Jump to content
IGNORED

Was anyone here ever in Nintendo Power?


noiseredux
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking thru old Nintendo Powers, it got me wondering. Every month there were letters published, artwork, people sending in their high score in the early days... and I started wondering what ever happened to all these people? Surely, some must have grown up and continued with the hobby. So just curious if anyone here was ever published in NP in some form. If so, share your moment of glory with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a questioned answered for Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I wrote to them because I could not figure out how to get past a certain point (this was long before the internent and there was no way my parents would let me call the hot line) The cool thing is that they actually sent me a letter detailing how to get past the trouble I was having, then i was in print in the following issue.

 

I also won a T-Shirt through the monthly contest. I wish I still had it. I was handed down to my brother then probably went to Goodwill. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zombiemicrowave said:

I had a questioned answered for Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I wrote to them because I could not figure out how to get past a certain point (this was long before the internent and there was no way my parents would let me call the hot line) The cool thing is that they actually sent me a letter detailing how to get past the trouble I was having, then i was in print in the following issue.

 

I also won a T-Shirt through the monthly contest. I wish I still had it. I was handed down to my brother then probably went to Goodwill. 

That is pretty cool.

So, would you say that Nintendo gave you the Power? 😆

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Regarding writing Nintendo/Nintendo Power, I was never published but I did write them a couple of times trying to get published.  I mention that because looking back, I am quite impressed.  I must have been one of hundreds of kids that wrote in each month and they actually mailed me back a response with specific answers.  These weren't form letters--someone actually researched my question and answered them every time.

They don't make'm make customer service like they use too!

Edited by RH
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

I still would like to know whatever became of Chris Houlihan (the LttP secret room guy).  There is this interview from one of two North American guys who got forever immortalized in MegaMan 6! 🙂  Now if only we knew what became of the other one, Michael Leader (not to be confused with Michael Landon obviously)...

http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2014/6/16/interview-with-a-robot-master-creator

But yeah, to be forever immortalized in a historic blue chip game like LttP or MegaMan 6 would be so awesome 🙂   Or even done indirectly like the one who made the Guns 'N Roses names in MegaMan X5 in honor of her GnR fan husband 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
12 minutes ago, phart010 said:

My brother has a high score posted in Nintendo Power. It was either Yoshis Island or Mario Kart 64, cant remember.

Richard Hart

Interesting... 100% of your brother's name is in my name.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
6 hours ago, Link said:

NWC finalist Robin Mihara posted on NA. Howard Phillips showed up there a couple of times.

Wasn't Thor on there very briefly?

Oh, and I definitely remember Robert Whiteman, winner of the 18+ category came on asking how much his NWC might go for, even though he wasn't actually selling it.

Edited by Tulpa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Did any of you get those elusive Power Stamps for posting high scores?  I mean that must've took some real skill not to mention you had to do it soon after the game's release.  Of course those of you who did send in for them always remembered to take a picture of both the score on the screen that's at least semi-readable and your console to prove there's no cheating device on it? 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
51 minutes ago, Link said:

I think he was but it was before my time. Robin stuck around and posted semi-regularly. 

I just remember seeing a post from him in the selling forum. I can't even remember if it was current then or if I stumbled upon it through a random search. I just remember thinking, "Whoa, Thor," and moving on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wrote to and received letters back from Nintendo Power back when I had a subscription to the magazine during it's early years. The magazine wasn't readily available at the very few book stores which stocked a magazine wrack back then so a subscription was the only way I could get Nintendo Power. Filing out that card and then having my Grandmother call on the phone to confirm I was signed up was so awesome to me as a kid back then. I got a free copy of Dragon Warrior with my subscription too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
15 hours ago, Shawn said:

I wrote to and received letters back from Nintendo Power back when I had a subscription to the magazine during it's early years. The magazine wasn't readily available at the very few book stores which stocked a magazine wrack back then so a subscription was the only way I could get Nintendo Power. Filing out that card and then having my Grandmother call on the phone to confirm I was signed up was so awesome to me as a kid back then. I got a free copy of Dragon Warrior with my subscription too!

Oh yes; I read about that promo!  Remember in those days a new NES game could easily (if you adjust to inflation) be at or near $100!  I even remember getting a year's subscription just to get the Zelda Collector's Edition disc...I still have it of course.  I mean why not?  It was like paying $20 for a "Zelda All-Stars [not counting the handheld ones]" and getting the magazines for free!  Or vice versa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
4 hours ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

Don't want to name any names or anything, but I do know a fellow artist from NA that was in an issue of Nintendo Power. 

Overall, I think it's pretty cool to read a video game magazine about some peeps, then being able to talk to them like three decades later. lol 

Not these kind of Peeps right? 😄 

peeps-shutterstock_184164257-800x450.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, Estil said:

Oh yes; I read about that promo!  Remember in those days a new NES game could easily (if you adjust to inflation) be at or near $100!  I even remember getting a year's subscription just to get the Zelda Collector's Edition disc...I still have it of course.  I mean why not?  It was like paying $20 for a "Zelda All-Stars [not counting the handheld ones]" and getting the magazines for free!  Or vice versa.

 

Correct, Dragon Warrior was one of the most expensive games at that time. Thing is, I didn' t know I was getting the game as I had no clue about the promotion. My first issue just came with a brand new game and I was happy as a pig in shit 🙂  As for yourself getting the Zelda disc? That just goes to show how long that magazine was in production.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Correct, Dragon Warrior was one of the most expensive games at that time. Thing is, I didn' t know I was getting the game as I had no clue about the promotion. My first issue just came with a brand new game and I was happy as a pig in shit 🙂  As for yourself getting the Zelda disc? That just goes to show how long that magazine was in production.

I still would've loved very much to have been a subscriber back in its NES days...no matter, with the help of RetroMags I can relive those days whenever I want and not have to worry about wrecking the real magazines (if I ever do get around to collecting them).

Now if only someone would have the heart to do an online archive of Highlights for Children as well as Sport (NOT Sports Illustrated!) magazine...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...