more for people already making content (including the editing) and are cool with VGS hosting/sharing that content on VGS's channel.  When it comes to the VGS Stream Team I think we want to lower the bar of entry a bit since I think there is more people who want to do that but haven't.  And honestly it doesn't seem that difficult to get started.  I think getting into YT content creation is much harder to do so I'm not expecting the same little/no experience VGS members to sign up for that.   That's more for those who already do that and VGS is another outlet for them.

I wouldn't mind doing minor edits to get a stream recording fit for posting to YT.  I'm sure there are some stupid things to worry about like max length of video so a video would need to be broken into parts potentially.  Or VGS could make a rule that all submissions have to be less than so long to avoid extra work.  

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

You know how I know you didn't read my big post 😒

Video editing a recorded stream is like the simplest shit since you pretty much don't edit it much at all.  If you are talking about making like highlight clips and shit well that is up for anyone to volunteer to do if they want to do it.  If you are talking about someone recording their own game play and then asking someone to do the video editing/production.....No.  VGS Stream Team is not VGS Community Video Producer Team.  You want a video to be posted to the VGS YT channel then you need to do the heavy lifting.  Someone wants to do it but doesn't know what to do then I'm sure people can help teach or at least point them to the resources to learn. 

I guess what I'm saying is VGS YT is more for people already making content (including the editing) and are cool with VGS hosting/sharing that content on VGS's channel.  When it comes to the VGS Stream Team I think we want to lower the bar of entry a bit since I think there is more people who want to do that but haven't.  And honestly it doesn't seem that difficult to get started.  I think getting into YT content creation is much harder to do so I'm not expecting the same little/no experience VGS members to sign up for that.   That's more for those who already do that and VGS is another outlet for them.

I wouldn't mind doing minor edits to get a stream recording fit for posting to YT.  I'm sure there are some stupid things to worry about like max length of video so a video would need to be broken into parts potentially.  Or VGS could make a rule that all submissions have to be less than so long to avoid extra work.  

i didn't read this one either......i mean, come on, you had like 20 paragraphs 😊

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

don't think there is any limit on max length........

I upload all the game night streams to my youtube.

also.......

Spoiler

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I will talk over anything, whatever it is, just give me a date and a time and I'll ruin it good and proper all over. 😉

i mean, id be game, but i would have to stay up or you would......so ya, prolly not gonna happen for us unfortunately, lest we plan ahead i guess......i could stream it over discord of course

Events Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, Gloves said:

To be clear - the Youtube/Google algorithm wants people to want to watch 20 minute videos, so that's what people produce.

I don't even want to watch 10 minute videos.  After 5 minutes your content better be fucking stellar to keep my attention.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

I don't even want to watch 10 minute videos.  After 5 minutes your content better be fucking stellar to keep my attention.

ouch

@FireHazard51 also, you will get youtube strikes for just about anything, so copyright music on every game will demonetize every video, and then there is the nintendo gonna sue everyone to take down their videos 😆

Social Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

don't think there is any limit on max length........

I upload all the game night streams to my youtube.

also.......

When I first started my YT channel....10+ years ago..... they had a limit for new channels and they let it expand the longer your channel existed.  I have yet to try and create a new channel and upload a "long" video.  Things probably had change.  But this is all kind of a mute point.  The point is we can set limits to minimize effort needed to post YT videos.  

I think YT videos are different than streams.  But I guess you have a point, we shouldn't take any turd of a video that is miserable to watch (game play recorded from a 10 year old Nokia phone with unintelligible audio) and post that to VGS's YT channel.  Maybe a VGS YouTube Review Team 😛, take a vote of if it's "good enough".  I kind of see VGS as a whole helping/encouraging it's members to engage in the video gaming community in all it's possible ways.  One including video content creation.  Saying your work is too shitty to post is kinda the opposite of encouraging.  We could at least make some guidelines for video submissions so if it checks the boxes it get's posted.  And if it doesn't we can point to why it couldn't be posted and help them fix those issues.  

Again I think the approach is start small, specific types of video content; tips/tricks, game reviews, etc. can make it straight forward to draft up requirements to be posted on the VGS channel.  Nobody wanna watch my recorded stream play where I had an echo effect the whole 5 hour I stream and didn't know it was happening 🥲.

Also this could lead to some cool VGS event competitions.  Screen recording emulations isn't too taxing on a computer.  Even @spacepupcould participate with his 10 year old potato graphics card.  All the software needed to do this is freely available and I could whip out a tutorial video on how to do the steps doing the recording and even simple video editing.  But I think that is a much later thing VGS would do.  Again, start simple and branch out as needed/available.  

3 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

@FireHazard51 also, you will get youtube strikes for just about anything, so copyright music on every game will demonetize every video, and then there is the nintendo gonna sue everyone to take down their videos 😆

Yeah, I mentioned that as a potential TOS issue.  I'm not worried about demonetize content.  I'm worried about strikes though and again, the VGS YT/Stream Team would need some diligence and search for known issues with games before posting them.  I've had one of my video's demonetized because in a Half Priced Bookstore they were playing a song.  Jokes on them because my 5 annual watches on that video doesn't earn any money.  Most people bitch about the demonetizing but I haven't heard much on strikes taking place.  That's a serious thing so it should be easy to know if that is an issue on a game.  We could always do the Jim Sterling maneuver and intentionally do multiple types of demonetized stuff and let the companies fight each other for the monetized money.  Think they did Konami and Nintendo footage specifically.  May of even thrown in a snippet of popular music too.  

