IGNORED

New Arcade1up leaks from CES 2020

trj22487

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

(there seems to be quite the mod-scene for these devices, but cost-wise, a full refit ends up costing the same or more as a full sized cabinet unless you get the Arcade 1-up devices on clearance)

The thing that has surprised me the most is that the modding community has had no problems with refitting the Arcade 1Up cabinets (new ROMs, controls, and external graphics) and reselling them for sometimes $400 or $500.  When people start to spend that kind of money, I figured they would prefer to start looking at real arcade cabinets.  However, many people enjoy the idea of a smaller cabinet that they can pickup and move by themselves whenever they want.  The size ended up being a much bigger deal than I ever imagined.  

53 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The thing that has surprised me the most is that the modding community has had no problems with refitting the Arcade 1Up cabinets (new ROMs, controls, and external graphics) and reselling them for sometimes $400 or $500.  When people start to spend that kind of money, I figured they would prefer to start looking at real arcade cabinets.  However, many people enjoy the idea of a smaller cabinet that they can pickup and move by themselves whenever they want.  The size ended up being a much bigger deal than I ever imagined.  

Well, there is a pretty big difference between shipping and moving a < 70 lb device and something that weights multiple hundreds of pounds and barely fits through a door.

yeah size is a big deal.  Compared with the fact that arcades use CRT and there is additional worry of repair or hassle tracking down replacements.  These are small, light weight, quick to build.  AND modable if you wish.  It will be much cheaper to get an arcade1up pinball and mod it to a visual pinball machine than buying all of the parts to build your own full size visual pinball machine.

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

These are $500 CAD here so I imagine they must be $400 USD there. Are they cheaper somewhere else?

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

These are $500 CAD here so I imagine they must be $400 USD there. Are they cheaper somewhere else?

I was talking about modded Arcade 1Up cabs.  This was back when the original round of cabinets were discounted down to between $70 US and $150 US.  The modders were buying those and changing out everything and reselling them for between $400 and $500 all day.  

The normal selling price is usually around $300 US for the regular units and $350 US for the bigger ones with included risers.  Sometimes you see sales, but now that they seem to have figured out the demand, they don't discount them as much.  

these new cabs will be $400 day one prob eventually discounted to $250 - $300 but I gotta say the quality seems to be going up.  Better screens, better sticks and buttons.  Look at the build in scanlines on goldenaxe for example, and now virtual pinball.  They are upping there game for sure.

And I gotta say, while I do like the idea of modding with like 300+ arcade games.  They seem to be raising the amount of games in each cab.  Look at the old pacman with 2 games.  The new one looks better, and has like 6 pacman games and galaga.  I think they are going the right route with trying to increase the number of built in options for each cab.  Heck even golden tee is going to include a bowling game now.  Sweet.

5 hours ago, Teh_Lurv said:

John D of A1U clarified the current situation with the rights on the NBA Jam cabinet:

I wonder which players. No doubt it's a huge pain for them to try to get the rights, which is why I'm surprised they've done as well as they have with those numbers. Hope they can lock down the last few...

I'm way too hyped for this things.  I already am intent on getting a golden tee + ssb and Attack from Mars pinball.  Understand I don't have any of these yet so I'm salivating to get one into my home.  Those 2 games both have unique controls (they aren't standard button arcade games) So I'm even more hyped to get into it.

Cooltoy posted this fantastic video of NBA Jam showing off the options menus in detail, look at all that stuff you can do! Amazing!
He also scrolls through the rosters for each team to show NOBODY is missing in the CES version, which means that ANYBODY is off the table if 1up says that can't get the rights to three guys. I'm nervous. But look at this thing!!! I can't believe the online mode will be free!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

there is additional worry of repair or hassle tracking down replacements. 

I'd say repairing a real arcade cabinet is always gonna be a lot easier than repairing an arcade1up 😛
But in this context I guess the point is that they're essentially disposable and easy to replace completely.

That said, if they're truly gonna retail for $400, that price ruins the primary argument going for them. Waiting for a clearance sale/price drop must be the way to go. 🙂 I've seen the older ones sold for absurdly cheap.

17 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'd say repairing a real arcade cabinet is always gonna be a lot easier than repairing an arcade1up 😛
But in this context I guess the point is that they're essentially disposable and easy to replace completely.

That said, if they're truly gonna retail for $400, that price ruins the primary argument going for them. Waiting for a clearance sale/price drop must be the way to go. 🙂 I've seen the older ones sold for absurdly cheap.

I think it's more of a hassle.  But if you can be patient and buy last years version sure that could save you some dough.  Arcade1up has the ease of moving size and weight advantage, and easy of entry for casuals.  I'm not gonna compare myself to a pinball or arcade fanatic that is willing to put in the time researching, chatting, and tracking down specific things you need.  Arcade1up has the casual plug and play element too.  I truly believe these are marketed to people like me unwilling to go the extra mile to build or buy a heavy arcade or pinball cab.

28 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm curious why you think that is.  You can replace Arcade 1Up parts with real arcade parts, so party availability is the same between the two.  I suppose that real arcade cabinets are might be setup to be serviced more easily, but you still have the advantage with Arcade 1Up cabinets that they are smaller and lighter and easier to manipulate.  

Because it's a modern tiny mini-computer where no individual components can be easily replaced. It's replace the whole thing or bust.

Regarding buttons etc. those can of course be individually replaced. Can you fit standard Sanwa or Seimitsu parts into them btw?

Edited by Sumez

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

Because it's a modern tiny mini-computer where no individual components can be easily replaced. It's replace the whole thing or bust.

Regarding buttons etc. those can of course be individually replaced. Can you fit standard Sanwa or Seimitsu parts into them btw?

The modding community on Facebook could answer those questions better than I could, but from what I've seen, replacing internals is really no problem.  

Like I said before, most of the modders are replacing EVERYTHING, to the point that they are just buying these for the external shell of the cabinet as crazy as that might sound.

2 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I think you're making it sound a lot harder than it really is.

It being a modern mini-computer makes repair/replacement of internals easier, not harder.

Add to that the ease of swapping an LCD versus CRT-repair and maintenance.

The rest of the hardware can all be swapped same as an arcade machine.

Just now, TDIRunner said:

Like I said before, most of the modders are replacing EVERYTHING, to the point that they are just buying these for the external shell of the cabinet as crazy as that might sound.

Yeah, they are leveraging the cheap pre-fab "box".

They don't care about the mini-computer that came with it, when they will just be adding their own dedicated MAME machine.

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, they are leveraging the cheap pre-fab "box".

They don't care about the mini-computer that came with it, when they will just be adding their own dedicated MAME machine.

And to clarify one more time, when I say they are just buying the shell of the cabinet, I mean JUST the shell.  They aren't even keeping the original graphics on the outside of the cabinet.  

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

lol it's just a board the size of an NES cartridge board hooked to a ribbon and screen. Nothing else is in there. Yes you can fit Sanwa stuff in. The limited edition cabs like the Marvel Super Heroes came with Sanwa as stock. Customer service will also give you a new PCB if you need one.

Edited by trj22487