IGNORED

Vote Here for the Indie NES Game Hall of Fame!

Seth

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

That's because the game was designed as a caravan shooter. Were the others designed to be caravan shooters too or were they just designed to be technically and graphically impressive shooters?

As though a longer form game couldn't implement similar trappings? The fact that there's a time limit is a boon as it creates a more honed experience and provides a unique challenge. That same time limit doesn't invalidate it from the conversation nor mean that we can't compare similarly styled games which are themselves not bound by that same time limit. 

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

As though a longer form game couldn't implement similar trappings?

It's likely a similar situation as short stories, short short stories, novels, and novellas. There will be different conventions in how tightly the game (or story) is crafted. With short short stories, every word matters, whereas in a novel, not so much. So different scale comes into play here with caravan shooters versus regular shooters. That's why although they are similar in some ways, just as short stories and novels are both similar in many ways, there are also differences to consider.

17 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It's likely a similar situation as short stories, short short stories, novels, and novellas. There will be different conventions in how tightly the game (or story) is crafted. With short short stories, every word matters, whereas in a novel, not so much. So different scale comes into play here with caravan shooters versus regular shooters. That's why although they are similar in some ways, just as short stories and novels are both similar in many ways, there are also differences to consider.

Recca is a caravan shooter that also has a long format shooter form. So you can absolutely scale it up as Gloves has said.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Recca is a caravan shooter that also has a long format shooter form. So you can absolutely scale it up as Gloves has said.

Yeah man, I know about Recca as I own it.

My point still stands though. Gloves feels that Blade Buster is superior to the others, and he provides support for his feelings. He mentions (indirectly) the fact that the game is a caravan shooter, as opposed to a plain vanilla shooter. To pull it off well, you need to tightly craft the game, and that's what the author of Blade Buster did. It's similar to writing a short story or something even smaller than that. It has to be carefully crafted, every single word counts, every single punctuation mark, etc.

Can someone take a short story and scale it up to a novella or a novel? Sure. Could someone take a caravan shooter and scale it up to a regular shooter? Sure. Similarly could someone take a novella and trim it down to its essentials and turn it into a short story, or turn a shooter into a caravan shooter? Absolutely, someone could! But to do it well takes careful planning, and a lot of considerations. It would be interesting to see what the author of Blade Buster would have created if his, her or their objective was to create a regular shooter rather than a caravan shooter. Just something to think about.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Well, yeah, I could say Reddit, Facebook, and any number of places that discuss homebrew games.

Any actual discussion you can link to?

Within the first two pages of the forum:

HABit Carnival Shooting (famicomworld.com)

Over Obj (famicomworld.com)

Chouyoku Senki Estique, another impressive STG homebrew (famicomworld.com)

Over there basically the only homebrew or indie releases people are talking about are the shrimps, and before then it was when everyone was complaining about the format used for the music carts.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Recca is a caravan shooter

Any more voting slates for the Indie NES Hall of Fame, gents? 😜

Seriously, loving these slates! I am seeing so many games we are not seeing at the other voting sites, so your input is absolutely critical.

(For instance, Blade Buster may well make the Hall purely due to input from this group; it’s rarely mentioned elsewhere—I mean on U.S. NES homebrew community chats in 2024—which is truly unfortunate).

Also, I can update you all and say that a shocking total of 132 (!) different NES homebrews have now received at least one HoF vote between the first open voting period (2022) and this one! That is such a testament to how incredibly vibrant the NES Renaissance is!

Edited by Seth

On 4/24/2024 at 8:50 PM, a3quit4s said:

My dude Tilt Bro ain’t even out yet 😂 

Technically it is out since 2018: version 1.0 was released physically with nine copies for a local event. The 2.0 you are waiting today comes from a series of patches over the years, all publicly available, so there is a point to say it is the same game!

(The 1.0 had no Wi-Fi, only one character, and four stages sharing the same tileset.)

