fcgamer finds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I've got quite a bit that I haven't posted, as I've just been really busy over the past few months with family visiting in February, and now this March I'm involved with ByteOff. 

Anyways, here are a few fun finds.

The first is a boxed Family Fun Creator Famiclone done by Bit Corp. For those of you from the DP days, you likely know Bit Corp, as they had been creating games and machines since the Atari era, a pioneer of the trade, when it comes to Taiwanese manufacturers. As such, I was really happy to receive this machine. The box is probably a B, condition wise, IMO. There's some wear but for this kind of product, it's in excellent condition.

On a different note, I believe I have one or two of these loose (machine only with controllers) if anyone is interested. Hit me up here if you want one, as they'll be going on the sale pile. Early and rare.

Regarding the cartridges, Great Tank is a bootleg; however, the PCB is legit. This was definitely a behind the scenes jobbie, to move stock or promote a brand to those who couldn't afford it.

Then there are the two old boots, Whirlwind Manu and NTG F1 Race. Lecker schmecker, wow. Makes me geil. We also can't forget SMB, I have quite a large SMB bootleg collection. When I find bootleg SMB cartridges, I always keep them. This is one of the "key" titles imo, eventually they will be worth more. 

IMG20240313033224.jpg

IMG20240313033914.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Ankos said:

The shell for that looks like the type more common in Mainland China

My knee-jerk reaction wants to say yes, but I'm not going to.

While you do see this sort of larger style cartridge in China quite a bit, I've also spotted it frequently in Taiwan with multicarts, as well as some other games that generally didn't have "small cart" releases, such as Splatter house. Even the bootleg of the Japanese Bases Loaded got one of these shells, in black, making the cartridge look authentic at first glance.

I always figured that due to technical reasons, some of these games were placed in these larger shells, i.e. they required more chips. 

In addition to size there is also the color. I've noticed larger Taiwan shells often have a pale blue color, while the overwhelming majority of Mainland shells are either yellow or orange. It's not a surefire thing though, it's just the overall trend I see

1 hour ago, Ankos said:

In addition to size there is also the color. I've noticed larger Taiwan shells often have a pale blue color, while the overwhelming majority of Mainland shells are either yellow or orange. It's not a surefire thing though, it's just the overall trend I see

I knew you were going to bring up color as well - while I've probably found more blue cartridges overall, I've also found a large amount of orange cartridges, and even a few pink / black / white cartridges. Also, it's interesting as blue has become the standard of modern cartridges using this design, for some reason, and those are all coming out of China.

I guess what I am getting at is because you do see a lot of 72 in 1 orange cartridge story cartridges, 64 in 1 orange, etc. that I just honestly would not be able to classify these as strictly Chinese cartridges / versions. Even Princess Maker was in one of these, and primarily an orange shell. These are strictly just my opinions though.

It's funny that we ended up on this topic. A few weeks back I was actually investigating if there was a correlation between game, shell color, and shell design - i.e. I was chatting with a good buddy of mine (TheBootlegBandit), and I had posited that it might be possible to collect (within certain parameters) "all" bootleg Famicom games of all shell designs / colors. This was based on seeing certain games such as the Whirlwind Manu Rockman game always showing up in a pink Assupo shell, Fantasy Zone often appearing in a gray "standard" cartridge, etc. Then I looked at a pair of Tpita (Tengen) Tetris Whirlwind Manu cartridges I had, and while they were virtually identical, one was a paler shade of blue, though it didn't appear to be a case of sunfading. Then there was also the case of the two black Dig Dugs, where the labels were the same and while the black shells were almost the same, they were slightly different on the sides and back. Such things spooked me a bit and made me think that while I am sure there is going to be some patterns (i.e. none of these are going to be one-offs), unfortunately it would quickly get to the level of nitpicking akin to documenting minute changes in the fine print of licensed cartridge labels. I do, however, speculate that collecting for some of the shell variants would be quite doable though.

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I knew you were going to bring up color as well - while I've probably found more blue cartridges overall, I've also found a large amount of orange cartridges, and even a few pink / black / white cartridges. Also, it's interesting as blue has become the standard of modern cartridges using this design, for some reason, and those are all coming out of China.

I guess what I am getting at is because you do see a lot of 72 in 1 orange cartridge story cartridges, 64 in 1 orange, etc. that I just honestly would not be able to classify these as strictly Chinese cartridges / versions. Even Princess Maker was in one of these, and primarily an orange shell. These are strictly just my opinions though.

It's funny that we ended up on this topic. A few weeks back I was actually investigating if there was a correlation between game, shell color, and shell design - i.e. I was chatting with a good buddy of mine (TheBootlegBandit), and I had posited that it might be possible to collect (within certain parameters) "all" bootleg Famicom games of all shell designs / colors. This was based on seeing certain games such as the Whirlwind Manu Rockman game always showing up in a pink Assupo shell, Fantasy Zone often appearing in a gray "standard" cartridge, etc. Then I looked at a pair of Tpita (Tengen) Tetris Whirlwind Manu cartridges I had, and while they were virtually identical, one was a paler shade of blue, though it didn't appear to be a case of sunfading. Then there was also the case of the two black Dig Dugs, where the labels were the same and while the black shells were almost the same, they were slightly different on the sides and back. Such things spooked me a bit and made me think that while I am sure there is going to be some patterns (i.e. none of these are going to be one-offs), unfortunately it would quickly get to the level of nitpicking akin to documenting minute changes in the fine print of licensed cartridge labels. I do, however, speculate that collecting for some of the shell variants would be quite doable though.

Yeah, I agree the colors are not a rule, just a tend

I'm not super in the loop with more modern designs; I always turn on a used goods only filter if it is an option. I also don't look that closely at shell design in general. One that did pop out to me though was this "Tedyphone" one. I rarely ever see it, and it appears to have a Konami logo molded on it

Tedyphone.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Yeah, I agree the colors are not a rule, just a tend

I'm not super in the loop with more modern designs; I always turn on a used goods only filter if it is an option. I also don't look that closely at shell design in general. One that did pop out to me though was this "Tedyphone" one. I rarely ever see it, and it appears to have a Konami logo molded on it

Tedyphone.JPG

That one's really interesting looking, but I've never seen one of those until now. Judging from the text, I guess it's coming out of China?