IGNORED

Flash cart thread (Powerpak, Everdrive, SD2SNES, etc)

Tulpa

That it does.  I've got this very small setup of around a dozen legit FC games of which like 75-80% of them are Konami titles, and one of them is Akumajo Densetsu.  I've tried playing it straight using my honeybee on my hi-def nes kit setup top loader, and I've tried using the ROM dump on the everdrive n8(NES style) on there and they both look, play, and sound the same entirely and match up to quality emulator output on PC too.  There should really be no concern.

My NES Everdrive came Monday and I could make Howard Hughes look like a social butterfly. Luckily it came preloaded with the entire library so it saved me a lot of time downloading games. If someone went back in time and told the 7 year old me it would be possible to have the entire NES library on one cart I would have thought you were crazy.

Oh, well if we are now on about all of them I currently own one for Famicom, PC Engine/T16 and Sega Master System, still would like one for Genesis and Super Nintendo one day, maybe a few others if I were rich and all but are not of great importance like game gear, gb/gbc/gba, neo geo and so forth.

When I decided enough was enough I picked up multiple kits, many/most both on deals and second hand gently used, but I did get a few new though too.  As it is now I've got the Everdrives for the NES, GB, PCE, and N64.  Then there's the SD2SNES, EZ Flash Omega for GBA, the RetroHQ NGPC kit, and I did have that poor flashboy for VB but dumped it knowing a modern style kit comes next year.

I could get one for the NeoGeo still but it's too expensive that I can't justify it given I got my system with the 161in1 as it is anyway, but also picked up quite a few other legit games too that it did and didn't have listed.  The DS I could grab one for, but I'm starting to waffle on keeping the thing, moreso the PSP though, that I both found earlier in the summer.  Too much and too little time.

I got my MegaSD in today.  This thing is sweet.  CD games play perfectly.  I hope they do an NES flash cart someday.  I have an everdrive N8 and I'm honestly not that impressed with it.  None of the experimental firmware packs work on it, so I'm stuck with the vanilla version which honestly isn't any better than the powerpak.  Actually, I would say my powerpak is better because I've been able to upgrade it with new mappers.  The only thing I can't use it with is VRC7 audio.  I know you can get updated mappers for the N8, but I didn't have much luck with them either.  They either didn't work, broke compatibility with other games, or broke the N8 altogether.  It also doesn't help that Krikzz is always working on a new version of his carts.  The Terraonion stuff is expensive, but I haven't regretted buying either the Super SD System 3 or the MegaSD.  Even with firmware updates, I've still felt like I got a completed product.

10 hours ago, CMR said:

I got my MegaSD in today.  This thing is sweet.  CD games play perfectly.  I hope they do an NES flash cart someday.  I have an everdrive N8 and I'm honestly not that impressed with it.  None of the experimental firmware packs work on it, so I'm stuck with the vanilla version which honestly isn't any better than the powerpak.  Actually, I would say my powerpak is better because I've been able to upgrade it with new mappers.  The only thing I can't use it with is VRC7 audio.  I know you can get updated mappers for the N8, but I didn't have much luck with them either.  They either didn't work, broke compatibility with other games, or broke the N8 altogether.  It also doesn't help that Krikzz is always working on a new version of his carts.  The Terraonion stuff is expensive, but I haven't regretted buying either the Super SD System 3 or the MegaSD.  Even with firmware updates, I've still felt like I got a completed product.

I just got the MegaSD on Monday and I can confirm that it is a great product.  I was using a mega everdrive x7 before but this one is way better.  It's really nice having the entire library on one sd card.

• 4 years later...

Bumping an old thread as I think my question fits here:

I find myself with 2 Mega Drives.  I have a (now discontinued) Mega Everdrive x7 and a Mega EverDrive x3.  The X3 seems to be much newer than the x7 but I got them both second hand.  Here are the comparison pages for both:

Mega EverDrive X3 (krikzz.com)

Mega EverDrive X7 (krikzz.com)

Now, I'm not really a Mega/Genesis expert, and I haven't used these things very much so understanding all the ins and outs is tough.  I am going to get rid of one of these and am having trouble deciding which one to sell.  What would be the recommendation of this community?

----------

• More info from the carts themselves
  • Mega EverDrive x3
  • Generation: Model 16
  • OS Ver 3.13
  • MegaKey Mode - Software
  • Assembly Date 19.5.2020

---

• Mega EverDrive x7
  • Generation: Model 15
  • OS Ver 3.06
  • MegaKey Mode - Hardware
  • Assembly Date 8.1.2018

This is the manual:  Mega Everdrive-v2 user manual EN.pdf (krikzz.com)

One thing that is different that I notice from browsing the menus is that "Game RAM to SD" and "SD to Game RAM" seems to be greyed out in the options of the x3.  I don't fully understand what those options are, but it seems to only be available on the x7.

19 minutes ago, cartman said:

Will ROM files ever get corrupted as the SD card ages?

It has never happened to me, but I suppose anything is possible.  I keep all of my files on a hard drive (along with a backup).  But within those folders, I always have a copy of the exact layout of my SD card for each of my flash carts.  That way, if something happens to my SD card, I can recreate it in a matter of minutes.  I spend a lot of time setting up my SD cards because I just want to include the files I want to play.  I usually include a folder for "cheats" with separate copies of the ROMs with the cheat codes built it.  I also sometimes include separate folders for imports or hacks.  I definitely don't want to rebuild any of those, so having a copy or backup is a good idea.  

• Agree 1