Anyway, legal or not, do not hesitate to mention it, I am the happiest man in the world each time I see a mention. Thanks @Gloves ❤️

Now that I emerged from the shadow, let's use my ten votes:

1. Micro Mages
  2. Nim & Nom
  3. Slow Mole
  4. Super Homebrew War
  5. Chibi Monster Brawl
  6. Project Blue
  7. Twin Dragons
  8. Full Quiet
  9. L'Abbaye des morts
  10. Alfonzo's Arctic Adventure
  • Love 1

• The Incident
  • Battle Kid (I haven't played the sequel yet)
  • 8 Bit X-Mas 2013
  • Legend Of Link
  • Deadpool

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned The Incident yet, though I guess it's not really a technical marvel in any way, it was just really fun. Battle Kid was a good game but it was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life, I nreally snapped my controller in half on multiple occassions. Legend Of Link and Deadpool both use assets from other games but I'm willing to bet some of the other games mentioned also use routines and sub-routines borrowed from other games for collision / movement / sprite management.

IMG20240426142143-2.jpg

Moderator · Posted
On 4/25/2024 at 2:40 PM, The Count said:

In no particular order:

1. Tailgate Party

2. Battle Kid

3. Jay & Silent Bob: Mall Brawl

4. Garage Cart

5. Armed for Battle

6. Cornball Cocksuckers

This is a great list. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:
  • The Incident
  • Battle Kid (I haven't played the sequel yet)
  • 8 Bit X-Mas 2013
  • Legend Of Link
  • Deadpool

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned The Incident yet, though I guess it's not really a technical marvel in any way, it was just really fun. Battle Kid was a good game but it was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life, I nreally snapped my controller in half on multiple occassions. Legend Of Link and Deadpool both use assets from other games but I'm willing to bet some of the other games mentioned also use routines and sub-routines borrowed from other games for collision / movement / sprite management.

IMG20240426142143-2.jpg

Legend of Link and Deadpool are hacks, pretty sure they're ineligible. 

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Legend of Link and Deadpool are hacks, pretty sure they're ineligible. 

Far be it for me to step up in Code Monkey's defense ( 😛 ), but the two games he listed are on the page Seth linked, and I didn't see anything that said they weren't eligible. By Code Monkey Logictm they should qualify, no? 

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Far be it for me to step up in Code Monkey's defense ( 😛 ), but the two games he listed are on the page Seth linked, and I didn't see anything that said they weren't eligible. By Code Monkey Logictm they should qualify, no? 

I'm not Seth so I can't really say, and I didn't honestly look. I just assumed, frankly, cuz I see no reason to include sprite swaps and asset relocation mods as eligible in a "hall of fame for indie games". Cuz they're not that. 

53 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm not Seth so I can't really say

30 NES games that have often been called hacks—out of the 1,500+ NES hacks out there—have been ruled Original Homebrew Equivalents by RETRO due to their significant code additions.

Deadpool and Legend of Link are on that list, but 99%+ of hacks are not.

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, Seth said:

30 NES games that have often been called hacks—out of the 1,500+ NES hacks out there—have been ruled Original Homebrew Equivalents by RETRO due to their significant code additions.

Deadpool and Legend of Link are on that list, but 99%+ of hacks are not.

I don't agree with it, but it's not my publication. You do you. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

🥰🥰🥰

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yeah that's totally my bad for thinking that logic would prevail.

TCH!

To be honest, I'd rather debate the merits of including sprite hacks in a homebrew discussion than listen to Dave rant about how caravan shooter development is akin to writing short stories.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:03 AM, Gloves said:

I'm not Seth so I can't really say, and I didn't honestly look. I just assumed, frankly, cuz I see no reason to include sprite swaps and asset relocation mods as eligible in a "hall of fame for indie games". Cuz they're not that. 

Yeah, I mean if sprite hacks with stolen IP count as indie games yet Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu is qualified due to its age, I'm really not sure what to say.

6 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’m still waiting for Hot Pot Runs I bought the book and everything

It's coming. I'll be jobless come August, should have a lot of free time on my hands and no money, which I guess is the perfect combination for staying at home and getting projects finished.