IGNORED

Is Gen X now the new 'forgotten generation"? No really you hear all the time about 'Boomers and Millennials but...

Estil

22 minutes ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

I totally agree, 20 just seems really old. Maybe not terrifying, but it is quite sad in the sense that you aren't a child anymore and you have to fend for yourself. Is college all that it is hyped up to be? I'm interested in just how much of a change it is and exactly how much freedom you have.

You're not an adult until you're 30. And now that I'm 39, I'm starting to wonder if that belief is wrong and the age might actually be 40!

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

You're not an adult until you're 30. And now that I'm 39, I'm starting to wonder if that belief is wrong and the age might actually be 40!

I recall reading studies where chemically there is a big change around 25, things balance out and you are less likely to make impulsive, dangerous, and rash choices.  That is also around the time where you may have or begin to have you adult life in order.  A few years into a career job, more serious relationship, living away from your parents. 

Not everything is so neat, but that is the start.  25-30, to me, is where a lot things became cemented.

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

I totally agree, 20 just seems really old. Maybe not terrifying, but it is quite sad in the sense that you aren't a child anymore and you have to fend for yourself. Is college all that it is hyped up to be? I'm interested in just how much of a change it is and exactly how much freedom you have.

College is ultimately what you make of it. I grew up in a bit of a bubble because my parents were pretty strict. So when I got to college and I wasn’t under their supervision, it was fun to explore. My only regrets were that I didn’t explore more and that I wasted freshman year trying to adjust to the culture shock of a new environment and not realizing I had initially surrounded myself with toxic people. I wasn’t the party every night doing keg stands type, but I explored my new city, stayed up late chatting with people in my dorm, and had fun with all kinds of classes because my concentration and core requirements afforded me a lot of electives.

Do you have any specific questions about college?

9 hours ago, Scrobins said:

College is ultimately what you make of it. I grew up in a bit of a bubble because my parents were pretty strict. So when I got to college and I wasn’t under their supervision, it was fun to explore. My only regrets were that I didn’t explore more and that I wasted freshman year trying to adjust to the culture shock of a new environment and not realizing I had initially surrounded myself with toxic people. I wasn’t the party every night doing keg stands type, but I explored my new city, stayed up late chatting with people in my dorm, and had fun with all kinds of classes because my concentration and core requirements afforded me a lot of electives.

Do you have any specific questions about college?

Sure; where did you go?  I'm sure you can guess where I went 🙂  I still can't get over how things have so drastically changed over there...both the main food service/cafeteria places at the time (Commons Market/Student Center) got torn down and replaced a few years back, the Kirwan/Blanding dorm complex (I was in Blanding 3 Room 208 all four years) was decommissioned and is about to be torn down, the K-Lair Grill is also gone...

I never got the chance to go back since I graduated in 2003 but I don't know if I could hardly recognize half the place anymore!

Edited by Estil

Moderator · Posted

Gee I wonder? 😜 Go wildcats!

I went to Harvard; I was so happy I got to visit last year for my 10-year reunion. For me so little had changed on campus, though the surrounding city had changed a lot. I got to see all the people I wanted to see most, and reconnect with so many other friends. My favorite part was that I was invited to be a class marshal for commencement because I had helped with some pre-reunion stuff. As part of the event, I got to wear a top hat and tails and march with my class in an alumni procession to the ceremony where the keynote speaker was Angela Merkel. I’ve loved my school and my overall experiences so much that I interview high school kids applying for admission, which is itself a lot of fun.

33 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Gee I wonder? 😜 Go wildcats!

I went to Harvard; I was so happy I got to visit last year for my 10-year reunion. For me so little had changed on campus, though the surrounding city had changed a lot. I got to see all the people I wanted to see most, and reconnect with so many other friends. My favorite part was that I was invited to be a class marshal for commencement because I had helped with some pre-reunion stuff. As part of the event, I got to wear a top hat and tails and march with my class in an alumni procession to the ceremony where the keynote speaker was Angela Merkel. I’ve loved my school and my overall experiences so much that I interview high school kids applying for admission, which is itself a lot of fun.

Seriously???  You really honest to goodness went to Harvard???  I mean you must've been like a super valedictorian and near perfect ACT/SAT to even have a chance of getting into a place like that!  You must be so very very proud.  I wasn't even an honors graduate in HS and I only managed a 2.57 at UK 😞  Talk about really feeling small and inantiquate now... 😞   I would've killed for a chance to go to Harvard or one of the other Ivys...maybe Columbia with their most famous alumnus (is that the right word), the Pride of the Yankees? 🙂 

Edited by Estil

Moderator · Posted

Gah, this is why I feel awkward talking about it unless asked directly. I had a lot of things going in my favor, but in the end luck played a huge role. I’m so happy I got to attend though I still get waves of imposter syndrome that gives me a chip on my shoulder to do more with what there opportunities that’s afforded me.

