IGNORED

After 35ish frickin' years and using cheap tricks, I finally beat Super Mario Bros!

RH

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You know I'm not sure I'd call it that cheap of a win, more of a calculated time saver.

The only reason?  If you're being honest, you would replay each area of each world over and over again until you could do it without dying once.  You're still applying the knowledge without being screwed and having to start all over again, or at least over at the ?-1 stage if you use the built in continue.

That's basically what I was thinking. It's not really any different than beating it on the NES Classic Edition using the suspend points. I'd still want to beat it legit though.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 4:21 AM, RH said:

Yes, it's true.  I grew up with SMB just like all of us kids from the 80s, but I could never beat.  My brother and I had the classic setup, I was the kid who really, really loved video games (but sucked at them) and he only had a passing interest but was really good.  I remember playing Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 together, a lot.  I'd get close to the end using warps and at level 8-1 or 8-2, I'd pass the controller off to him and he'd beat it.

Well, nearly 35 years later, I decided to sit down and beat this thing on my own... sort of.  Well, I just wanted to play through all the levels on my own.  Using an emulator and a bluetooth controller, I mapped a quick save and reset buttons.  At the start of each stage, I'd save the game and then I'd run threw the level until I could get to the end without getting hit.  Some were easy and some were unbelievably hard.

I get it.  Using save states is a cheap win, and I'm sure some of you guys could probably run through every single stage, never get hit, never die and beat this on both difficulty levels, but I could never do it, or even come close.  Well, across yesterday and today, I played through every single stage without warps and without getting hit.  Regardless, I think I'm going to give it a break and maybe do it again sometime.  And again... and again, until I can actually play through this entire game without losing.  I don't know if I can get there (or want to work that hard to do it) but now it feels possible.

It was just nice, for once in my life, to actually save the OG princess.

Errr...congrats?!

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but it seems like you couldn’t complete the game back then because you had a fear of completing it and being hit by an enemy? Is there some sort of obsession going on? 🙂

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

Errr...congrats?!

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but it seems like you couldn’t complete the game back then because you had a fear of completing it and being hit by an enemy? Is there some sort of obsession going on? 🙂

Nah, I doubt it. I tried a bunch, plus as a kid I had a limited amount of time I could play, so I couldn't do it as naseum.

Yeah I thought back in the day the game was tougher than I thought it "should be" (I mean in terms of my own gaming skills)...the thing is though trying to beat those Hammer Bros by stomping them (sometimes there are no bricks you can punch them underneath) because they through their hammers so quickly...as opposed to the ones in SMB3 that do so much more slowly.

I bet there's a SMB hack that all the enemies were replaced by Hammer Bros...boy would that be a doozy!

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Yeah I thought back in the day the game was tougher than I thought it "should be" (I mean in terms of my own gaming skills)...the thing is though trying to beat those Hammer Bros by stomping them (sometimes there are no bricks you can punch them underneath) because they through their hammers so quickly...as opposed to the ones in SMB3 that do so much more slowly.

I bet there's a SMB hack that all the enemies were replaced by Hammer Bros...boy would that be a doozy!

Two words-- fireballs. I was making quick work of then since I kept the fireball suit. Even the hammer throwing Bowsers are easy if you stand back and shoot at him.

1 hour ago, RH said:

Two words-- fireballs. I was making quick work of then since I kept the fireball suit. Even the hammer throwing Bowsers are easy if you stand back and shoot at him.

I'm talking about if you don't have fireballs.