IGNORED

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)

NESfiend

I bought this game a few weeks ago and keep going back to it. I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone raving about it. Yes, its a little slow, but it doesn't seem to affect game play much, if at all. Its really only noticable to me when it says "Fight!" there is about a 5 second delay before it starts. There are more characters and moves then you could ever learn and the combo feature is great. I think my copy of street fighter 2 is going to get dusty now that I have this. What are other peoples' thoughts on the game?

Considering Alpha 3 is one of the best Street Fighter titles ever made, and already perfectly ported to the Saturn (but even the DC and PS1 versions are super good IMO, though people will shoot me for claiming that 😛), it's hard to get invested at all in Alpha 2.

It does have its own qualities though. Not sure I'd play the SNES version though, as it's a pretty terrible port objectively speaking. The other ports are superior in every way, but at least the SNES one is notable for being one of the most impressive cartridges on the platform!

2 hours ago, austin532 said:

Not sure. They are most likely different. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed with friends though.

Yeah man, I won't go as far as to say it's not fun to play the game. Hell, I'd play it just to see how amazing stuff can look on the SNES.
It's just that there's a very good reason it gets "overlooked", and its name is Street Fighter Alpha 3. It's not unusual to find people who prefer 2, but those people don't prefer the SNES version.

A more sorry state is how the early marvel/capcom crossovers tend to get overlooked due to the pure splendor of MvC2, but the original X-Men vs. Street Fighter is a super fun game, and I actually prefer it.

Edited by Sumez

Alpha 2 has the distinction of being the final game Capcom published on the SNES. Although it's technically the worst port of Alpha 2 to home consoles, it is a technical marvel that Capcom was able to successfully cram a CPS2 arcade game onto a 16-bit console. It was a fitting swan song for Capcom on the SNES.

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I bought this game a few weeks ago and keep going back to it. I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone raving about it. Yes, its a little slow, but it doesn't seem to affect game play much, if at all. Its really only noticable to me when it says "Fight!" there is about a 5 second delay before it starts. There are more characters and moves then you could ever learn and the combo feature is great. I think my copy of street fighter 2 is going to get dusty now that I have this. What are other peoples' thoughts on the game?

I think it gets unjustly often dumped on because of the fact it's not on par with the arcade game.  Many years ago there was a fascinating comparative study (more than one group did too) of the vanilla SFA2 release for the SNES, PS1, Saturn, and PC at the time against the arcade.  The most amazing thing to me that stuck was the SNES was NOT the worst, the PS1 was.  The PS1 got dumped on for having even more dropped(if not much) visuals, load times, and many sequences (like opening) removed and replaced with a trashy low quality FMV copy.  I remember little bits about comparing the amount of shadows during a super, the sparks off a special hitting (dragon punch, etc) move making an impact etc.  The SNES got called out fairly, the 4 sec lag (due to the decompression of the audio assets), and the stripped to minimal extras and per character winner endings.

The SNES game is just strangely unique as it works and well, just not perfect to the arcade, but not that far much off it either as to really mess with you either.  The thing is for me, I HATE SFA3 the overkill roster, the swap out styles, it's just over bearing and obnoxiously annoying.  SFA2 is my preferred game and even the original I'm happy enough with too.  I know SFA2 well enough and I'm comfy playing it on SNES.  Back in the day I think another HUGE problem was the $60 price tag at the same time the N64 was peddling Super Mario 64 and others for $10 less.  It was a big reach and it just didn't move well.  I got it, but from NOA direct when I found out they sold games IF you asked about it through the 800# and they'd sell you a new game and manual, but no box for $20 which to me was a steal to have SFA2 at home.

15 hours ago, Sumez said:

It's just that there's a very good reason it gets "overlooked", and its name is Street Fighter Alpha 3. It's not unusual to find people who prefer 2, but those people don't prefer the SNES version

I'm one of those people. If I'm going to play sf alpha 1,2 or gold it's going to be on the Sega Saturn.