IGNORED

Ebay (or general shipping) of expensive items

So I bought the Jak and Daxter collection from LRG when it released assuming I wouldn't get a copy anyway. I somehow made it through and got one, and by the time it arrived I decided I like the game but I don't like it $400. Since then it has sat on my shelf - partly due to my guilt and dislike of flipping, partly because I'm just legitimately afraid to sell/ship it.

Ebay freaks me out because the buyer can be any jerkbag who says "umm item damaged during shipping" or "sent wrong item" and then I'm screwed. 

I'd feel infinitely better about trading something(s) for it, but even if I were to trade with one of you lovely trustworthy people, there comes the actual risk of the item getting damaged during shipping. I'd probably prefer to trade it for multiple things, but in the end the resell values for the items would be similar, so thats double the risk. 

The obvious solution would be to meet in person, but this is already a relatively niche hobby, and finding someone into both LRG and retro is further into the niche. I live in a pretty rural area at that.

So my question to you guys is how do you do it? How do you trust ebay or various shippers with your items? I realize they do this all day every day as the only thing they do...but I just can't shake that concern! I've ordered expensive electronics and sound equipment before, but they were always from large companies who I knew could replace it if something went wrong. 

Edit: If anyone does wanna meet me in CNY I'd trade it for Ducktales 2 & Rescue Rangers 2, even if they're beat up 😉

Edited by 315retro

I haven't had anyone lie about the wrong item being sent. I think that scam is very rare.

i have only had a few buyers lie about a  game not working. They have done this to return their own broken game instead. I have contested these and won since their games have had smal; markings that prove they aren't the same as the games I pictured in my listings. It also wouldn't apply to your game since it is brand new.

The other small risk I think you have is a buyer claiming that the item was damaged when it wasn't and requesting a partial refund. Pictures are required for this, do they would need to either purposely damage the game to get the refund or have a separate damaged game that they show pictures of instead. This also seems very unlikely.

Your chances of being scammed are very low when selling a sealed game. Just package it VERY well to ensure that it doesn't actually get damaged.

• Like 1

I've bought and sold hundreds of items on eBay (including many items worth more than $1000) and never had a problem with shipping damage or a scammer. Obviously it happens, but it's rare. Avoid zero feedback bidders and don't make weird deals or sell off eBay (except for with people you trust on this site).

If you're really worried, just take pictures of you packing the item and sealing it in the box. Make sure to buy insurance as well.

Most people are just trying to make an honest purchase, but you do need to be smart.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I've bought and sold hundreds of items on eBay (including many items worth more than $1000) and never had a problem with shipping damage or a scammer. Obviously it happens, but it's rare. Avoid zero feedback bidders and don't make weird deals or sell off eBay (except for with people you trust on this site).

If you're really worried, just take pictures of you packing the item and sealing it in the box. Make sure to buy insurance as well.

Most people are just trying to make an honest purchase, but you do need to be smart.

53 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

If it arrives damaged, all you have to do is open a claim with the shipper. I just received a $500 pay out from UPS from something lost in February.

Make sure you have the appropriate amount of insurance purchased.   There's some by default (USPS Priority is $50, I believe UPS/FedEx is $100) but if you want more make sure you buy it.

Don't worry about the pictures/video of you packing and sealing.  That'll never hold up in a claim anyway; all somebody needs to say is that you opened the bottom of the box after you turned the camera off.

• Like 1

I usually bubble wrap whatever I'm shipping first in a few layers, then I'll put a layer of bubble wrap or packing paper or something down, then sit the item in the center of the box, then pack bubble wrap around the corners and on top so it's basically in a bubble wrap nest or something.

A problem I've had with Gamestop and other places is that they'll place items flush with the corners of the box, so if the box gets crushed in a corner, so too does your item.  So that's why I would say center the item in the box and then place bubble wrap at the corners and all around it ( kinda like how TVs are boxed ).  If it's already in a box that it fits in perfectly, I would probably double box it.

Edited by Redmond

Shipping insurance. Just take pics before shipping. If it gets damaged, get the buyers damage pics and messages from the buyer and make an insurance claim with the shipping company.

Make sure you purchase the correct insurance policy, I think if you don’t buy it , then coverage is limited to like $200 

Administrator · Posted
On 5/11/2020 at 12:59 PM, 315retro said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! If our local game con ends up canceled due to covid (it's in October...) I think I'll take the chance with ebay. I appreciate the experienced information. 

I'm hoping it still goes on too, but I don't hold out any real hope for conventions this calendar year.    I've been dumping my show stock on ebay.

15 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm hoping it still goes on too, but I don't hold out any real hope for conventions this calendar year.    I've been dumping my show stock on ebay.

I don't always have a table, I save up my bulk stuff for a year or two and then liquidate at the show. With reduced yardsales this year I'm not too sure that I'll have much to sell anyway 😞

Was gonna actually unload all my own stuff and thin my collection down to about half, but maybe this is a sign to keep hoarding. 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:15 AM, 315retro said:

I'd feel infinitely better about trading something(s) for it, but even if I were to trade with one of you lovely trustworthy people, there comes the actual risk of the item getting damaged during shipping. I'd probably prefer to trade it for multiple things, but in the end the resell values for the items would be similar, so thats double the risk. 

I see some recommendations on insurance etc. While this is obviously the best way to protect yourself as a seller, I just want to throw a note out there that for international transactions, heavily insured packages with premium shipping options tend to be a major draw for customs. Not proposing to defraud customs, but for international transactions, it's much better to reduce any chance of waking up sleeping wolves, since the damage from customs inspection is far worse than any potential risk of damage during shipping. This is particularly important for one-of-a-kind historical pieces etc. I've had issues with this far too often, that I just want to throw this out there.