IGNORED

Nintendo Power Super Mario 2 Club

Good afternoon, and thank you for adding me to this forum. I have been a long time Nintendo fanatic and have a piece of memorabilia I would like to get some information about and potentially what something like this would be worth. Over the years, I have scoured the internet looking for similar pieces to see if they have been sold or even to get more information about them and to this point I have come up empty handed.

This jacket was given to me as a gift when I was really young and it appears to be some sort of send away type of piece via Nintendo Power magazine a popular Nintendo magazine from back in the day. I used to feel pretty darn cool wearing this to school with my friends and I'd like to share the pictures with you to get some feedback, information, or any information about what something like this would be worth. At the very least I think it is an awesome piece of Nintendo history!

Any information provided, would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Riftshaper

Jacket1.jpg

Jacket2.jpg

Jacket3.jpg

• Like 2

I can't help but I will say it's surprising to me just how rarely people sent off for this stuff.  Most of the $$$, non-game stuff out there is always from a mail-off flyer or catalog.

Even for Nintendo Power stuff like this, I have no clue how many they made but the probably sold fewer than 100.  Just a guess.

Regardless, thanks for showing this off. I'm sure I couldn't afford it, but I love it.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I love it too, and I am not gonna lie I felt like a BAMF wearing it to elementary school.  I am not sure if I could ever sell it but at the same time I am curious about the worth, rarity, and value of it.

Edited by Riftshaper

There is your jacket, one with red sleeves, and then I know of two rain ponchos (dif colors) that also used that graphic.

The red one was on ebay for a real long time and then I feel like someone got it, had Mario's voice sign it, and now it's up again? Maybe that was in a FB group.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is the one I mentioned earlier.  It seems it has a signature so I am assuming that increases the value, but I imagine the jacket by itself is pretty rare seeing as this is the ONLY other one I have seen and it doesn't even completely match what I have.  For what it is worth, I also have a copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 :-).

ebay listing for that jacket

Edited by Riftshaper
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Riftshaper said:

Here is the one I mentioned earlier.  It seems it has a signature so I am assuming that increases the value, but I imagine the jacket by itself is pretty rare seeing as this is the ONLY other one I have seen and it doesn't even completely match what I have.  For what it is worth, I also have a copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 :-).

ebay listing for that jacket

You know who that is though, right?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Yes I do know who that is, which is why I am trying to get an approximation of the coat itself 🙂.  This is the first one I have seen, which is why I am trying to get some history, more information, etc. to try to figure out what I have.

I found it a little strange that none of the picture show the actual signature of it.  And it reading the description it looks like he was unable to sign it but rather "
i will do my best to answer them it also got 4 smile face drawn on there by Mr Mario him self Charles Martinet was try to have him sign it but it wasn't showing up the best but nice lil extra touch and i have a few pictures of him drawing on it enjoy"

Also, I will be going to Collect-A-Con this summer in Edison NJ and he (Charles Martinet) is supposed to be a guest there signing autographs so I likely will try to get him to sign that and my copy of Super Mario Bros. 2

Edited by Riftshaper

The Martinet signature doesn't really make much sense to me, considering he didn't get the gig until 8 years later. I would rather see Lou Albano but he is no longer with us.

The asking price and what someone can really sell it for are often far apart. I think that is the case with the $5K jacket. Keep your eye on it, I predict it doesn't sell in the two days left on the listing.

• Agree 1

Really neat piece, it would be worth much, much more if it was in an adult size that someone could wear currently. You've stated you do not intend to sell it, but in this case it may be the only way to determine it's market value. Listing it at $0.99 and let it ride to establish a price point.

Count, thank you for the post and that was something that I had considered.  I have no idea what other sizes that jacket came in back in the day, I'd probably sport it today if it is was in an adult size.  That being said given the nature of it and age I think it would look great in a box frame on a wall, probably what I will end up going with it.

As mentioned, I intend to try to get an autograph on it and noticed the other seller had some issues with the markers used to try to sign it.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of markers, pens, etc. would potentially be more suitable to sign it?  I imagine that people that do autographs use sharpies or some sort of permanent marker.

@Link do you think it would hinder the value getting him to sign it?  Or do you think it would be better to have him sign the Mario Bros 2 game or something to that nature.  I kind of thought the same thing since he didn't really do the voice of Mario until his voice was depicted in later games (past the NES/SNES eras).

My opinion is that it would hinder. I don't really collect things like this but from this thread ↓ it seems the general consensus is that unrelated signatures don't help a collectible's value. 

"Whats your opinion on getting game related stuff signed by people who didn't have anything to do with it?"

If Martinet is the guy whose sig you can get I would track down a game he was in or promo material, Mario 64 probably primarily but there is no shortage of choice.

• Agree 1

Thank you very much for the feedback and posting that other thread.  I really appreciate everyone's feedback to this point concerning the jacket. I likely will end up listing it on Ebay eventually to test the waters and see how much intrigue it garners amongst fans, collectors, etc.

31 minutes ago, Riftshaper said:

A fake game?  I assume you mean the Doki Doki vs Super Mario Bros 2 port between Japan and the states?  Also who knows maybe it is a nod to The Lost Levels 🙂

Don't worry, it's an old joke around here.  There was several pages of discussion about how SMB2 is NOT a real SMB game, (or is it?!)

@docile tapeworm was one of the most adamant that it was NOT an actual Mario game. 

• Like 1