IGNORED

Beat Ninja Gaiden for the first time ever.

rockyyaknow

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Yeah!! No time for cheese strats here!

Ninja Gaiden is one of the absolute best games on the NES, and you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. But the boss fights is generally a weakness of the game. Mostly pointless, going down in no time with little effort - and one of them even rewards just tanking damage rather than trying to avoid it.
But then there's Jaquio! Despite its simplicity, this boss fight is just amazing IMO. Like the rest of the game, it is equal parts puzzle and execution, and avoiding being hunted down by fireballs that refuse the leave the screen is the key here. Pull up your pants and fight the guy like a real ninja, or you'll be missing out on one of the absolutely most memorable boss fights of the 8-bit era.

As a kid I tried to fight Bloody Malth "legit" by attempting to jump over his projectiles and I always got my ass kicked. The challenge when playing blind is having to catch on that you can't be defensive and that you need to tank him. Unfortunately that didn't dawn on me back in the day.

I used the spin slash when I first beat Jaquio. It was a great feeling just to see him finally go down in flames. But then I kept practicing until I could beat him with just the sword. It's easiest for me to cling to the wall and then jump and slash at him.

I'm impressed, I always fail at that, since being any higher than the floor when his fireballs move downwards, will cause them to turn around as they home in on you. As long as you stay on the floor, they'll despawn below you, so I try to just avoid them and only move up when I'm certain to get a hit in on him.

5 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm impressed, I always fail at that, since being any higher than the floor when his fireballs move downwards, will cause them to turn around as they home in on you. As long as you stay on the floor, they'll despawn below you, so I try to just avoid them and only move up when I'm certain to get a hit in on him.

Oh no, I mostly stay on the floor but then jump to the wall and attack Jaquio while also trying not to bump into him or the fireballs. Being hit by the fireballs is not such a big deal but bumping into Jaquio does three damage.  It takes some practice to get the timing down.

38 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I hadn't played Ninja Gaiden in a while so I decided to give it a go and managed to get a 1cc run in. For whatever reason I always like to stand triumphantly on top of the demon after I beat it.

1220191509.thumb.jpg.85827708f9fc28aeecd63647e357cc1b.jpg

Nice. I used to no-death it, but now I'm happy to get a 1CC since I rarely play it anymore.

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Nice. I used to no-death it, but now I'm happy to get a 1CC since I rarely play it anymore.

Same here. I used to be able to no death it in about 15 minutes without much trouble. I hadn't played it in almost a year so I wanted to see how I would do. I made some sloppy mistakes, but I managed to beat it with a life to spare. I tried the same thing with Castlevania last week and no deathed it on the first try. It's weird that I seem to get rusty at some games and not others after having not played them for extended periods of time.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Same here. I used to be able to no death it in about 15 minutes without much trouble. I hadn't played it in almost a year so I wanted to see how I would do. I made some sloppy mistakes, but I managed to beat it with a life to spare. I tried the same thing with Castlevania last week and no deathed it on the first try. It's weird that I seem to get rusty at some games and not others after having not played them for extended periods of time.

Some games require a substantial amount of memorization and these are the hardest for me when rusty. I'm thinking games like Ninja Gaiden III and Battletoads.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:24 AM, RH said:

OP, you the guy who played through and no-deathed all of the Mega Man games, and chronicled your progress on NintendoAge?

Congrats, regardless.  I need to play this game a bit more. It's my 8yo daughter's favorite NES game.  She can barely get past the first stage, but she loves it.

Yes that was me.  That's was a fun ride.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Some games require a substantial amount of memorization and these are the hardest for me when rusty. I'm thinking games like Ninja Gaiden III and Battletoads.

That was where I messed up. I used to have all of the power up locations memorized. I lost my spin slash after accidentally picking up a ninja star and I lost a life missing an easy jump. 

45 minutes ago, rockyyaknow said:

On Christmas I beat Gaiden 2 for the first time as well.  While level 7 was pretty frustrating I played it enough where I just memorized everything and it wasn't so bad then.  With only thr 5 continues 3 seems like it will be a lot harder.

Good job! I always found NG 2 to be tougher than the first one, but it could be just because I've spent a lot more time playing the first one. I haven't played NG 3 in a long time. That one is just insanely difficult.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Good job! I always found NG 2 to be tougher than the first one, but it could be just because I've spent a lot more time playing the first one. I haven't played NG 3 in a long time. That one is just insanely difficult.

Yeah. You know that NG3 is hard when we played it for the tournament finals last year under one life rules and only bertsampson was able to complete the game. I reached the first form of the final boss and then choked, but at least I beat skinny's score.

27 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. You know that NG3 is hard when we played it for the tournament finals last year under one life rules and only bertsampson was able to complete the game. I reached the first form of the final boss and then choked, but at least I beat skinny's score.

I would hope so! 😂 If Bert beat that game on one life, apparently he's getting into @rdrunner territory. I beat Bert for the 2015 title, but he pushed me every bit of the way and he seems like he's even better now. Next season will be interesting. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

8 hours ago, rockyyaknow said:

On Christmas I beat Gaiden 2 for the first time as well.  While level 7 was pretty frustrating I played it enough where I just memorized everything and it wasn't so bad then.  With only thr 5 continues 3 seems like it will be a lot harder.

I have always thought NGII was the easiest out of the original NES trilogy..I dunno maybe because of the ability to body split ,which I think is the coolest feature to be added to any NG title ..