IGNORED

Mega SG + TV lag = mega frustration

acromite53

I was playing a few shoot em ups with the Mega SG on our Samsung 4k tv. The lag was killing my enjoyment. Yes it was on game mode. Does lag free gaming exist on flat screens? Not in my experience. This blows. 

Precision is absolutely necessary for shooters which is my favorite game type. NOTHING beats CRTs lag free. If you dont notice the lag, you are kidding yourself or my tv sucks.

Sorry! Had to vent. I'll do more testing again on the weekend. Maybe it's not so bad once you adapt to it.

Edited by acromite53
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Yep fully aware it's the tv causing the extra processing lag or whatever. Yeah these retro hdmi consoles are wonderfully designed. But they play like s*** on my tv. 

I understand, and fully agree. The title just reads like it's a criticism of the Mega Sg, which is unfair.

• Like 1

What controller do you use?  Gamemode and 2.4ghz or wired made a nice difference over game mode off & Bluetooth.  That's with two different TVs so far. One Samsung and an LG.

6 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

The console is definitely not the cause, it's your TV. My 4K TCL is also causing a lagfest with all of my retro consoles, whether through OSSC or FPGA consoles.

RetroRGB did a video on some of the TCL TVs. He mentioned additional settisng in the Roku app that could be disabled to help gaming.  Not sure if your model applies but wouldn't hurt to try. A number of the TCLs were highly recommended for retro games and yours might be one of them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

RetroRGB did a video on some of the TCL TVs. He mentioned additional settisng in the Roku app that could be disabled to help gaming.  Not sure if your model applies but wouldn't hurt to try. A number of the TCLs were highly recommended for retro games and yours might be one of them.

Dude, that's the reason I bought the TV! But lo and behold, I got the European version (since I'm in Europe), and wouldn't you know... It runs on some shitty Android version instead of Roku. Basically, it's lag galore!

Lesson learned, the next time I'm doing even more research before throwing down money on any TV.

I feel bad for you, it shouldn't be any worse than playing like straight on a PC with a screen of the sort.  I learned that lesson back in my NA days when the Wii was king with Super Mario Allstars.  I thought this Samsung of mine wasn't the problem that Nintendo coded garbage or farmed it out, it took getting a 2nd copy from a NA member due to a joke comment I made to realize it was a garbage TV.  I started using displaylag.com ever since and I've not had the problem anymore...shooters, music, Tyson...doable.  Those internal processors with/without game mode can be murder due to poor (or not) design.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Dude, that's the reason I bought the TV! But lo and behold, I got the European version (since I'm in Europe), and wouldn't you know... It runs on some shitty Android version instead of Roku. Basically, it's lag galore!

Lesson learned, the next time I'm doing even more research before throwing down money on any TV.

That's rough. I did the same with a the previous TV. Thankfully it was serviceable but had I done a bit more research I would have made a different choice.

Some flat screens are worse than others but I've never had or played on one that matches a CRT. Flatscreens usually handle HDMI pretty well but any other input there is typically processing that really makes older consoles unplayable. Even with a good flatscreen on game mode you'll always be missing a few frames at the very least. It's very frustrating which is why I just keep a good CRT around. To me there is still nothing that quite compares even with all the options available with emulation now. 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2020 at 2:00 AM, ErickRPG said:

my 940e is 24ms which is pretty darn good by LED standards.  But with how popular retro gaming is some company should start making small CRT's again.  Something along the lines of Sony's PVMs.

Or, Prysm should make a standard def LPD and then we can have the best of both worlds. Thinner, lighter, raster scanning, phosphor glow, no input lag, low energy consumption, and a much cleaner manufacturing process. But I'd be cool with a new CRT too.

• 1 month later...

@acromite53

I also use a Samsung 4k tv (I forget the exact model name, but it's a 55in QLED model about 2 years old) with my Mega SG, and lag has not been an issue for me. You mentioned that you have game mode on, so that's good. There are a number of picture settings that you can adjust which may help. Now, I can't confirm if your model has the same settings options as mine, but I'll go over what I use just in case. 

Go to picture settings in the menu and enter the expert settings. If you scroll down, you may see options for "digital clean view" and "auto motion plus settings." If you have those options, turn them completely off. These add interpolation and can contribute to the "soap opera effect."

Check the model number of your set and look on sites such as AVForums, cnet, Rtings, Tom's Guide for additional help with the picture settings. One or more of these sites likely has the optimal settings or answers to any questions you have about the set.

Additionally, what controller are you using? I use the 8bitdo M30 2.4g controller, but they also make a bluetooth model which has significantly more lag.

spacer.png

Perhaps this is contributing to your issue? Have you tried using a standard wired Genesis controller to see if that helps?

5 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

what if you use a gaming monitor intended for pc gaming? are those any better for using consoles such as an avs concerning input lag?

I have no experience using one with an AVS, but in theory, the lag should be significantly lower than that of a TV which isn't optimized for gaming. I say this because modern televisions have numerous settings intended for watching movies and live action television which a gaming monitor does not have. That's not to say that you can't adjust most televisions to optimize them as good as you can for gaming, but those interpolation features meant to make live sports look smoother and adjust for the different FPS of movies on film vs live television wouldn't even come into play with a gaming monitor, and these settings are usually at least partially responsible for gaming lag.

• Like 1