IGNORED

June Movie: Planet of the Vampires

June Movie Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Movie nominations

• Riki-Oh (The Story of Ricky) -1991
    • Planet Of The Vampires - 1965 (possible double feature: Queen of Blood -1966)
    • Battle Beyond the Stars - 1980
    • Prayer of the Roller Boys -1990
    • Robot Jox - 1989

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/2024 at 07:12 PM

Not really sure if I'm suggesting it or not, but I watched "Mutant" from 1984 last night and it occurred to me that it could be easily turned into a drinking game wherein you do a shot every time Wings Hauser says or does something stupid.  Not only would that make it more fun but you might be dead by the end of the first act...

Posted (edited)

I'll throw "Planet Of The Vampires" (1965) back into the ring as we have not been to space yet.

The second comment down suggests pairing this one up with "Queen Of Blood" (1966) which I have to agree would make for a killer double feature.  Just checked and it is on YT as well.  

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PII said:

I'll throw "Planet Of The Vampires" back into the ring as we have not been to space yet.

The second comment down suggests pairing this one up with "Queen Of Blood" which I have to agree would make for a killer double feature.  Just checked and it is on YT as well.  

That Queen of Blood poster looks awesome! The colours really pop and I've always loved the 60's horror/sci fi style in movie poster of that era.

3 minutes ago, Brickman said:

That Queen of Blood poster looks awesome! The colours really pop and I've always loved the 60's horror/sci fi style in movie poster of that era.

Agreed, it is gorgeous!

On 5/28/2024 at 7:21 PM, G-type said:

also think we should just stick to 1 movie, since no one else talked about movie 2.

I didn't realize a movie 2 had specifically been chosen.  Which one was it?

1 hour ago, G-type said:

Streets of Fire was the runner up.

Oh, see.  Yeah, that one looked good.  Only one I didn't have immediate access to though...  Prolly get my hands on it some day..

Wow, Streets Of Fire is a really unique piece of film.  Can't believe I hadn't heard of it before.  It has a lot of little problems that don't really detract too much from it overall and one big problem with the script not always making good sense / being overly unrealistic at times -who ever heard of a biker gang that isn't perpetually armed with guns?  But if I had seen this in 1984 I think I would have shit myself, it's that good if you just look past the shortcomings and it's just a little difficult to believe that it faired so poorly.  Saddest thing is, the end leaves you pining for a sequel with these characters because it manages then to feel like things are just beginning.  I read through the Wikipedia entry on the film as well which may have been as strange as the film itself.  Among other oddities it states that the budget was 14.5 million dollars and then goes on to state that the film went 14 million dollars over budget.  Visually its incredible and easy on the ears as well...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 3:33 AM, PII said:

Wow, Streets Of Fire is a really unique piece of film.  Can't believe I hadn't heard of it before.  It has a lot of little problems that don't really detract too much from it overall and one big problem with the script not always making good sense / being overly unrealistic at times -who ever heard of a biker gang that isn't perpetually armed with guns?  But if I had seen this in 1984 I think I would have shit myself, it's that good if you just look past the shortcomings and it's just a little difficult to believe that it faired so poorly.  Saddest thing is, the end leaves you pining for a sequel with these characters because it manages then to feel like things are just beginning.  I read through the Wikipedia entry on the film as well which may have been as strange as the film itself.  Among other oddities it states that the budget was 14.5 million dollars and then goes on to state that the film went 14 million dollars over budget.  Visually its incredible and easy on the ears as well...

Streets of Fire is mostly* a great movie as long as you just settle into the alternate universe and not try to make it fit any rational scheme of things.  (That awesome car is a heavily modified '51 Mercury convertible.)  Fell in love with the movie when I cold bought it out of a budget laserdisc bin back in the day.  One of my two favorite soundtracks - the other being Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis.

*The ending is a fairly big letdown though.

My favorite scene:

Plus it has Debra Van Valkenburgh - who is sadly underutilized in the film.

Albert Pyun (of all people) did a sequel (more of a re-envisioning/elaboration of the original's world.  IMHO his best film -  edges out Radioactive Dreams by a good margin.

Roxy Gunn (who plays Ellen Aim and Tom Cody's daughter) does a very impressive lip sync/cover of Nowhere Fast.

https://youtu.be/I0usACwH5fo

Edited by Tabonga

On 5/28/2024 at 5:14 PM, PII said:

Not really sure if I'm suggesting it or not, but I watched "Mutant" from 1984 last night and it occurred to me that it could be easily turned into a drinking game wherein you do a shot every time Wings Hauser says or does something stupid.  Not only would that make it more fun but you might be dead by the end of the first act...

If nothing else Wings Hauser is a pretty awesome screen handle.

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

come on slackers

Alright then, I nominate Prayer of the Roller Boys starring Corey Haim and Patricia Arquette.  Under cover Corey infiltrates a rollerblade gang pushing drugs in a dystopian future.

YouTube's got a decent rip 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2