IGNORED

Beat Ninja Gaiden for the first time ever.

rockyyaknow

3 minutes ago, rockyyaknow said:

I never really tried too grind it out till today and finally beat it.  I'm going to keep this short and sweet.  This game is an absolute pain in the ass!

True dat! I go years without getting the itch to beat it again just because it's such a bastard. I have an easier time beating the 3rd one than the first.

Congrats by the way! You ever beat the other ones?

3 minutes ago, cartman said:

Wasn't there some sport where you basically had to exploit a glitch or else you couldn't beat it? Could this game be beaten legit?

There's a spot in 6-2 where you can despawn the "hammer brother" on the small platform rather than trying to jump and slash him. You don't need to do it, it just makes it a fuckton easier.

Stage-6-2-Jump.jpg

Just now, Tulpa said:

There's a spot in 6-2 where you can despawn the "hammer brother" on the small platform rather than trying to jump and slash him. You don't need to do it, it just makes it a fuckton easier.

Yeah I do that everytime.  What drove me nuts was those bouncy guys in 6-3 they take a lot of damage off me not leaving me much for the boss.

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The only spot in level six that still gives me trouble is the part in section 2 with the jetpack ninjas.

I did start getting real good at level 6 its just that part at the begging of the last part in 6-3 where those 4 bouncy guys are all over you before you get the time stopper to freeze them.

3 minutes ago, rockyyaknow said:

I did start getting real good at level 6 its just that part at the begging of the last part in 6-3 where those 4 bouncy guys are all over you before you get the time stopper to freeze them.

I think I take out one of them when I'm on the column with the boomerang star (or maybe I just slash him while falling; can't remember.) Then drop down and haul ass to get that time stopper to freeze the other three. If you do it right, you sail right by them. There's a health restore right before them, too.

Edited by Tulpa

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I think I take out one of them when I'm on the column with the boomerang star (or maybe I just slash him while falling; can't remember.) Then drop down and haul ass to get that time stopper to freeze the other three. If you do it right, you sail right by them. There's a health restore right before them, too.

Too me a handful of tries before I finally didn't get hit.  I threw like 3 of those rising fire shots and wiped I think three out froze the forth.  Or I still might be grinding away haha.

29 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Stage-6-2-Jump.jpg

I see. Maybe it was some boss that couldn't be beaten legit i don't remember i just have this feeling of some kind.

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

I see. Maybe it was some boss that couldn't be beaten legit i don't remember i just have this feeling of some kind.

Jaquio (second of the three final bosses) is tough with the seeking fireballs. Some people resort to using the spin slash, but since you lose it after the cut scene between him and the first boss, you have to die on him, play 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3 again, pick up the spin slash somewhere, and fight him again.

I just stick to the walls to dodge the fireballs, then jump and slash him. Takes a while, but it's the way to go if you're trying to do it in one run. You just have to time the jump and slash carefully, because if you run into him he takes three whole bars away for each collision.

Edited by Tulpa

13 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Jaquio (second of the three final bosses) is tough with the seeking fireballs. Some people resort to using the spin slash, but since you lose it after the cut scene between him and the first boss, you have to die on him, play 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3 again, pick up the spin slash somewhere, and fight him again.

I just stick to the walls to dodge the fireballs, then jump and slash him. Takes a while, but it's the way to go if you're trying to do it in one run. You just have to time the jump and slash carefully, because if you run into him he takes three whole bars away for each collision.

But you don't have to die if you don't use that powerup? I don't remember much about this game altough i think i beat it. 

13 minutes ago, cartman said:

But you don't have to die if you don't use that powerup? I don't remember much about this game altough i think i beat it. 

When you defeat any boss, you lose your powerup (but your health gets refilled.) So after you defeat the first final boss (the masked devil?), you can't use the spin slash (or anything else) on the last two bosses. If you die on one of the last two, you can go back and get a weapon and use it on the boss(es) that remain. A lot of people like to cheese the bosses using the spin slash whenever they can, even if it means losing a life.

But I never liked doing that. Jaquio's tough, but he's beatable with just the sword. The whole game can be beat with just the sword. The final boss, Jashin, is a joke compared to Jaquio.

Edited by Tulpa

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

A lot of people like to cheese the bosses using the spin slash whenever they can, even if it means losing a life.

But I never liked doing that. Jaquio's tough, but he's beatable with just the sword. The whole game can be beat with just the sword. The final boss, Jashin, is a joke compared to Jaquio.

Yeah!! No time for cheese strats here!

Ninja Gaiden is one of the absolute best games on the NES, and you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. But the boss fights is generally a weakness of the game. Mostly pointless, going down in no time with little effort - and one of them even rewards just tanking damage rather than trying to avoid it.
But then there's Jaquio! Despite its simplicity, this boss fight is just amazing IMO. Like the rest of the game, it is equal parts puzzle and execution, and avoiding being hunted down by fireballs that refuse the leave the screen is the key here. Pull up your pants and fight the guy like a real ninja, or you'll be missing out on one of the absolutely most memorable boss fights of the 8-bit era.

Congratulations! Ninja Gaiden was one of a handful of NES games that I couldn't beat as a kid and never did until my mid 20s when I got back into playing them again. You could always go for a 1cc or no death run now. That's not as tough as it sounds when you've beaten the game. If you can remember where the spin slash weapon is and manage to keep it through the entire level, it makes the game much easier. It's basically as playing Castlevania and keeping the Holy Water except you can carry it with you through the entire game. 

OP, you the guy who played through and no-deathed all of the Mega Man games, and chronicled your progress on NintendoAge?

Congrats, regardless.  I need to play this game a bit more. It's my 8yo daughter's favorite NES game.  She can barely get past the first stage, but she loves it.

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

If you die on one of the last two, you can go back and get a weapon and use it on the boss(es) that remain. A lot of people like to cheese the bosses using the spin slash whenever they can, even if it means losing a life.

Does this mean each boss that you defeat on stage 6 stays defeated even after you die or get a game-over? I've only ever made it to the first of the bosses, but I just assumed they all had to be beaten consecutively each time you made it through the level. Knowing that you only have to take out one each time you reach the boss encounter would be a huge motivation to try tackling this game again!

-CasualCart

Yeah, each of them stays dead. Like Tulpa said, it means you can keep subweapons for the later ones and cheese them.

This is the least fun way to beat the game, but at least it gives people an easier option.

The first of the three bosses is very simple though. It'll easily kill you when you come unprepared, but as soon as you see its pattern, you probably won't ever get hit by it again.

Edited by Sumez

39 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Does this mean each boss that you defeat on stage 6 stays defeated even after you die or get a game-over? I've only ever made it to the first of the bosses, but I just assumed they all had to be beaten consecutively each time you made it through the level. Knowing that you only have to take out one each time you reach the boss encounter would be a huge motivation to try tackling this game again!

-CasualCart

The trade-off is if you die on any of the last three bosses, even with multiple lives left, you have to start again at level 6-1. And when you return to the boss you died on, you don't get your health refilled (that only happens after a cut scene, and they only play once per playthrough.) But if you're using the spin slash, that's an instant kill anyway, so health isn't a huge issue unless you have like one bar or something.