IGNORED

Connecting a Nintendo Wii to a 4K monitor

BortLicensePlate

So I just purchased a Nintendo wii that I want to use as a gamecube as well as an emulation machine. I have a 4K monitor with only HDMI in. What is the best way to hook this thing up? My initial thought was get some component cables and an adapter to convert it to HDMI, but I'm seeing tons of hdmi adapters that plug directly into the Wii. Also not sure if upscaling is necessary, as far as I know 480p plays a lot nicer than 240p with HD tvs. But I'm not sure if the fact that it's a 4k display changes anything. I dont care if the image displays in 4k, I'm just looking for a solution that is affordable and doesnt look like ass.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

The TV will upscale anything not already at its native resolution. How good that will be depends on the TV.

You can try an adapter, and then an outboard scaler/converter if the results of the adapter aren't up to par. Just depends on how much trial and error you want to go through.

3 hours ago, Abelardo said:

I'd try this:

Wii Component Video output -> Open Source Scan Converter -> HDMI

https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc.html

I am aware of the ossc, was just hoping not to invest in one yet. Figured the wii as an emulator box would tide me over until I got one

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The TV will upscale anything not already at its native resolution. How good that will be depends on the TV.

You can try an adapter, and then an outboard scaler/converter if the results of the adapter aren't up to par. Just depends on how much trial and error you want to go through.

Yeah I think I'm going to cross my fingers and hope a standard adapter does a reasonable job. I dont need it to be perfect, just something that works for now

RetroRGB is my go to for this stuff: https://www.retrorgb.com/wii.html

Looks like high quality component cables are fairly cheap ($30) and then you would have to find an adapter from component to HDMI. This should get you a better result then composite, and then you can upgrade the adapter to an ossc later if you decide to go all in. But I don't have any experience with using component to HDMI adapters so you should probably do a little more research on them. 

I would try whatever component cables you can get your hands on and see what your monitor does with that before investing in anything else. I wouldn't even bother with high end, just get something to try. 

IIRC you need to enable progressive output from the wii's menu after it's connected via component. 

OSSC or Retrotink would be my go to if not modding.  If you are considering one down the road it might be worth just going for it now. Saves you having to get rid of left effective solutions down the road.

I went from component into the OSSC to the Wiidual internal mod myself.  Happy with both options.