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

When I first started my YT channel....10+ years ago..... they had a limit for new channels and they let it expand the longer your channel existed.  I have yet to try and create a new channel and upload a "long" video.  Things probably had change.  But this is all kind of a mute point.  The point is we can set limits to minimize effort needed to post YT videos.  

I think YT videos are different than streams.  But I guess you have a point, we shouldn't take any turd of a video that is miserable to watch (game play recorded from a 10 year old Nokia phone with unintelligible audio) and post that to VGS's YT channel.  Maybe a VGS YouTube Review Team 😛, take a vote of if it's "good enough".  I kind of see VGS as a whole helping/encouraging it's members to engage in the video gaming community in all it's possible ways.  One including video content creation.  Saying your work is too shitty to post is kinda the opposite of encouraging.  We could at least make some guidelines for video submissions so if it checks the boxes it get's posted.  And if it doesn't we can point to why it couldn't be posted and help them fix those issues.  

Again I think the approach is start small, specific types of video content; tips/tricks, game reviews, etc. can make it straight forward to draft up requirements to be posted on the VGS channel.  Nobody wanna watch my recorded stream play where I had an echo effect the whole 5 hour I stream and didn't know it was happening 🥲.

Also this could lead to some cool VGS event competitions.  Screen recording emulations isn't too taxing on a computer.  Even @spacepupcould participate with his 10 year old potato graphics card.  All the software needed to do this is freely available and I could whip out a tutorial video on how to do the steps doing the recording and even simple video editing.  But I think that is a much later thing VGS would do.  Again, start simple and branch out as needed/available.  

Yeah, I mentioned that as a potential TOS issue.  I'm not worried about demonetize content.  I'm worried about strikes though and again, the VGS YT/Stream Team would need some diligence and search for known issues with games before posting them.  I've had one of my video's demonetized because in a Half Priced Bookstore they were playing a song.  Jokes on them because my 5 annual watches on that video doesn't earn any money.  Most people bitch about the demonetizing but I haven't heard much on strikes taking place.  That's a serious thing so it should be easy to know if that is an issue on a game.  We could always do the Jim Sterling maneuver and intentionally do multiple types of demonetized stuff and let the companies fight each other for the monetized money.  Think they did Konami and Nintendo footage specifically.  May of even thrown in a snippet of popular music too.  

copyright strikes don't hurt you, just demonetize.  AFAIK

@FireHazard51 You're going off into YT, which is an entirely different path altogether. YT can be used to promote more, but it shouldn't be a requirement. My wife does some videos and she edits the to speed them up, add some minor animation and music but it takes some time either way.

That's why Twitch is easier to pick up. All you have to do it turn on the stream, set up some layouts and let it roll. I used to stream some gameplay sometime ago and wouldn't mind doing it again. It just seems every time people are enthusiastic about working together to set something up everything falls apart. The last time I tried something out I got the cold shoulder. It's the simple reason I have yet to commit to a second monitor to allow stuff to go much smoother because being the tech noob I am, I am not willing to jump in and figure it out by myself. I'd rather pay someone to teach me or assist in someway. There always seems to be something wrong with something along the way and I am unable to solve it alone.

Social Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

@FireHazard51 You're going off into YT, which is an entirely different path altogether. YT can be used to promote more, but it shouldn't be a requirement. My wife does some videos and she edits the to speed them up, add some minor animation and music but it takes some time either way.

That's why Twitch is easier to pick up. All you have to do it turn on the stream, set up some layouts and let it roll. I used to stream some gameplay sometime ago and wouldn't mind doing it again. It just seems every time people are enthusiastic about working together to set something up everything falls apart. The last time I tried something out I got the cold shoulder. It's the simple reason I have yet to commit to a second monitor to allow stuff to go much smoother because being the tech noob I am, I am not willing to jump in and figure it out by myself. I'd rather pay someone to teach me or assist in someway. There always seems to be something wrong with something along the way and I am unable to solve it alone.

Good point, start simple and just do Twitch stuff and then re-upload that Twitch stream to YouTube so it doesn't get deleted into the ether on Twitch.  Streaming is simple which is why I think it's so doable.  I don't think you have to do the stream with someone else.  I think it should be encouraged getting a group together to support each other do a good stream.  It literally could be as simple as a Discord Streaming channel that if you see someone is in there by themselves you should hop in and chat.  I'm sure it'd be simple enough to make a new role so no rando can join in and "bomb" the stream.  

I used to stream a little bit when I was in residency and lived alone. It's a big time suck and very hard to do if you've got a lot of other things going on. With a busy job, wife, and two kids (with a third on the way), I don't see myself getting back into it any time soon.

That being said, I'll certainly bookmark the people here who do participate.