IGNORED

Flash cart thread (Powerpak, Everdrive, SD2SNES, etc)

Tulpa

21 hours ago, wongojack said:

Bumping an old thread as I think my question fits here:

I find myself with 2 Mega Drives.  I have a (now discontinued) Mega Everdrive x7 and a Mega EverDrive x3.  The X3 seems to be much newer than the x7 but I got them both second hand.  Here are the comparison pages for both:

Mega EverDrive X3 (krikzz.com)

Mega EverDrive X7 (krikzz.com)

Now, I'm not really a Mega/Genesis expert, and I haven't used these things very much so understanding all the ins and outs is tough.  I am going to get rid of one of these and am having trouble deciding which one to sell.  What would be the recommendation of this community?

----------

• More info from the carts themselves
  • Mega EverDrive x3
  • Generation: Model 16
  • OS Ver 3.13
  • MegaKey Mode - Software
  • Assembly Date 19.5.2020

---

• Mega EverDrive x7
  • Generation: Model 15
  • OS Ver 3.06
  • MegaKey Mode - Hardware
  • Assembly Date 8.1.2018

This is the manual:  Mega Everdrive-v2 user manual EN.pdf (krikzz.com)

One thing that is different that I notice from browsing the menus is that "Game RAM to SD" and "SD to Game RAM" seems to be greyed out in the options of the x3.  I don't fully understand what those options are, but it seems to only be available on the x7.

I can't tell you much, because I purchased all of my flash carts before there were different "versions" to pick from.  The only exception for me was the SD2SNES which was an option over the Super Everdrive at the time.  All of the different versions came about later.

However, I can tell you this.  When Krizz starting selling different versions, he compared it to the automobile market with each version being a step up from the previous with the x3 being the entry level and the x7 being top of the line.  So I would guess that the x7 would be the superior model.  But again, that's just a guess on my part without looking anything up.  Since your x3 appears to be a little newer, it could possibly have additional features that were added after that x7 was sold.  

Hopefully someone who knows more can give you a better answer.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

Thanks - I was scratching my head a bit because I just haven't been active into Genesis . . . stuff.  For the links I shared, the two tables don't have the same values in the individual rows for the various carts listed, so it was hard to do a comparison. Here's the details I discovered that matter to me: x7 has save states and can play roms from other regions (with the hardware Megakey).

Edited by wongojack

53 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Thanks - I was scratching my head a bit because I just haven't been active into Genesis . . . stuff.  For the links I shared, the two tables don't have the same values in the individual rows for the various carts listed, so it was hard to do a comparison. Here's the details I discovered that matter to me: x7 has save states and can play roms from other regions (with the hardware Megakey).

Most of the Krikzz brand flash carts have x3/x5/x7 versions to represent the different levels and features.  It's not unique to the Genesis flash carts.  Stone Age Gamer sells many of the models, and they offers ways to compare the different models.  I haven't been to Krikzz's website or forum in a long time, but I'm assuming he would have something that compares the differences.  

10 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Most of the Krikzz brand flash carts have x3/x5/x7 versions to represent the different levels and features.  It's not unique to the Genesis flash carts.  Stone Age Gamer sells many of the models, and they offers ways to compare the different models.  I haven't been to Krikzz's website or forum in a long time, but I'm assuming he would have something that compares the differences.  

Yes, I linked to Krikzz's website in my post on the previous page.  As I said, the tables for the x7 and x3 had different values in the rows on their respective pages that didn't offer a clear comparison.  Feel free to click the links to get re-acquainted with that site.  The deciding factors for me are the ability to use save states and built-in multi-region gaming on the x7.

2 hours ago, CMR said:

I would get the Mega Everdrive Pro for the Sega CD support.

https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/mega-everdrive-pro.html

In my case, I already own 2 Mega Everdrives, so I'm not interested in purchasing a third.  Although, the Sega CD support would be nice.

• Like 1