IGNORED

Kickstarter: Return to Dark Tower

Yeah, I posted a link earlier in the other board game discussion.

The original was a really unique game experience, but no way I could justify what it costs for a decent working copy, given that playing it wears out the critical parts.

I am in for the full set.

Did the same with Fireball Island from the same developers.

Edited by arch_8ngel

3 hours ago, fox said:

Looks fantastic.  The original was pretty confusing and difficult, but a lot of fun.

Well, I really enjoyed their rework of the rules and gameplay for Fireball Island, so I have faith in their ability to make Dark Tower a better game than it originally was.

(also, this one was apparently designed by the guy that developed Gloomhaven)

2 minutes ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

This is a cool looking game, though this day in age I'm surprised there isn't a online version, as that would also be pretty sweet.

There is a bootleg rendition that was floating around a few years back (similar to the site where someone implemented all of the old LCD handhelds).

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

Is fireball island worth it. Didnt have the funds was in a living/job transition situation during backing but would like to buy it now. Are the expansions worth it. In particular the board expansions?

I have the full set from the Kickstarter and have not played the expansions yet, but the base game is better than the original, in terms of actual gameplay.

I specifically picked it all up so I could comfortably sell my original copy of the 90s version.  

Edit -- the box quality itself is disappointing, but I finally decided to shell out for the laser cut box from Broken Token when it was on a good sale.  Game components themselves are good quality, but the game board IS thinner material than the classic -- works well, it is just that since it is 3 small boards that build the full mountain the overall thickness can be lower than when the entire island is one monolithic piece.

I suspect Dark Tower will be similar, from a redesign standpoint, where a more modern revisitation of the rules and game development make a better version of the nostalgic classic...while let you free up a lot of capital by unloading the original 😛

Edited by arch_8ngel

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I have the full set from the Kickstarter and have not played the expansions yet, but the base game is better than the original, in terms of actual gameplay.

I specifically picked it all up so I could comfortably sell my original copy of the 90s version.  

Edit -- the box quality itself is disappointing, but I finally decided to shell out for the laser cut box from Broken Token when it was on a good sale.  Game components themselves are good quality, but the game board IS thinner material than the classic -- works well, it is just that since it is 3 small boards that build the full mountain the overall thickness can be lower than when the entire island is one monolithic piece.

I suspect Dark Tower will be similar, from a redesign standpoint, where a more modern revisitation of the rules and game development make a better version of the nostalgic classic...while let you free up a lot of capital by unloading the original 😛

i went ahead and got all of it. Will probably play just the base game first to appreaciate all the extra after. Ill probably pass on dark tower because it was before my time and never played the original. Fireball island was a little before my time since it came out the year I was born but I remember it and always wanted it. I saw on their facebook page, they are going to release keys to the kingdom. Ill definitely be getting that one. It wont be a kickstarter. Straight to retail.

37 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

i went ahead and got all of it. Will probably play just the base game first to appreaciate all the extra after. Ill probably pass on dark tower because it was before my time and never played the original. Fireball island was a little before my time since it came out the year I was born but I remember it and always wanted it. I saw on their facebook page, they are going to release keys to the kingdom. Ill definitely be getting that one. It wont be a kickstarter. Straight to retail.

The kinetic side of Fireball Island is quite a bit of fun, especially of you get younger kids playing with you.

It sort of had the same allure as the contraption from Mouse Trap with the extra fun of a game actually worth playing.

The old version of fireball Island is thoroughly playable, I just don't think the experience is worth anywhere near the $350 price of entry when an even better ruleset alternative cost 1/3 the price.

Dark Tower is one that I always wanted to own, but never committed to buying due to the issues with the electromechanical tower.

A friend of mine had a much older brother who owned Dark Tower, and it BARELY worked enough for us to try and play it a few times in the early 90s.

Since that time I put quite a few hours into the HTML version of the game online, and realized how unforgiving the original rules were.

Having a new version with a redesign of the rules (guy that did Gloomhaven) is pretty exciting to be able to share with my kids when they are a bit older.

And in the meantime it will be fun to play with my Heroquest group at work.

16 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Anyone care to give a brief rundown on return to dark tower. How its different than the original? What kind of game it is? Id never heard of it, but it looks neat. Kind of pricey going into something I have no idea on what Im getting into.(unlike Fireball island)

I assume the rules will be rewritten for better play balance and to generally be more fun than the original (like with the rerelease of fireball Island).

The original is a sort of competitive RPG where up to four heroes from four kingdoms are trying to win (don't recall the exact win criteria, but it involves visiting various settlements, collecting resources, and combat).

Classically, the combat was controlled by the Dark Tower, an electromechanical computer that stands in the middle of the board.

In the new version, some of that is moved to a companion app, but the tower still appears to feature prominently.

But the RPG gameplay appears to be considerably more involved if you want it to be, making for a deeper get than the original.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I assume the rules will be rewritten for better play balance and to generally be more fun than the original (like with the rerelease of fireball Island).

The original is a sort of competitive RPG where up to four heroes from four kingdoms are trying to win (don't recall the exact win criteria, but it involves visiting various settlements, collecting resources, and combat).

Classically, the combat was controlled by the Dark Tower, an electromechanical computer that stands in the middle of the board.

In the new version, some of that is moved to a companion app, but the tower still appears to feature prominently.

But the RPG gameplay appears to be considerably more involved if you want it to be, making for a deeper get than the original.

I would expect an extensive amount of story/RPG elements since Isaac Childress is a co-designer...This will be on most Gloomhaven-lovers' radar which is probably the reason it has been so successfully backed...

• Like 1

I bought Fireball Island and enjoyed it, but I was a huge fan of the original (unfortunately I don't know what happened to my copy. I assume my parents got rid of it, although they claim they didn't).  The Dark Tower also looks really cool, but I just don't think I can swing that high of a price tag again, especially for a game I don't have a personal connection.

5 hours ago, G-type said:

I bought Fireball Island and enjoyed it, but I was a huge fan of the original (unfortunately I don't know what happened to my copy. I assume my parents got rid of it, although they claim they didn't).  The Dark Tower also looks really cool, but I just don't think I can swing that high of a price tag again, especially for a game I don't have a personal connection.

Same. Cant wait till next years keys to the kingdom release

43 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

That is definitely the issue with tabletop games. I have far too much money in my board game collection for the amount of actual playing time I get in.

I try to mitigate this by only buying games I am reasonably confident I can flip down the line if I want to make space...