IGNORED

Anybody know what happened to DreamTR from Nintendo age? Prototype thread!

Back in the Nintendo age days there was no one better to deal with then DreamTR when it came to buying prototypes.

Now that Nintendo age is dead does anyone know what happened to him?  

i have a itch to buy a prototype and I’d love to buy one from him or another well know legitimate prototype person.

Whats the market for prototypes these days? Back in the day around 7 years ago you could grab a decent snes prototype for like $125-$350ish. ( not including unreleased or rare games of course) 

You can show off or brag about what prototypes you have or have had! 

Edited by Neo Geo strong

Prototypes do sell quite a bit higher than in the past at least in auctions. Even some random/unpopular titles still fetch a couple hundred. I still haven't been able to get one in my budget in recent years as they always sell for so much now and most are coming from international countries, so that extra shipping adds on. I did remember getting a lot of them for around $100 many years ago, so the market has increased greatly since then. As with DreamTR/Jason, he is still active on eBay and even selling a couple of prototypes right now.

4 hours ago, Neo Geo strong said:

Back in the Nintendo age days there was no one better to deal with then DreamTR when it came to buying prototypes.

Now that Nintendo age is dead does anyone know what happened to him?  

i have a itch to buy a prototype and I’d love to buy one from him or another well know legitimate prototype person.

Whats the market for prototypes these days? Back in the day around 7 years ago you could grab a decent snes prototype for like $125-$350ish. ( not including unreleased or rare games of course) 

You can show off or brag about what prototypes you have or have had! 

https://www.obscuregamers.com

is a great place for prototypes! I tried to get stuff started here but no one cares lol. They said no one posts about prototypes.... it’s just not as widely collected and honestly I don’t think many feel comfortable buying. 

1 hour ago, Skorp said:

Prototypes do sell quite a bit higher than in the past at least in auctions. Even some random/unpopular titles still fetch a couple hundred. I still haven't been able to get one in my budget in recent years as they always sell for so much now and most are coming from international countries, so that extra shipping adds on. I did remember getting a lot of them for around $100 many years ago, so the market has increased greatly since then. As with DreamTR/Jason, he is still active on eBay and even selling a couple of prototypes right now.

do you happen to have a link @Skorp?

52 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

The last post I remember from him on NintendoAge was something like "Sticker seals sell for what?" then he put a bunch up at ridiculous BINs on Ebay, lol.

He wheels and deals pinball machines on Pinside pretty regularly too.

You know the funny thing about that is dream set so many price ranges with his sales and with the amount of stuff he collected to be late to this hype and then clean up hahah. 

12 hours ago, Romiked2689 said:

I tried to get stuff started here but no one cares lol. They said no one posts about prototypes.... it’s just not as widely collected and honestly I don’t think many feel comfortable buying. 

I mean, I care, I think they’re interesting. I like to read about them if you want to post. Maybe there’s not enough discussion fodder to warrant a dedicated subforum, I would get that. And they’re beyond my games budget. 

20 minutes ago, Link said:

I mean, I care, I think they’re interesting. I like to read about them if you want to post. Maybe there’s not enough discussion fodder to warrant a dedicated subforum, I would get that. And they’re beyond my games budget. 

There should be an area dedicated for prototypes 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Romiked2689 said:

https://www.obscuregamers.com

is a great place for prototypes! I tried to get stuff started here but no one cares lol. They said no one posts about prototypes.... it’s just not as widely collected and honestly I don’t think many feel comfortable buying. 

I imagine it's less a morality thing, and more nobody wanting to, say, spend hundreds to get a slightly different prototype of Blues Brothers 64(one of the worst), let alone thousands for the good stuff.

Events Helper · Posted

I would be interested to see/read about prototypes, but I can in no way afford anything that pricey right now.  I am looking to buy games I played and enjoyed, or experience ones I wanted to as a kid.  If that becomes "finished" for me then I could dabble in the prototype scene eventually.  The more I see of them, the more interesting they seem.......why a long cart for n64 or gameboy?  Was that just something they did?  I think it would be cool to have something early on for a game, not something close to retail.  But therein, i am sure they are way higher the earlier they are......maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't mind learning while I collect other stuff 🙂 

23 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I would be interested to see/read about prototypes, but I can in no way afford anything that pricey right now.  I am looking to buy games I played and enjoyed, or experience ones I wanted to as a kid.  If that becomes "finished" for me then I could dabble in the prototype scene eventually.  The more I see of them, the more interesting they seem.......why a long cart for n64 or gameboy?  Was that just something they did?  I think it would be cool to have something early on for a game, not something close to retail.  But therein, i am sure they are way higher the earlier they are......maybe I am wrong, but I wouldn't mind learning while I collect other stuff 🙂 

if you play your cards right/get lucky, not all of them are expensive. Some are very affordable.

I've gotten a couple for 50$(technically) and others were 175$ and yet others were about $1500, and others were obnoxiously overpriced at 50,000$-500,000. so it really just depends on what you want.

I started documenting them, so that's the predominant reason for my collecting them.

Edited by kuriatsu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Actually nes and snes would have long boards also compared to the retail releases. Snes they would just chop up the top so it’d fit. Nes well most nes games are small in those big carts. 

also earlier is always the best stuff and top of the price range 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Romiked2689 said:

There should be an area dedicated for prototypes 

ok, well, good luck with that. I was trying to be encouraging but your flat statement without detailing the justification doesn’t help. I think it would be silly if there’s not much content. Most forums are happy to create a new section, when warranted by a sufficient mass of posts on such topic. So, fluff up the discussion generate more interest and make your case, I’m sure Gloves et al would be happy to create it if it would be somewhat lively. Meanwhile, it fits easily under collecting category, and we have tags and clubs here. 

1 hour ago, Link said:

ok, well, good luck with that. I was trying to be encouraging but your flat statement without detailing the justification doesn’t help. I think it would be silly if there’s not much content. Most forums are happy to create a new section, when warranted by a sufficient mass of posts on such topic. So, fluff up the discussion generate more interest and make your case, I’m sure Gloves et al would be happy to create it if it would be somewhat lively. Meanwhile, it fits easily under collecting category, and we have tags and clubs here. 

Dude Nintendoage had a great section of prototype stuff how is something that is niche but still very important. I have zero time interest in fluffing up this site so that people can realize what they are neglecting?

i asked gloves when this first started about this and the thing is most prototype collectors don’t wanna be bothered about them so on average we are private. 

oh don’t forget all the hype around a prototype right now... 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

to the tune of 300k ya?

It’ll go up way higher they have like a live online auction block. I mean yeah I want that thing but it just shows how important the development of these games are! 

everyone loves sealed cardboard that was sold at retail. I love stuff that was ordered to trashed/ returned to the company!same note let’s chat about them but not drive the price up more:p 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, Code Monkey said:

The best? The Nolans had way more prototypes and better selection too.

I don't think there was a competition ever for people with protos. My counts on cart when I was collecting were well over 1,200. 450 NES protos among those. I had 2,000 or so disk betas as well. I got rid of a lot of my stuff years ago. Lately everyone has been asking me for protos for some reason though. I still have some stuff but I don't think anyone ever tried to be the "best" proto collector lol

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DreamTR said:

I don't think there was a competition ever for people with protos. My counts on cart when I was collecting were well over 1,200. 450 NES protos among those. I had 2,000 or so disk betas as well. I got rid of a lot of my stuff years ago. Lately everyone has been asking me for protos for some reason though. I still have some stuff but I don't think anyone ever tried to be the "best" proto collector lol

The “best” proto collector out there is the people without any😁