2 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Gah, this is why I feel awkward talking about it unless asked directly. I had a lot of things going in my favor, but in the end luck played a huge role. I’m so happy I got to attend though I still get waves of imposter syndrome that gives me a chip on my shoulder to do more with what there opportunities that’s afforded me.

Well there is that whole if it sounds too good to be true...hey at least you got something worth being called an impostor on!!

Moderator · Posted
1 minute ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

You bet I do! How hard are classes? How long do you spend studying? How much free time do you have? Do vending machines really sell ready-to-eat meals? Is the freedom great or is it overwhelming? Are parties anything like they are in movies? Can you go wherever you want when you don't have class? Do you have the freedom to skip a class if you have something else to do or do you have to make sure you make it to everything? Is the food any good? What does a typical day look like?

I'm by no means asking you to answer all of these, but college is just so magical and mysterious to me. Congrats on going to Harvard btw, I'm honestly not sure where I'll be going myself. My entire Mom's side of the family went to UK with the exception of my Grandma (WKU) so that is a likely candidate.

I’m going to PM you so as to not derail the thread, but I’d be happy to start a separate “college life” and/or “admissions advice” thread if there is interest as well.

5 hours ago, MachineCode said:

To everyone except for marketers in the 90's.

You mean like how back in the 90s we had hot issues like red HIV/AIDS ribbons, spotted owls, clear cutting rainforests, hole in the ozone layer, the death penalty, term limits that now are hardly ever mentioned at all?  There was a South Park episode in fact about how the red HIV/AIDS ribbon was "kinda a 90s thing; couldn't we do more current and trendy like [breast] cancer instead?"

2 hours ago, Scrobins said:

I’m going to PM you so as to not derail the thread, but I’d be happy to start a separate “college life” and/or “admissions advice” thread if there is interest as well.

Go for it; it'll give me a good excuse to repost from NA how I strongly disagree from personal experience with any notion that liberal arts degrees or non-STEM majors are "worthless" 😞 

2 hours ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

You bet I do! How hard are classes? How long do you spend studying? How much free time do you have? Do vending machines really sell ready-to-eat meals? Is the freedom great or is it overwhelming? Are parties anything like they are in movies? Can you go wherever you want when you don't have class? Do you have the freedom to skip a class if you have something else to do or do you have to make sure you make it to everything? Is the food any good? What does a typical day look like?

I'm by no means asking you to answer all of these, but college is just so magical and mysterious to me. Congrats on going to Harvard btw, I'm honestly not sure where I'll be going myself. My entire Mom's side of the family went to UK with the exception of my Grandma (WKU) so that is a likely candidate.

Unless you got a reasonable shot at one of those really selective/prestigious schools; go to the best, the flagship (UK) and don't settle for anything less!  That's what I did! 🙂   I mean I'm sure the "other guys" in KY are just fine and all that but even humble aww shucks Gomer Pyle in that poker episode threw away four Kings because "with all that money [in the pot], I want the best!"

59 minutes ago, Estil said:

You mean like how back in the 90s we had hot issues like red HIV/AIDS ribbons, spotted owls, clear cutting rainforests, hole in the ozone layer, the death penalty, term limits that now are hardly ever mentioned at all?  There was a South Park episode in fact about how the red HIV/AIDS ribbon was "kinda a 90s thing; couldn't we do more current and trendy like [breast] cancer instead?"

Ye pretty much.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, ChickenTendas said:

College (or university as it's referred to here) is definitely far different than high school, but I didn't find it overwhelming at all. As long as you're doing a degree you're passionate about it's great fun. I've thoroughly enjoyed the past 1.5yrs I've been at uni for. As far as freedom goes it's about the same for me as it was in high school, though that's purely down to the fact that the school I went to specifically prepared us for uni through their teaching styles and content. Friends of mine say the freedom they have is day and night. All up to you to get assignments done. 

Yes do the subjects you enjoy most and don't worry about whether or not it "leads to a higher paying job"; if it does great, if not you'll have experience/memories that will last a lifetime.   PSA: Not everyone is cut out for one of those trendy sexy STEM majors.  The world needs all different kinds.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:23 PM, Scrobins said:

I think a seperate thread would be good. I went back to college later than most and my experiences sound fairly different than others maybe because I'm in a STEM degree.