IGNORED

New Arcade1up leaks from CES 2020

trj22487

Getting a new PCB isn't "repairing" anything (you can get a new PCB of any original arcade game as well, also forgoing the concept of repairing entirely). But I guess we are arguing semantics. My original point still stands, and it really doesn't make a difference at the end of the day. 🙂 I don't think anyone gets an arcade1up because they are sick of repairing arcade PCBs.

It definitely makes a difference in terms of pinball, which requires almost insane amounts of maintenance to own - but honestly video pinball and physical pinball will always be two entirely different things.

Edited by Sumez

9 hours ago, G-type said:

Attack from Mars is one of my favorite pins, but I wouldn't never be able to afford or fit the real thing in my house... I want this bad!

If Attack from Mars (they said they want at least 10 tables) has Monster Bash and  Cirqus Voltaire I think I'd buy it day one.  Those are 2 of my absolute favorite Williams games.  I played them so much on pinball arcade.  Would be awesome to own them as a virtual pinball machine.  If they are doing only Midway then I either hope they let you buy tables for any machine you own or just hope for a Williams announce at E3.

Edited by ErickRPG

27 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

If Attack from Mars (they said they want at least 10 tables) has Monster Bash and  Cirqus Voltaire I think I'd buy it day one.  Those are 2 of my absolute favorite Williams games.  I played them so much on pinball arcade.  Would be awesome to own them as a virtual pinball machine.  If they are doing only Midway then I either hope they let you buy tables for any machine you own or just hope for a Williams announce at E3.

I don't think it will include Monster Bash, as I believe they are doing a separate machine for Universal licenses. 

Some of my other favorite Williams machines are Theatre of Magic, Funhouse, and Medieval Madness (even though its somewhat of a pallete swap for Attack from Mars)

33 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

The device is running Zen pinball, right?

Presumably it would only be directly capable of supporting tables that are programmed into that software.

I'm sure the modding community will get it supporting other virtual pinball software, though, fairly quickly.

It's funny what can change over night.  On Wednesday, I was in my local Wal-Mart and I always take a quick stroll through the video game section just in case anything is marked down or on sale.  I noticed a hand full of Arcade 1Up machines, but everything was regular price.  I ended up needing to return something, so I was also in the same store Thursday night and they had the same Arcade 1Up machines marked down to $199, and they had a new pallet of them sitting out in the isle.  The $199 sale included the Final Fight cab which was tempting, but I already own two and if I get one more, I'm pretty sure it will be the Turtles Arcade / Turtles in Time cab (which is my all time favorite two arcade games).  

1 hour ago, G-type said:

I don't think it will include Monster Bash, as I believe they are doing a separate machine for Universal licenses. 

Some of my other favorite Williams machines are Theatre of Magic, Funhouse, and Medieval Madness (even though its somewhat of a pallete swap for Attack from Mars)

I do like Funhouse and Taxi quite a bit.  I guess I'll have to see overall what tables come with that cab.  If they announce a Universal Cab with Monster Bash as the hero game and cabinet art, then I will 100% wait to get that one.

Edited by ErickRPG

2 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

Virtual pin?    Barf.   I'll just play them on my PS4.

3 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

Yeah I could just keep that TMNT in attract mode just to listen to that intro song.  Such nostalgia.  Would make me feel like I'm back in the arcade again.  Def a great price for that cab.

The TMNT cabs were $299 on Black Friday, but I never go shopping on those days.  Even though they were announced at $399 at launch, I always see them for $350.  Even though it seems like a fair deal, I still don't want to pay that much right now.  

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

The device is running Zen pinball, right?

Presumably it would only be directly capable of supporting tables that are programmed into that software.

I'm sure the modding community will get it supporting other virtual pinball software, though, fairly quickly.

Yeah I'm going to be keeping an eye on that VERY closely.  The thing for me is just get that machine that has the art I like the most.  And use that as my mod unit.

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

The TMNT cabs were $299 on Black Friday, but I never go shopping on those days.  Even though they were announced at $399 at launch, I always see them for $350.  Even though it seems like a fair deal, I still don't want to pay that much right now.  

Me either for that cab even though I love the game.  After seeing Golden Axe and the built in scanlines.  Looks so much better.

33 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Virtual pin?    Barf.   I'll just play them on my PS4.

Nah, sure Virtual Pinball is nothing compared to a real table.

But let's not pretend that playing with a controller on a widescreen TV, which requires the camera to follow the ball around the table, is going to be anywhere near as good of an experience as a vertically oriented screen of the same aspect ratio that displays the entire play field at once and has a more authentic "feel" for control input.

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

But let's not pretend that playing with a controller on a widescreen TV, which requires the camera to follow the ball around the table, is going to be anywhere near as good of an experience as a vertically oriented screen of the same aspect ratio that displays the entire play field at once and has a more authentic "feel" for control input.

Agreed.  While I will admit that I'm not personally interested in the Arcade 1Up pinball machines, I'm still happy to see these exist.  And I would classify them as somewhere in between "virtual" pinball, and a real table.  

42 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

To the bolded- not with the view I use.

And I don't disagree that the virtual is a step up from the TV, but I already own a real table.   To scratch my Attack from Mars and other awesome tables itch, I'll just pop in the PS4 version that I wisely bought all the table packs before they got pulled.

Of course real pinball is and always will be better.  But this is about getting a somewhat authentic feel (or I could just say, replicaded feel) of how pinball is intended to be played.  If you can get that in the house for $599, or dare I say even $499?  Then it's an exciting proposition.  Playing the real sport is always more fun, but that doesn't make Golden Tee any less fun as a video golf game.  I never get these purists telling people do only enjoy things the exact way they play them.  Or maybe they just want to remind people how they are the ones playing the right way.  Video games are about fun.  And I intend to have fun playing my 3/4 virtual pinball machine.

For $99 maybe, but $499 sounds a little steep for a simulation IMO.

I've had a ton of fun playing virtual pinball, and even as a fan of the real deal I think the simulations have a ton of merit, especially in terms of exploring what's out there, playing without discrimination, and getting into the rules of the more complex tables.

But dropping such a huge amount of money on a simulation seems a little crazy. I'd definitely go with the "TV versions" then.

Edited by Sumez

I don't see it being less than $499.  Vertical and Horizontal board, 24"? screen, haptic motors, dmd screen, backlit, possible accelerometers.  I would like it to be $199 but they want to make money so.  I am their target audience.  People with a little desposable income that maybe never played virtual pin before and what a quick easy solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, ErickRPG said:

I don't see it being less than $499.  Vertical and Horizontal board, 24"? screen, haptic motors, dmd screen, backlit, possible accelerometers.  I would like it to be $199 but they want to make money so.  I am their target audience.  People with a little desposable income that maybe never played virtual pin before and what a quick easy solution.

if the starwars arcade is $499, I think its pretty safe to bet that this is the absolutely lowest the starwars pin would be.. more likely more.

I probably will be on board once I can fully mod it to be my visual pin machine and waiting to see how much it will cost and how hard it will be to mod it.  The "home arcade" hobby is getting really popular.  I just pre-ordered the atgames legends ultimate that can run pretty much any <'00 mame roms as simply as prepping a USB stick.  Perhaps some company, some how, will create a more affordable virtual pin machine that makes it easier to have a virtual pin in your own home.  Right now it's a lot of work (OR money) to get it working properly.

Edited by ErickRPG