IGNORED

Do you hold reset while turning the power off?

Cepp

Just wondering if anyone actually does this. I pulled out Ultima 3 to play on my NES the other day, deleted the old saves from the previous owner and got myself accustomed to the menus and gameplay. It saved/loaded without issue.

Yesterday I encountered a graphical glitch while playing so I turned my NES off by just pressing the power button like I've always done. I then turned it back on and my save was gone!

Could turning it off without holding reset have cause the saves to wipe? Or is it more likely just the battery finally giving out? 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'm pretty sure it's an NES only feature. Maybe that's why they called it the Super Nintendo?

No idea I always thought the SNES was the same as the NES. Maybe it was something that was a habit from playing NES then when I got my SNES I just kept doing it.

I think the story was from Nintendo that the NES as it was designed had no fault protection from any random jolts sent back to the cart, and by holding reset before flipping the switch acted like a work around barrier.

Reality though is that I've done it on 2 games maybe 3 times ever on the system, and guess what?  Each time it ERASED MY GAME, quite the opposite.  I learned my lesson never to do that again, and I haven't, and those fails were in the period so it wasn't a crusty battery.

In your case I'd guess old battery though.

I've erased saves before, so yes.  What I heard was that when you power off the system it shuts the video chip down first, and that causes a small voltage spike across the cart pins.  It doesn't hurt the cart, but will disable the battery for a few nanoseconds, erasing the cart ram.  Holding reset supposedly cuts this circuit, allowing the console to shut down without sending a voltage spike to the cart.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Estil said:

I never felt the need to do that holding reset down.  In the early days of 'flash carts weren't you supposed to do some sort of weird thing like that to save properly?

Yeah the old junky powerpaks and early everdrive models (and still the cheapo version of the N64 one) you have to basically do an in game save like normal, then hit reset on the console, and then when the cart refreshes it then locks the save data into place on the SD card, and if you don't do this, you wasted all your time for nothing as everything you did is erased.

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah the old junky powerpaks and early everdrive models (and still the cheapo version of the N64 one) you have to basically do an in game save like normal, then hit reset on the console, and then when the cart refreshes it then locks the save data into place on the SD card, and if you don't do this, you wasted all your time for nothing as everything you did is erased.

Yeah that's why I didn't pay much mind to them at first.  It wasn't until they made virtually flawless ones that I finally took the plunge.  You know, like with all new tech, wait until all the kinks are worked out?  Same reason I'm not getting a Switch until the Switch Pro arrives.

While we're on that subject is the new N8 Pro worth the upgrade if you already have the regular N8?  Because The Artist Formerly Known As SD2SNES's Pro version doesn't offer hardly anything worthwhile at all 😞 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:14 AM, Estil said:

Yeah that's why I didn't pay much mind to them at first.  It wasn't until they made virtually flawless ones that I finally took the plunge.  You know, like with all new tech, wait until all the kinks are worked out?  Same reason I'm not getting a Switch until the Switch Pro arrives.

While we're on that subject is the new N8 Pro worth the upgrade if you already have the regular N8?  Because The Artist Formerly Known As SD2SNES's Pro version doesn't offer hardly anything worthwhile at all 😞 

Makes sense

And on that subject, nope.  The primary change there with that thing from what I recall is that it has a larger memory footprint to handle even larger games with larger custom mappers than the standard can handle.  The standard can not run the FF7 demake or the Pokemon Yellow GB to FC/NES conversion while they work on the Pro as it has the capacity for it.  The Pro is there where it can handle larger projects that can be yet to be conceived or the existing like the examples I gave.  I'm sure there are a little more this or that to it, but the core mapper and handling are virtually identical.   In a way it's like the SD2SNES to the Pro model, a bit more room from using new parts (as old got discontinued) and those new are a bit bigger so it can handle a game or two more and other optional stuff.

Also the N8 Pro has faster load times (not by much though) and more save states and can hold more files per folder, so there's that.  But yeah, The Artist Formerly Known As SD2SNES' Pro version doesn't seem to offer hardly anything at all.

Tell me more about that FF7 remake on the NES...is it actually complete unlike a certain other FF7 remake I know? 😛 

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Estil said:

Also the N8 Pro has faster load times (not by much though) and more save states and can hold more files per folder, so there's that.  But yeah, The Artist Formerly Known As SD2SNES' Pro version doesn't seem to offer hardly anything at all.

Tell me more about that FF7 remake on the NES...is it actually complete unlike a certain other FF7 remake I know? 😛 

Well actually, YES, an epic Chinese ripoff actually more completely and fairly ripped off the original source material for a basically complete conversion of the game.   You can read here, it actually got a lot of praise lumped on it for having the total game, a few obvious compromises, but the story and gameplay are intact which you can't say for this recreation slashed up sorta FF7 that dropped recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_(NES_video_game)